Sign in to follow this  
Guest touradg morassaei

Memory Aperture Size

Guest touradg morassaei

HiMy question is something related to "Memory Aperture Size" in Bios setting. I know that it is the size of mapped memory for AGP data, but is it related to graphic card performance? I mean that should I set this value to something related to my 256MB graphic card or its default value is ok! Once in a forum (I found via Google search) I was reading about this and the author's believe was that do not change the default value. It is for old cards. But I think it may affect on performance. Actually I am very cautious about bios setting and I always change its setting with some hesitation. So would you please guide me?Thank you Touradg My System SpecIntel Pentium4 3GHZ FSB800Asus P4P800SRadeon 9600 Pro 256MB DDR Powercolor512MB Kingston DDR Bus 333 Ram

Guest allcott

Just try the various options within your bios settings and see which works the best. A 256 meg card should be making no calls on the AGP reserved memory so maybe a smnaller number than default might be appropriate, but many reports state that textures in FS load better with higher numbers. 64meg and 128 meg are the standard sizes, with an option for 256 meg on some boards. So if you tried 32, 64, 128 and 256 it shouldn't take more than ten minutes to find the one that works best for our card.Allcott

Guest daveg4otu

I'll agree with that - try it and see- can't do any harm.Over the past few years I must have read a thousand threads on this and many other forums about this subject- I'm still really no wiser as to what is correct.Up until fairly recently I think the majority opinion was that any aperture greater than 64 was pointless unless you had a very old and basic graphics card.However in the past year opinions seem to be changing and now the advice is often to change the aperture to 128 or 256.Mine is set at the BIOS default of 64,changing it never made any difference whatsoever to anything - at least not that I could detect.A definative answer(and explanation) to this- by someone who really knows would be great.Dave

Guest touradg morassaei

Thanks for Reply.It seems that I should Jump into Bios!Thank Yuo AgainTouradg