Sign in to follow this  
Guest in_04

FS2k4METAR new thread about bugs and features

Guest in_04

I'm currently build in another server for winds aloft, so the chance of getting Error 2 is going down once again.Hope to finish the next version this week.ByeMarkus

Guest Anthony_D

>you find the new BETA here>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/48743.zipHi Markus,I downloaded the above file. I have to say this is great :-) nice seeing a mixture of cloud types - not just cumulus everywhere.I've flown around a bit now and have some observations to make. 1. I flew from Longyear, Norway to Tromso, Norway tonight - an area of very few "reporting stations". Sometimes on the flight, the clouds beneath just suddenly disappeared. This was accompanied with some flashing of the cockpit. I assume the metar information was being updated on this 500mile flight. However I was offline, - does the reporting station juggle between two sources of METAR information?2. Not 100% repeatable but I was sat at blackpool airport in a cessna just a few feet below the fog layer. In a boeing 737, the viewpoint ws inside the fog layer. Could you lower the bottom visibility boundary a few feet to avoid this?3. The top boundary of the visibility band touches the bottom of the clouds. Sometimes this visibility layer is very thin and you suddenly break out into unlimited visibility too soon. Would it be possible to extend this boundary to an area inside a thick layer of cloud (e.g. half between top and bottom of 1st cloud layer?)Anyway, it's a wonderful improvement over the default fs2004 "real" weather.Regards

Guest miwi

Hi Markus,I currently use a program called InfoMetar, which once was developed for FLY. You can download and store metar files from the noaa-server with it and display it like a weather chart. I use the stored files within your program, and it works flawlessly except for the missing windsaloft data. What I would like to see, is to download noaa data direct with FS2k4Metar.regards-mike

The thing I liked about InfoMetar was the "thinning" option - no need to send every single reporting station to FS, particularly fs2k2, since the transitions looked horrible if reports were quite disparate. Maybe this would help FPS using real world weather in FS2k4 as well?Something to think about.sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Hi Markus,I did some other research yesterday evening, and it looks like on my system (I use FSUIPC 3.11 not registered) when visibility is below 1000 it returns to the default wheather theme. If I press End then Start what I see is that first all wheather is cleared, then after some seconds it changes to the preset wheather theme. If I go to another airport with 1000 mt vis and do the same (pressing End and Start) after a few seconds I get the fog. It doesn't depend, as I wrongly suggested, on the presence of the RVR info in the metar, I tried also airports without this indication.CiaoFrancesco

Guest miwi

Hello Markus,I recently compared a set of weatherdata from NOAA-server using InfoMetar with the same weather in FS2K4metar and found out that the metar keys -ra/-sn (light rain/snow) were not displayed in FS2k4. Normal and heavy rain/snow thunderstorm works. regards-mike

Guest in_04

Hi Mike,the program use UCSD or NOAA as download server. Normaly the UCSD Server is used, because the NOAA Server duplicate several stations all the time and increase the download to much.I didn't found any differences in the METAR data. But if you whant to use METAR data from NOAA you can download them by hand. Save them as txt file and use this naming:yyyymmdd_ttttZwhere yyyy=year, mm=month, dd=day, tttt=zulu timeThe winds aloft are downloaded from here:http://www.met.fsu.edu/Data/archive/index.htmlByeMarkus>Hi Markus,>>I currently use a program called InfoMetar, which once was>developed for FLY. You can download and store metar files from>the noaa-server with it and display it like a weather chart. I>use the stored files within your program, and it works>flawlessly except for the missing windsaloft data. What I>would like to see, is to download noaa data direct with>FS2k4Metar.>>>regards>>-mike>Hi Markus,>>I currently use a program called InfoMetar, which once was>developed for FLY. You can download and store metar files from>the noaa-server with it and display it like a weather chart. I>use the stored files within your program, and it works>flawlessly except for the missing windsaloft data. What I>would like to see, is to download noaa data direct with>FS2k4Metar.>>>regards>>-mike

Guest in_04

Hi Mike,the -ra and -sn should work, but sometimes the rain is so light FS2k4METAR didn't show it.Have you checked the downloaded FS2k4METAR file if the station is reporting -RA?

Guest miwi

Hallo Markus,until the last release of your fantastic program I used a NOAA weather set and compared it to the data shown in InfoMetar. Often there was -ra/-sn indicated but nogo in FS2k4(Metar). Your actual version makes it easy to compare metar data with the displayed weather in FS2k4, just use the show metar switch. But almost always it indicates light rain/snow but no such weather in the flight simulator. So in my understanding FS2k4Metar doesn

Guest in_04

Hi mike,maybe the value I use for light rain or snow are set to low?Did you have 'WeatherSet2' (belongs to FSUIPC) on youre computer? If yes, please use it to see if there is a value different from zero set in the percip.There was a change in FSUIPC (please use the latest version 3.125) which dealed with the percip settings.FS2k4METAR use the data, but this could be a bug, so the value for rain is set to low.

Guest miwi

Hi Markus,first of all I upgraded to FSUIPC 3.125. But my first impression is mixed so far. By the way, the weatherset which is downloaded by FS2k4Metar contains MULTIPLE timeshifted metars for all weatherstations. So I would suggest to use the actual source for windsaloft and NOAA weather for the rest. So I used a NOAA weather-set and experienced the following:This one works with precip 5LSGG 271020Z 28004KT 250V330 4000 +RA FEW004 SCT020 BKN030 05/04 Q0998 NOSIG=------This one doesn

Guest sfgiants13

I have a quick question. Does this load things like snow into FS? I haven't seen it do it yet, just clouds and wind.