Sign in to follow this  
James Ham

PMDG 744X - Can't change QNH

Hey,I brought the PMDG 744X last year after seeing how amazing it was on a friends computer.Lately I've been going into depth with it, and experiencing some glitches.When I load the aircraft in Cold & Dark at YSSY, i start the aircraft, as per Boeing Checklists, and after the IRS has aligned, the Altimeter is at -7,000ft...I tried adjusting the QNH, but the knob wouldn't move... the arrow to slide it left and right came up, but still did nothing...I tried creating my own dark & cold, same thing, align the IRS and it goes to crap...I've been reading through the forums all day, and seen other people with the same problem, but it seems no one has given a direct answer.If anyone can please help with this, it would be much appreciated, as I really do enjoy PMDG products, and would hate to get too frustrated as to abandon them all together.Yours Sincerely,James Ham (995714)

Try pressing "b"

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

It's not a matter or wrong atmospheric pressure so the <B> keypress (which is the FSX default for baro resetting) won't do anything.Why don't you try to reinstall the plane while making sure you run the installer as an admin (assuming you use Vista or W7)?

Don't use the cold & dark save file to load the aircraft, that might cause problems. FSX does not handle saved files very well, especially not with complex addons like the PMDG 744. Just select it from the menu and press Fly Now, and then see if it works. If you really want a cold & dark panel state select the Cessna, press Fly Now, shut the aircraft down including the magneto, and finally switch to PMDG via the in-game menu. If the problem persists do a complete reinstall and remember to run everything as admin like stated in the post above.

Don't use the cold & dark save file to load the aircraft, that might cause problems. FSX does not handle saved files very well, especially not with complex addons like the PMDG 744. Just select it from the menu and press Fly Now, and then see if it works. If you really want a cold & dark panel state select the Cessna, press Fly Now, shut the aircraft down including the magneto, and finally switch to PMDG via the in-game menu. If the problem persists do a complete reinstall and remember to run everything as admin like stated in the post above.
I created my own "cold and dark" panel state, and it works just fine. The key is to make sure that your entire FSX folder has ADMIN rights. It was simple to set up, assuming that you have given your FSX folder Admin rights, all I did was set the aircraft at an airport, I shut the engines down (by pulling down the fuel switches), than proceded to turn off EVERY system for a true cold and dark situation....every system dead, batts off the whole 9 yards. Since then I have created other situations, where the AC is simply just pluged into ground power. Its pretty easy, all you do is turn off what you want to be off, press the "ALT" key scroll to addons , PMDG, panel state, then select save. Save it as you wish, and give it a description......and your all good. But I can not stress enough that your FSX folder admin rights, or things like panel state, and saving key board commands and things like that will not save. You can give admin rights to just your PMDG folder but as a standard (and it only takes about 20 sec longer) just give the entire folder the rights and there will no longer be any issues. If anyone does not know how to do this, simply right click the Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder, go to the security tab, and basicly give the computer, FULL control on every level. You will notice that there is a "write" box that can be checked, if this box is not checked then the ability to "write" information will only be saved during current use, once the game is shutdown and restarted, it will need to be "re-written".

I created my own "cold and dark" panel state, and it works just fine. The key is to make sure that your entire FSX folder has ADMIN rights. It was simple to set up, assuming that you have given your FSX folder Admin rights, all I did was set the aircraft at an airport, I shut the engines down (by pulling down the fuel switches), than proceded to turn off EVERY system for a true cold and dark situation....every system dead, batts off the whole 9 yards. Since then I have created other situations, where the AC is simply just pluged into ground power. Its pretty easy, all you do is turn off what you want to be off, press the "ALT" key scroll to addons , PMDG, panel state, then select save. Save it as you wish, and give it a description......and your all good. But I can not stress enough that your FSX folder admin rights, or things like panel state, and saving key board commands and things like that will not save. You can give admin rights to just your PMDG folder but as a standard (and it only takes about 20 sec longer) just give the entire folder the rights and there will no longer be any issues. If anyone does not know how to do this, simply right click the Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder, go to the security tab, and basicly give the computer, FULL control on every level. You will notice that there is a "write" box that can be checked, if this box is not checked then the ability to "write" information will only be saved during current use, once the game is shutdown and restarted, it will need to be "re-written".
is this for vista only or does it also apply to win7?

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

I'm on Win XP, so admin rights aren't a problem. As for Cold & Dark, i saved the panel state though PMDG, and not though the FSX menu.Any other ideas?James Ham (995714)

James, you got this problem fixed yet?The solution has never been reported over past couple years that I've seen this problem (alt = -7000) in the forum. I think it might have to do with the VS runtime library. Did a repair or reinstall fix it??

Dan Downs KCRP

James, you got this problem fixed yet?The solution has never been reported over past couple years that I've seen this problem (alt = -7000) in the forum. I think it might have to do with the VS runtime library. Did a repair or reinstall fix it??
I too am VERY interested in the solution to this annoying problem....So, please, make it public here. Thank you.

Juergen Vollmer

Flight sim enthusiast and real life pilot

I am also getting this proplemIt works at the start of the fligh but as soon as do anything I am then unable to change the QNH, evan pressing B makes no changeAny ideas on this?

Reinstall of the PMDG worked on the second time for some strange reason...

Ok, Please, no "Just press B" answers. I am trying to do a realistic flight around the world. How do you change the barometric pressure on the PMDG 747? There HAS to be a knob or setting somewhere. I'm not in the US, so the transition altitude is 5,000 feet, and FS Passengers keeps docking me points....

Ok, Please, no "Just press B" answers. I am trying to do a realistic flight around the world. How do you change the barometric pressure on the PMDG 747? There HAS to be a knob or setting somewhere. I'm not in the US, so the transition altitude is 5,000 feet, and FS Passengers keeps docking me points....

Don't post in multiple threads like this.  People won't be sure which one to answer (plus, I spent a few minutes reading posts from three years ago to try to get an idea of what the problem was.  An answer has been provided in your other thread...

Kyle Rodgers