Sign in to follow this  
Guest lbb

Why are some runways never used by ATC?

Guest lbb

At Schiphol, I can't get ATC to give me runway 24, even with a hurricane blowing from 240 it will always give me 27. Does anyone have any idea why this is (particularly as 24 was the ONLY runway along with 06 that I could get in FS2002) and how I can persuade ATC otherwise?This may sound like a silly problem, but at Schiphol some runways are only used for take-off and others for landing, and ATC frequently comes up with a runway that would never be used in real life or, worse, is unpractical even in FS2004 (try taxiing to 06, for instance).Thanks,Leo Bakker

The way ATC assigns runway in FS9 is somewhat of a mystery. I was recently working with AFCAD2 making some modifications to KPHL. Here at PHL, runway 27R is used for landings, while 27L is used for takeoffs. Very rarely do aircraft also land on 27L, except during very busy periods. Therefore, I closed 27L for landings in AFCAD. ATC went right ahead and had aircraft land on 27L anyway. Go figure. In FS2002 if you closed a runway for landing or takeoff, it actually obeyed that rule. Not anymore it seems.Joe Wagner

Guest CargoMun

Only way I can get EHAM to use several runways is to only close completely the one outsider runway (RWY 22) in both ends and leaving all other runways open for both landing and takeoff. Once thats done i at least get 3 different runways to choose from when contacting ATC.AI aircraft also seems to be vectored to more then just one. Havent seen any simultaneous landings yet though on both Polderbaan and the older ones in same directions. Im sure though its possible :)

Guest lbb

Hi guys,Thanks for your replies and pointing me in the direction of AFCAD, a tool I was not aware of. With your help I have now had ATC give me runway 24! Thanks again,Leo Bakker