Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tim13

Aircraft file library hard to navigate

Guest WilliamTodd

Please don't look at this as a harsh criticism to Avsim or the great freeware contributors, but the aircraft library is getting almost impossible to browse through for us unfortunate souls who still have 56k dial up. The problem as I see it is that for there are about 30 or so versions of the same aircraft (repaints) you have to browse through to get to the next original aircraft. Can't some of these aircraft be moved to the repaint section or perhaps a new section created to accomodate them? I hope the creators of these aircraft don't take offense to this post, their long hours of hard work is greatly appreciated.

Guest allcott

Why don't you use scan mode?Allcott

Guest schofi

William - You think this site's bad?Take a look at the other site - AFCAD city!But don't be too hard on the repainters, busily slaving away at their357th. 757 repaint - if they weren't doing that, they'd probably be bludgeoning some poor pensioner for her pension money. (Sorry, repainters - just a joke! (:-))(My sympathy to you - if I see another 737 repaint, different from all the others by a slightly changed rivet head colour, I'll scream.)Regards,Brian

Guest k2kwr

Download the Avsim File Library Index in text format and import it into a spreadsheet (Lotus or Excel, etc.) and you can scan & search the File Library off line at your leasure.An alternate suggestion and my 2 cents.Happy Flyin' - Kenps - This file can be viewed and searched in Word or the HTML version can be viewed with your Brouser offline.

Hey, I only counted 356 757 repaints...did I miss one? There goes my 757 folder, incomplete! LOL I here ya, it gets a little redundant wading thru all the ever so slightly different heavy repaints and countless AFCAD files (get mine thru PAI) which seem to make up the bulk of the library lately, but I usually check the what's new, then go to the section I am interested in most (new FS9 aircraft) and change the search by date and get only what I really need, I actually like the way the library is set up, I can find what I need pretty quick.It is also fantastic for uploading!! Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

I think a problem is in getting repainters to use a consistent naming and description. At least the search engine is good here on AVSIM. It would be nice if painters made clear up front the specific model the repaint was built for. For example:Project Open Sky Boeing 767-300ER GE model 763_ge_t1d1b23 AmericanMeljet Boeing 777-200ER model 777-200-MR-MKIII Continentalscott s..

............ but it would be a really good idea if there were some control over files put into "Original Aircraft" (if thats not a contentious issue in itself) - if each were given a unique identifier, with version references where applicable, and then all the Repaints hung off that, you could easily search for a repaint which had a definite realtionship to the Original you were looking for. This would cut down the number of hits from any given search.As things stand, I've spent time downloading repaints which turned out not to relate to the aircraft I wanted, or alternatively downloading huge files with sounds and panels and God knows what, when all I really wanted was the texture........Also maybe make uploaders specify either the IATA or ICAO codes for the airlines/aircraft they had modelled and making these searchable fields............If anyone wants these codes, try http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk

ngxu_banner.png

Guest Tim13

I agree with all of the above. I understand that the library positions here at Avsim are volunteer only without pay or perks, and I applaud the people that provide this service for Avsim. But, (you knew that was coming...lol) I would think that the uploads each cycle would be quickly reviewed to make sure that the author is using the correct category for upload. There really is no difference in the content of the "original FS2004 acft" and the "repaint" category. It's to the point that they should be merged instead of having to do separate searches. Also, the inclusion of AI repaints has made the search function almost useless. Try a search on Delta 7XX (pick your poison), and then start wading through the AI chaff. My solution would be to have the library admins review the uploads before posting, and then put them in the correct category regardless of where the uploader wants it. Secondly, the AI paints and original models should have their own category. These two actions would greatly improve the library system here at Avsim.Tim13

Guest allcott

The workload that would impose on the volunteers that run the library would be extortionate. Why should they have to make up for errors by the uploaders?How about simply removing any file uploaded to a wrong library? That'll teach them,real quick. Allcott