Sign in to follow this  
Andrea Guagnelli

Need help configuring bios for i7 975!

Hi I have a question about the settings in bios (motherboard Asus Rampage III Extreme) for a i7 975.As previously read on this forum, in addition to disable the turbo mode, which of these other items must be disabled/enabled to enjoy the full performance of FSX?For example, between the entries of the bios I find myself also:Hardware Prefetcher [Enabled]Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch [Enabled]Intel Virtualization Tech [Enabled]CPU TM Function [Enabled]Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]Intel HT Technology [Enabled]Intel Speedstep Tech [Enabled]Intel Turbo Mode Tech [Enabled]Sync Mode [Enabled] Allows you to enable / disable the synchronization with Turbo EVO V, or ROG OC Connect Station after system reboots.Overclock Tuner to [Manual]OC from CPU Level Up [Auto]CPU Ratio Setting [Auto]CPU Turbo Power Limit [Disabled]BCLK Frequency [133]PCIE Frequency [100]DRAM Frequency [Auto]UCLK Frequency [AUTO]QPI Link Data Rate [AUTO]Configuration Memory Protect [Disabled]Engine DIGI EXTREME +Digi + PWR Mode [T-Balanced] or [X-Power]Load Line Calibration [Auto]CPU Voltage OCP [Enabled]Extreme OV [Disabled]SPREAD SPECTRUM CONTROLCPU Spread Spectrum [Auto]PCIE Spread Spectrum [Auto]

Hyperthreading and speedstep should be disabled. The former generates heat (so I've read) and ht is unnecessary for fsx. The latter will keep your cpu clock constant, it'll otherwise fluctuate, good if you want to save power, but not good for fsx. And enter ram timings and voltage manually, no auto. Bjorn

Thank you for reponse.So do you mean that :C1E Support [Disabled?]Intel HT Technology [Disabled?]Intel Speedstep [Disabled?]Intel C-State Tech [Disabled?]Memory set manually to 1925mhz (cause 2000mhz is not present) vcore memory set manual 1.65625timing 9-9-9-28I'm also tryng to overclock manually CPU until 4.01GHz CPU ratio at 25.0CPU Turbo power limit DISABLEDBCLK at 160PCIE at 101UCLK Frequency at AUTOQPI Link Data Rate at AUTO.Is all ok? What do you mean?

Am I reading your post right? You have your vcore set to 1.65 volts? That is way to high, it is recommended that it not be higher than 1.4V, you are going to burn your CPU up!Here are my R3E BIOS settings and my 4.44GHz OC is rock solid stable.LN2 Mode: DisabledQPI Loadline Calibration: DisabledSync Mode: DisabledAI Overclock Tuner: ManualOC From CPU Level Up: Auto2D Performance Booster: DisabledCPU Ratio Setting: 27CPU Turbo Power Limit: DisabledBLCK Frequency: 164PCIE Frequency: 100DRAM Frequency: DDR3 1644MHzUCLK Frequency: 3287MHzQPI Link Data Rate: 5919MT/sMemory Configuration Protect: DisabledDRAM Timing Control1st Information :CAS# Latency: 6DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 7DRAM RAS# PRE Time: 6DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 182nd Information :DRAM Timing Mode: 1NCPU Differential Amplitude: AutoCPU Clock Skew: AutoIOH Clock Skew: AutoDigi+ Pwr Mode: T-BalancedPWM Volt. Control: AutoLoad-Line Calibration: Full CalibrationCPU Voltage OCP: EnabledCPU PWM Frequency: AutoExtreme OV: DisabledExtreme OC: AutoCPU Voltage: 1.36875CPU PLL Voltage: 1.82850QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.36875DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.66950IOH Voltage (NB): 1.20575IOH PCIE Voltage (NB): Auto (1.51)ICH Voltage (SB): 1.20575ICH PCIE Voltage (SB): AutoCPU Spread Spectrum: DisabledPCI Spread Spectrum: DisabledAdvance CPU SettingsCPU Ratio Setting: 27C1E Suppport: DisabledHardware Prefetcher: EnabledAdjacent Cache Line Prefetch: EnabledIntel® Virtualization Tech: DisabledCPU TM Function: Disabled Execute Disable Bit: DisabledIntel HT Techology: DisabledActive Processor Cores: AllA20M: DisabledIntel SpeedStep Tech: DisabledIntel C-STATE Tech: DisabledAdvanced Menu: PCIPnPPNP OS = Yes

Sorry I was wrong these are my tweak Voltage:CPU Voltage 1,442 [AUTO]CPU PLL Voltage 1,812 [AUTO]QPI/DRAM Core Voltage 1,455 [AUTO]DRAM Bus Voltage 1,65625Are all ok?

Am I reading your post right? You have your vcore set to 1.65 volts? That is way to high, it is recommended that it not be higher than 1.4V, you are going to burn your CPU up!Here are my R3E BIOS settings and my 4.44GHz OC is rock solid stable.LN2 Mode: DisabledQPI Loadline Calibration: DisabledSync Mode: DisabledAI Overclock Tuner: ManualOC From CPU Level Up: Auto2D Performance Booster: DisabledCPU Ratio Setting: 27CPU Turbo Power Limit: DisabledBLCK Frequency: 164PCIE Frequency: 100DRAM Frequency: DDR3 1644MHzUCLK Frequency: 3287MHzQPI Link Data Rate: 5919MT/sMemory Configuration Protect: DisabledDRAM Timing Control1st Information :CAS# Latency: 6DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 7DRAM RAS# PRE Time: 6DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 182nd Information :DRAM Timing Mode: 1NCPU Differential Amplitude: AutoCPU Clock Skew: AutoIOH Clock Skew: AutoDigi+ Pwr Mode: T-BalancedPWM Volt. Control: AutoLoad-Line Calibration: Full CalibrationCPU Voltage OCP: EnabledCPU PWM Frequency: AutoExtreme OV: DisabledExtreme OC: AutoCPU Voltage: 1.36875CPU PLL Voltage: 1.82850QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.36875DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.66950IOH Voltage (NB): 1.20575IOH PCIE Voltage (NB): Auto (1.51)ICH Voltage (SB): 1.20575ICH PCIE Voltage (SB): AutoCPU Spread Spectrum: DisabledPCI Spread Spectrum: DisabledAdvance CPU SettingsCPU Ratio Setting: 27C1E Suppport: DisabledHardware Prefetcher: EnabledAdjacent Cache Line Prefetch: EnabledIntel® Virtualization Tech: DisabledCPU TM Function: Disabled Execute Disable Bit: DisabledIntel HT Techology: DisabledActive Processor Cores: AllA20M: DisabledIntel SpeedStep Tech: DisabledIntel C-STATE Tech: DisabledAdvanced Menu: PCIPnPPNP OS = Yes
I have no words to thank Idahosurge. The setting you suggested and I am trying since last night is perfect and unique. I'm keeping the processor at a speed of 4 GHz and I hope that FSX will not freeze at any moment.The settings you suggested are PerfecT to flight with my system on FSX ! Now I'm flying at cruising speed to test how many hours do I keep open FSX until it crashes. FSX is around 200fps i never seen such a thing. If there are any negative developments will let you know, I send you a nice big hug from Italy. Grazie mille Ciao!

Glad that I could help Andrea!When overclocking I do not like to run voltages on auto, your CPU Voltage @ 1.442 is high for a 4GHz clock. I would not run it higher than 1.4 for 24/7 operation. Same thing with your QPI/Dram, 1.455 is high for a 4GHz clock, I would not run it higher than 1.45.CPU Voltage 1,442 [AUTO]CPU PLL Voltage 1,812 [AUTO]QPI/DRAM Core Voltage 1,455 [AUTO]DRAM Bus Voltage 1,65625I have a couple of comments since I do not know how much you know. I suggest you go read a couple of OC guides so you know what you are changing and why.http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...beginners.htmlhttp://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-usWhen overclocking you should stress test your system to make sure it is stable. When stress testing your OC for stability monitor your core temps with RealTempGT.http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/Here is a great calculator that you can use to try different BCLK, CPU Ratio, DRAM, UnCore and QPI settings.http://icrontic.com/files/apps/nehalem-calc/I do not want to get into a debate of the best way to stress test, ask 10 people and you will get a least 8 different answers, but you should stress test your OC so you know it is stable or at least close. As a rule of thumb do not let your highest core temp go over 80C. For stress testing I run the OCCT CPU Auto test for one hour, if that passes I run SuperPI twice at 32M. If that passes and I really want to put the screws to it I run 20 passes of LinX at a problem size of 25,000 or greater. After passing all three of these I have never had one of my OC's BSOD.OCCT http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?DownloadSuperPI http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=211LinX http://www.mediafire.com/?q2qkke5wfimxq2hAgain I state that as a rule of thumb when stress testing you should not let your core temps go over 80C. My highest OCCT core temp was 76C and with LinX it was 87C, keep in mind I have a 980X that is why I let it go to 87C, I still say 80C is good and if you decide to let it go over 80C you do so at your own risk. I really did not like to run it at 87C, but the test only lasted an hour and it did not run 87C the whole hour. I have only run LinX twice on this PC and probably will not run it again.You will need to adjust the voltages I posted as necessary to get your OC stable, no one can tell you what those voltages will be, you will just have to adjust, stress test, adjust, stress test, etc. until you get the OC you want and get it stable. The DRAM settings I posted are for my ram, make sure that you adjust the DRAM settings to the settings for your ram.

Thanks very much again for the excellent suggestions. In the afternoon and this morning I launched IntelBurnTest and prime95. The first program has passed the test with 5 cycles in high and standard mode. With Prime95 was open four hours this morning and temperatures remained around 77 degrees celsius. Now I will follow your valuable suggestions and first I'm adjusting the voltage as you told me, I'm too happy to have found the right configuration :(yeah!)