Sign in to follow this  
Guest in_04

FS2k4METAR new thread about bugs and features

Guest in_04

Hi all,I think the inital thread is very long now and its time to start a new one.After the errors you all get, you should now have a version that you can use and it's time to discuss the function of the programm. If not I add a link to Update ZIP file on this message again.I will try to get a new release version ready for the weekend.The update should include:1. A switch to disable the update messages2. A better handling of wrong METAR files (dummy files from ucsd Server). This was the reason for crashing FS2k4METAR after the download of a METAR file3. The use of both free METAR Server I know (NOAA and USSD). If someone knows other METAR servers which provide full world METAR download in one file, please contact me.4. An update in the readme file for installation, esp. the part in which directory FS2k4METAR must be installed5. Maybe an update in the cloud generation routine Maybe you have some suggestion for additional features, bug fixes, so feel free to post them here.Also I hope to see some coments on the weather it generates.ByeMarkushttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=vie...t&file_id=48277

HIThanks for the updateIm surprised there has not been an avalanche of returns for this post yet. Maybe they are all trying it out? As it seems to work... somewhat.I have used it a couple times and it seem s to work for the vicinity of where you start, then the rest of the world is clear as a bell.Is this because I shouold check the box marked update? Or Get update? I would have to remain in windowed mode which I never use now.Also , do you need the payware version of FSUIPC ? I have FSConnect installed as well as the non-paid version of FSUIPCAllen

Guest liebowa

I just started using it today, and am very impressed - with two minor exceptions.The constant "weather loaded" messages that scroll by are annoying as hell! I'm glad to see that you will be providing an option to turn them off (I suppose they're probably useful for debugging).Secondly, each time the program updates the weather, my panel flashes for a split second. Does this have to do w/the messages that I spoke of above being displayed??Other than that - the functionality of the program is great. I flew from KPHL to KSYR this morning, and had consistant weather updates for the entire flight.

Guest ba747heavy

I just downloaded your most recent beta and I have to say, thank you sir for you hard work. What a great addon :D

Guest DonaldS

Hi:Do I understand this correctly? The link on your beginning message of this new thread, is the new updated version of FS2k4METAR? I downloaded the first one you uploaded to AVSIM but never installed it. Should I just delete the old one from my hard drive and run the version that the link in your message takes me to?--> Thanks for the help and thank you for your important contribution to the MS flight simming world. Regards,Don Schaaf

""fs2002 looks ridiculous in weather/environment totally crap""Why bash Microsoft? FS2002 was a great advancement over FS2000.Some people...RJ

Hi, "Why bash Microsoft? FS2002 was a great advancement over FS2000.`The only difference between fs2000 and fs2002 in weather was only the 32 bits texture clouds, exact and same weather buggy weather engine.Finally Ms did a great job with fs2004 weather overall to increase realism and many clouds type, environment and most bugs fixed in fs2004 and 10x much more open architecture-fs2000 and fs2002 anomalies:-Up side down black gray clouds effect-2d clouds-No stratus clouds, 2 clouds type-Clouds that's are cumulus and appears like flat cirrus when you are above or below 5000 feet to the clouds, unrealistic.-Random stretch clouds by the engine (some random clouds appears flat Wrong clouds formation, broken, few, etc.-2d clouds rendering limited in 2d clouds like fs2000-Continious disappearing clouds with higher altitude.-limited sky environment-Completly fs2002 environment closed architechture-randoms streched flat clouds from the original clouds created -Clouds line in the horizon -Visibility Cutting high level clouds at the edge-White box clouds, it appears when the clouds touch the 3d object-Rain snow bugs, lightning and weather Engine-Totally cartony papers thin 2d clouds"Why bash Microsoft? "I am bashing their previous weather engine, those most buggy crap reported all 2 years have been fixed in fs2004 :) and probably better in fs2006 with better pc system 5, 6, GhzCheersThanksChris WillisFSW GROUP[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html|Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

And when FS2006 comes out, I'm sure you'll call FS2004 crap as well..:-lolPS: Its not crap, its called advancement..RJ :-wave

Hi, "And when FS2006 comes out, I'm sure you'll call FS2004 crap as well.."Not as much fs2000/fs2002 compare to fs2004, they have skipped 4 long years with Msfs weather in fs2000 and fs2004, they have ignored the weather in fs2000 and fs2002. fly , fuIII and xplane where already much more advanced on these area at these time.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

In FS2002, Microsoft came out with Autogen, ATC, and AI. If they would have released weather like FS2004, FS2002 would have been un-playable, given the hardware that was available at the time.Again, this is called advancement... NOT CRAP. As time goes on, more powerful computers will do many more things.It's all relative Chris.. Keep in mind, this game is called Flight simulator... NOT Weather simualtor...If all you want is a weahter simulator, I suggest you stop using flight simlualtor and write your own weather simulator so you can sit and watch the clouds.. :-lolRJ

Guest Eric

Hi Chris, "Not as much fs2000/fs2002 compare to fs2004, they have skipped 4 long years with Msfs weather in fs2000 and fs2004, they have ignored the weather in fs2000 and fs2002. fly , fuIII and xplane where already much more advanced on these area at these time."I agree with you Chris, Msfs totally ignored the weather before fs2004, FUIII, Fly and xplane do a much better job than fs2000 and fs2002 for the weather with comparable details on others areas, they only ignored to works with the weather, totally unrealistic environment and remove all realism of one of the MOST important challenge and flying condition real pilot around the world, there was no excuse with system spec.I can't use fs2002 anymore, to much Annoying things, weather, atc, blur ground etc"Keep in mind, this game is called Flight simulator... NOT Weather simualtor..."I don't agree with you 3GREEN, most simmers demand I saw here from 2 years and finally Ms Listen and I hope will continue to improve the weather feature. I am a real pilot myself and I WANT real pilot weather flying condition all the time and many here as well.BestEric

Guest vassilis

Hi Markus,Great job. Great utility. Is it possible instead of the scroling message to see the current stations metar???Thanks again,Vassilis

Guest in_04

Hi Don,your right the main program file is the one I posted before, but you need at last the Stations and Weather Folder of the orginal.Please extract them in a folder called "FS2k4METAR" which is in the FS9 directory. Don't extract them in the FS9 folder directly, because there is a Weather folder already there(?)You can also wait a couple of days more and I will make a new complete pack available at avsim again.ByeMarkus