Sign in to follow this  
Guest wycliffe1

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro problems.

Hi,Still trying real hard to not uninstalling FS9 from the HD. ;-)One of the many negative reasons is the endless graphic tweaking...For example: Why is it that I can adjust the Mip Map bios only with aircraft without alpha layer? On aircraft with an alphalayer, there are jaggies on the livery lines, but not on the aircraft without alphalayer. I thought that these kind of problems should not exist with the Radeon cards!?:-rollI run on 1280x1024 32bit window mode.My specs are:Dell P4/2.8 Ghz512 DDR333 Dual channel memory128 Mb ATI Radeon 9800 ProCatalyst 3.8 DriversE171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"240Gb (2x120) 7200rpm HDI have tried a wide range of drivers, such as: Catalyst 3.7, 3.8 and the Omega drivers.So, can some tweak guru out there tell me how I can get the card running as it should?The pictures below are taken at the same ocasion with the same mip map bios setting. And the Thai livery is drawn with the same technic as the Korean livery.Happy landings,Staffan AhlbergSweden/Stockholm/ESSAWith alphalayer:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/48232.jpgWithout alphalayer:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/48233.jpg

Staffan

Guest Bigshot

There's a cure for that. Sometimes the painters skimp on the mipmaps to save file space in the downloads. There's a long thread in the FS2k2 forums at flightsim that discusses that very problem. Something about adding mipmaps to the textures. Do a search and you should find it.

I think it's got something to do with how Radeon cards don't anti-alias the alpha channels. If the paint has been done in such a way as to "knock out" the logo and writing from the overall alpha channel defining shininess, I can see how that might happen. If this is what is happening, it's directly related to how the autogen trees "shimmer", especially at high mip levels, in FS9. I wouldn't give up my 9700 Pro, but little things like this do take the edge off its luster sometimes.

I have a 9700 Pro and find I need to lower mips to 4 in the FS9 display settings. That pretty much eliminates the problem for me.

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

Hi,But if you reduce to 4, you get blurry scenery instead. I wan

Staffan

Guest thewarder68

Staffan,This may or may not help you....I found that by setting the AA and AF levels at driver level (I use 4xAA and 8xAF with my 9800Pro), setting mipmap level 4 in FS9 gives very good results.I don't have blurry textures this way and my edges are sharp as far as I can see....For completeness, after setting AA & AF at driver level I disable AA in FS9, have filtering trilinear and mipmapping 4....Actually setting mipmap any higher than 4 gives me unbearable shimmering....Just my experience....Johan

Thanks Johan,Will check it out asap. ;-)Staffan Ahlberg

Staffan

Guest wycliffe1

Hi StefanI'm really sorry about this but I just do not see what your problem is.These pictures look fine.I've said this before many times in this forum, I think to many of us are looking for the Holy Grail when it comes to flight simming.Are we looking for a real world experience or just want to fly and have a bit of fun.One of the best and most immersive fligt sims I had in recent years was one called AV8B Harrier. It was set in East Timor and you had a battle planner and you could fly harriers. The graphics where 256 vga and it ran on a 1meg svga graphics card. Ok it didnt have fancy clouds and the models where a bit clunky. But I tell you when you was up against a mig you knew about it.Not many of us have the high end Silicon Graphics PC's which a hell of a lot of games/simulators are developed on so why dont you all just calm down and enjoy the flight instead of looking for perfection.We might get perfection in ten years time, in fact we might have 3d TV so wont need to sit in front of PC's.Sorry for the rant, it's just that there is only one way to get what we all seek and that is get that PPL and get up there.Which is what I'm trying to do.Wycliffe

Hi,The reason for me to raise this question, is simply because FS2002 doesn

Staffan

Guest wycliffe1

SteffanOf course you can bring any subject up you like. As we all can.I think you might have hit the nail on the head when you suggest a newer more expensive sim shouldn't create so many problems, but that seems to be the nature of the beast when dealing with MS.Much of the MSFS debate reminds me of the theories suggested by the Startrek fraternity regarding the films, which states that the odd numbered films are the better ones.Could this theory be applied to MSFlight Simulator I wonder. Perhaps a thesis on the "The Comparitive and Relative Qualities of Microsofts Flight Simulator Series" should be attempted.That sounds like a good PHD to me. Wycliffe