Sign in to follow this  
Guest mdavis

Problems running FS9 with Windows XP Professional

Guest MNPaulMW

Hello fellow flight simmers and pilots! I purchased FS9 when it came out this summer and have been having problems with add on aircraft and Windows XP Professional. When I first got FS9 I was using Windows 98 and got horrible frame rates and all that good stuff, but at leas I was able to use it. Now with XP I will start everything up, push back, start to taxi and after about 10 minutes of it running it will shut down. I can start it back up and it will do the same thing again, I can restart it and again, same results. I have also tried default aircraft and have had mixed results. At times I have been able to fly some of the defult jets, same story, the piston planes haven

Guest daveg4otu

What kind of shutdown?(program crash to desktop or everything shuts to restart) Just a chance- have you got any addon scenery installed?(including stuff like clouds,water effects etc).If so try going back to the defaults.Dave

Guest MNPaulMW

It will shutdown to the desktop, just as if I closed the program but I don

Guest Philip Olson

Without knowing anything about your system and how you upgraded to XP I think first I would try to verify that nothing is over heating in your box, meaning the CPU and video card. Next in a case like this I would look at the drivers, now this is just my opinion of course, I would change to another video driver and test the results. If nothing improves then make sure you have the latest sound drivers for your card, then go on to mother board, etc. In my experience when the program quits suddenly like that it is usually an over heating issue or a driver issue. If none of those things fix the problem then there are quite a few other things to potentially look at but I bet that you can solve the problem with the above. I hope that this helps you but if you need some more help please let me (us) know and I'm sure that I or someone else will be happy to help.Best of luck! philip

Hi,I was plagued by the same for a while, but I managed to solve it thanks to help from the good people on this forum. First, I updated the bios (running an Asus nforce 2 mobo), then made sure that the RAM was running at proper speed (bios settings). I also removed both RAM sticks and re-inserted them again. Also, check if your power supply is still healthy. I had the 3.3V oscilate due to a bad power supply. That's what did it for me; well, one of these things did and since then I had absolutely no crashes.Regards,Jurehttp://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Hello,When I have that kind of trouble I use a program called 'filemon'http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtmlIt allows you to see all the file accesses on your PC and save this information to analyse afterwards.What I do :1/ start "End it all" to stop all unnecessary processes2/ start FS93/ select what must be selected : aircraft, location, ....4/ Start "filemon"5/ select FS9 "fly now"6/ as soon as troubles SAVE the filemon data.7/ start analysing the filemon data , check also the XP Event Viewer (in the administrative tools) application and system to get the time stamp.Hope it helps

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Guest mdavis

I'll vote for the video card cooling. FS9 puts a huge load on your video card if you have sliders pushed. See if your video card settings window has a temperature monitor (nVidia does, don't know about ATI) and watch that. Make sure the fan is working on the video card, and if you have one of the later ATI's or nVidia cards, make sure you have the extra molex connector also plugged into your power supply. Try temporarily reducing the resolution and see if it helps.Power supply might be suspect since many of these are marginal these days with the new video cards. However, if the power supply was failing, you should get a total system reboot, not just a program crash to desktop, in my experience.MDavis

Guest MNPaulMW

First of all, thank you to all for your responses, I greatly appreciate them! And I also apologize for not getting back sooner. I have been trying to get this thing working all evening, and frustrations continue.XP came with the system, so there was no upgrading, and it doesn

Guest MNPaulMW

I have to apologize here. But where can I update the bios and how can I check my that my ram is running at proper speed? I did check the power supply and it was fine. Again, I apologize for the dumb question, but thank you for your help.

Guest daveg4otu

Assuming that you have an NVidia card ,the temp monitor applies only (I pretty sure) to Nforce systems so don't be surprised if it's not there..What you can do is install Motherboard Monitor 5-- get it free here--http://mbm.livewiredev.com/This will give you a continuous read out of CPU and system temps as well as voltages.Check that the CPU isn't getting to warm also that the voltages - in particular the 3.3 and 5V lines are where they should be at all times.It will also provide a text log you can view after a "crash" to see what was going on .Lastly - yes a good clean out will often do wonders,clean not only the Video card but the CPU Heatsink( remove the fan then clear out all the crud in the HS) .Make sure that you haven't got a build up of dust around the RAM- in some boards where the RAM is adjacent to the CPU a lot of dust can build up in the surrounding area.Dust is a very good insulator.If all else fails why not try a clean install of FS9- making sure you uninstall thoroughly beforehand(IE: remove all traces including CFG files and registry entries.)Dave

Guest MNPaulMW

I was able to view the system temps and voltages, and everything looks to be ok from what I could see. But I couldn

Guest MNPaulMW

Hello all,I just wanted to let you know I got FS up an running! A big thank you to everyone who helped, I greatly appreciate it! Thanks again!

Guest ryebred

What did you finally do to get it working?

Guest MNPaulMW

It was quite the ordeal actually. I ended up deleting all extra programs that I didn