Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Interesting Overflight Today...

I live on the approach to KOQU (Quonset State, fmr Navy base), and that is where the RI Air Natn'l Guard is based.Tonight, an old 4 engine prop plane flew the approach. It looked to be a military transport. She flew over twice tonight, so here's what I came up with...At first glance I thought it was a Connie, because it had a distinctive tail. But I'm pretty sure it only had two vertical stabilizers, ruling that out. The two stabilizers were mounted to the end of the long horizontal one, and were roughly rectangular with rounded corners. It is getting towards twilight here, but I think it was painted in a military green color, with some nose art as well. Normally all we get is nice low C-130J's... This was a pleasant surprise.Question of the day - Can anyone help me identify what kind of plane it was?

I would have to say it was longer, and skinnier... Perhaps not a transport, perhaps a bomber?The tail assembly had the same general shape, but again appeared wider and possibly skinnier...If I could hear these planes coming up on my house, I'd be out there with my digicam snapping. Sadly, it doesn't power up fast enough. Anyway... any more guesses or help would be appreciated.-Greg

Guest BrianC

Your description matches the B-24 Liberator.

Ah, the days spent at NAS Quonset Pt, RI! Those ancient buildings, the steam rising, on a bitter cold December day!!!:~PThe BOQ Bar and Mess were OK though!!! :-beerchug

I've always wondered what it would have been like to see that place in an active state...Not sure if you are still in the area, but other than some buildings surrounding the airfield, most of the base buildings are in grave disrepair. The haunting appearance of the buildings and their faded paint markings make me wish I could have seen the place in the 40's and 50's. Buildings and barracks south of the airfield are still there, and many are being used as industrial park offices (My roommate works in one, as a matter of fact). Sporatic buildings across the base property are also being used in an industrial park fashion.Another sad note is that they removed the Seabee statue some years ago from Post Road. There was a possible drill area (?) off of Devils Foot Road (near the amtrak line), which has been completely ripped up so that the state can build in some highway infrastructure. They are redoing the Post Rd./Quonset Access intersection, and building what appears to be an actual highway down towards the Electric Boat complex.THere is talk of building a deep-draft container port at Qounset, but that is meeting stiff resistance and probably won't get done. (IF so, they may kill the airfield, which is my reason for opposing)The yearly ANG Airshow is always great down there, and the pics to follow are snapped from this year's event. The navy is mothballing the USS Saratoga carrier across the bay in Newport, and there is a grassroots (and so far successful) campaign to move it to Quonset to be a big part of the fledgling Quonset Air Museum. If you have any stories to share about the base, please do! When were you stationed there? In its busy years?-Greg(The FS shot is taken *directly* over my virtual house)

I was to be stationed at NAS Quonset Pt in 1964 but orders were changed to stay in Key West, FL as a helicopter crewman instructor. I left the Navy in 1966 but became a Navy Civil Servant, testing and evaluating new equipment at NAS Patuxent River, MD. I travelled to NAS Quonset on regular trips throughout the 60-70's.The base was very old then and I think the harshness of the winters took toll of the buildings, personnel, and equipment.I do remember coming down a road and seeing the SeeBee Base.I have some memorable experiences of Newport, RI also. We were doing a flight in an SH-3G helicopter from Newport with a twenty-six foot pipe attached to the helicopter Sonar cable. The cable was stretched out from the bottom of the helicopter to the pipe. The pilot's lifted off the deck and slowly rose until the pipe was hanging in the air. Just as we transitioned to forward flight, the number two generator quit, wouldn't reset, so we had to circle around, and land since I couldn't raise or lower the cable. We called it a day, decided we couldn't complete the mission, and would return to Maryland the next day (needed time to do some grocery shopping - lobster season).I went back to the Newport Motor Lodge. I was wearing a protective flight suit (known as a poopy suit) to prevent hypothermia in case of a crash. Well, these poopy suits are hard to get on and very hard to get off if you are sweating. Usually, your flight crewmates will help you get the dang thing off your shoulders. The suit is like a one piece wetsuit and you have to duck you head through a opening and then you zipper a diagonal zipper up over your shoulder.I started to take the poopy suit off in my room at the Lodge. Well, it winter and the steam heat is going full blast. I am sweating worse than a Swede in a sauna! I get the poopy suit off my shoulders but now it is stuck. What the heck am I gonna do?! I think, go to the lobby, ask someone to pull the darn thing down.Picture it, a man in a rubber suit, coming at you with his shoulders pinned back, asking you to pull the suit off!!!I could see the newsflash, man in rubber suit attacks desk clerk at Newport Motor Lodge.Well, I relaxed for a while since I was breathing pretty fast, and sweating to beat the band. I finally was able to scrape the suit off my back by rubbing against the wall.Finally, we had a chance to get our groceries in a large styrofoam box.Next day, I dressed up in my poopy suit again, met the pilots who had the lobster's delivered and we took off for Maryland. It was one of the coldest flights I have ever made. The number two generator also controlled the heater, so we were without heat. I mentioned to the pilots that if we crashed, the lobsters, we had on board, would probably eat us, just for spite.The other memorable thing about the flight home was the scene of New York Harbor. The sun was probably at 10:00 high, no clouds in the sky. The statue of liberty shined so bright. The buildings of New York were very majestic. I will never forget the site.