Sign in to follow this  
Guest mcurbo

Question about the landing characteristics of a 737???

Guest mcurbo

I just started using some add-on 737's the other day. I am using the FFX model with various repaints. The ReadMe says the flight model was done by Erick Cantu.I have no experience whatsoever about the flight characteristics of a real 737. What I have noticed, though, is this add-on seems to be handling totally different on landing from most all other aircraft I have messed with.This might be "real" and I need to take my flightsimming to another level, which is fine, but I would like to know from others if what I am seeing is "normal"...When I am on descent, especially after catching the glidescope, I seem to be in a fairly unusual nose down attitude. Best I can figure, every aircraft I have ever flown in FS, has literally "glided" in with a nose up attitude. Is this normal?To give you an idea, I usually move the eyepoint level up a couple of notches on other aircraft on final so I can see the runway. With this model, I actually have to move the eyelevel down at least a notch, sometimes two, to see the runway.Please let me know what you think, and thanks in advance for the input.Mike

Guest Douglas K

A great website for information about the 737 is:http://www.b737.org.uk/info on pitch attitude during the landing approach can be found on this page under the title "N1's & Pitch Attitudes":http://www.b737.org.uk/rulesofthumb.htmfor the 737-3/4/500 models at around 105,000 lbs the pitch attitude with gear down, flaps 30 and speed at Vref+5 is +2.5 degrees (nose up).This page has some tips on landing the 73: http://www.b737.org.uk/landingtechnique.htm

Guest mcurbo

Douglas WOW! Thanks for all the links. I will have to look over all the info there. I would like to add to my original post that this is the 737-800. Which brings me back to my original prob, the positive nose pitch on final. With me using the autopilot following the glidescope, I get between -15 and -20 degrees nose pitch from the start of the descent all the way into the ground (if I don't allow enough time to disengage and flare manually). This does not sound right at all. Especially considering the info I have skimmed over in the links you provided.Granted, I am relying a lot on the AP to get me down close to landing, but basically every other plane I have landed using this method, has flared what I would consider appropriately.I will definately look at the speeds and such based off the info you provided, but I would have expected this plane to be a lot easier to land than what I have seen, but again, I am a simmer not a pilot...Thanks again, and any and all futher input would be much appreciated.Mike