Sign in to follow this  

Where were you on 9/11/02?

I am in the Army. I had just finished Pysical Training and was rlaxing on my couch listning to morning talk radio. They said The WTC had been hit by an airplane. When the second tower got hit, and then the Pentagon, I got changed and got back to my Battalion. We put guards on all the doors and got out the ammo. The post was locked down. That night I went home and packed for the National Training Center in Ft Irwin CA. That is were all the heavy mechanised brigades train. Even our military charters out there was delayed a few days until the airlines got running again. That training rotation was different. We all knew the real thing might be just around the corner.DAVE

I was in a hotel in Montreal,was the day i was suppose to fly home(Halifax)as you can imagine,all the flights were cancelled in Canada as well....We had to drive (14hrs)in a van...How i learned?Was still hungover,and a memeber of my band told me at the hotel restaurant that planes crashed in the WTC....Was a crazy dayRichard

Hey Dave,I was stationed at NTC for two and a half years prior to getting out! It's actually a fun place to be stationed at if you're OPFOR, but I heard BLUFOR gets put through the ringer. :-hahBTW, to all interested. This thread intrigued me, and with the anniversary of the attacks coming up, I did a quick search on google and found some shocking timelines prior to the attacks. Hey, the information's out there, may as well become familiar with it. We have the reponsibility to protect our country from all enemies...foreign and domestic. (Not a call to arms - a call to remember our obligation to vote and make sure the right people are running this country!)http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/02_11_02_lucy.html"Learn from your parents' mistake...use birth control."(I M A UCLA) BruinAddict *:-*DemetriousAsus A7V266 MBAthlon XP 1600+ (@ 1.53)512MB PC2100 DDRVisionTek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4400 (Detonator 29.42 WHQL)NEC MultiSync E1100+ 21"SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1Cambridge DTT2500 Desk Top TheaterWestern Digital 7200RPM ATA/100 40G HD (Primary)Western Digital 7200RPM ATA/100 40G HD (Secondary)300W PSUWindows XP Professional (Both drives - Multiboot)DirectX 8.1("I am humorous and well versed in the subtleties of everything pertaining to nothing." - BA)

Well, it seems i have the worst picture of that day then most of you that responded. I live in Brooklyn, NY and at the time, i worked at KeySpan Energy, headquartered in Downtown Brooklyn, right across the river from Manhattan and 3 short train stops away from the WTC.The towers for me was a daily sight as we could clearly see them from our tower in MetroTech. On that day i watched everything happen right in my face. It was a sight i never would have thought i would ever see. I watched the second plane crash right into the 2nd tower coming in from the south. I people jump out the windows, and then eventually watched the towers fall. Then almost the entire island of manhattan was covered in smoke and dust. That was an amazing sight to see the ENTIRE Manhattan dissappear for hours!!That spot smoked for weeks, it was non stop smoke out of there. There were also constant bomb threats at Metrotech. It was crazy. I now work for Goldman Sachs, whose offices are just south of Wall St, not too far from where the towers once stood.Chris

My wife and I were on vacation in Rome. About 6 p.m., our cabdriver tried to tell us about it. My Italian is decent, and I could follow the individual words but couldn't put them together into a pattern. He asked where we were from and we said, "New York," and he said, "ah, New York, World Trade Center!" But of course, people say thing like that all the time -- Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, just mentioning a landmark to show they know something about the place. Then he said, "Ai, mamma mia!," launched into something about airplanes, said "Bush can't be found," and then repeated over and over, "I due hai cadutti!" -- "the two have fallen." My wife picked up on the Bush reference and said, "He doesn't seem to like Bush," so we assumed it was some kind of political metaphor -- the two were Bush and Gore, or something like that. It was two days later before I could remember the conversation.We went to dinner at 7:30, and the couple sitting next to us was from Los Angeles. They mentioned what we ordered and said, "That sounds wonderful. Of course it's hard to concentrate, especially after what happened in New York." Since we're from New York, that's where the world split in half for us.We heard all sorts of things over dinner and after (we stayed because the husband had a cell phone and we were using it to try to dial into Manhattan, which of course was impossible). We had no idea what to believe. We got back to the hotel and flipped on CNN and the first thing we saw was the North Tower burning, with a plume of smoke behind it. I said to my wife, "Thank God, at least one of them is still standing." And at that instant they ran the tape forward and I watched the North Tower disappear. Of course it was a replay but for me it was live. After that we were up 'til 3 a.m., through Bush's speech, and trying to get calls through the whole while.We got back to Manhattan on Sunday the 16th, on our scheduled flight as things turned out, and that was the first we saw the smoke plume over the site, and the flags out, and the hospital ship in the harbor. There was a sign in the lobby of my building asking us to go over and make a donation at 40 Engine and 35 Truck, our local firehouse, where they'd lost 12 men. You can read about it in David Halberstam's "Firehouse."I'll be observing this year like a New Yorker.

Guest Scott Campbell

Just corrected the topic.At home asleep. I was called by a business friend who saw the news. I watched CNN and others during the day. It really sucked. I watched live as the towers fell.It was a very bad day.

In bed asleep when the phone rang. It was my cousin who told me that he heard on the "Howard Stern Radio Show" garbage, that a plane had hit the WTC.I was thinkin' that a Cessna or the like had run into it by accident in bad weather or something. Kinda like when that B-25 hit the Empire State building back in the thirties. Not probable but possible."Turn on the TV, man!"And there it was. And judging by the size of the hole, it was no Cessna that had struck the towers. And about five minutes later, the realization of what was really happening hit home as the United flight impacted the second tower. Live on CNN. Talk about a chill running down your spine. Hope I never have to be woken up to that again.CF-AOA

Guest Martin

For the first time in my life, I was in an ATC tower. So it wasn't very good timing for seeing the ATC in action.I hurried home from school to get something to eat before the controller who was going to guide me around came to pick me up (he's the father of an old friend of my sister - so I didn't know him very well). It was around 3 pm here in Sweden, the rain was pouring down, and as we were heading towards J

In '01 I was at work. Here in the UK it was mid-afternoon, and we'd just stopped for our tea break (don't ask !) Someone got a portable TV and set it up in the Laboratory, and everyone watched as events developed. As the second plane crashed, and the two towers subsequently came down, I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing. No work was done for the next hour or so as we all sat rooted in horror. I eventually tore myself away and travelled home, where I heard about the huge loss of life.On the Friday I took the day off work, and went into central London to lay some flowers at the American Embassey and to sign the Book of Remembrance.

There was quite a large number of people from the U.K. in the towers that perished as well. Your country suffered loss as well. That was a very noble gesture to lay flowers at the U.S. Embassy. Some don't realise the it was the WORLD Trade Centers. There were quite a few people from numerous countries that were injured or killed in those attacks. Jeff

Hi all,this is what I remember:It was around 3PM or so here in Germany, and I've been hanging around in the MSN Gaming Zone. Not flying, just chatting etc. There I saw a room called 'CRASH TALK'. All the guys were talking strange things I initially didn't understand.Some minutes later I switched on my ICQ, and as soon as I got connected, a classmate sent me a message, I should 'turn on the TV immediately'. I just did so, and I din't trust my eyes. Most of the films etc. were cancelled, just news, news, news. It's been the first plane crashing in one of the towers.Ok then I thought when they showed just the same pictures again and again, and went back to my computer. But somewhen the people were talking about some 'second plane' which had crashed.From this point I continuously rushed from the computer and the TV and back. Talking and discussing with the people at the Zone and watching the TV news.Not much more to tell... On the next day we had several 'minutes of silence' (or how that's called in English...) in school and our headmaster held a speech.The whole time of this day and the time after it was very bad, although I live 'only' in Germany, we were all very displeased.Take care,Etienne

>>I was at work then and will be at work wednessday. >>In most of the world nothing changed at all. Even in the US >>little changed that wouldn't have changed anyway over a >>somewhat longer time.>>Before I respond to that, are you serious that nothing >changed in the US, or the world? >Overall, yes. At least not a lot.The only significant change was the ending of religious fundamentalist rule in Afghanistan, something that would otherwise probably have happened anyway albeit after a longer period.>>The economic effects are negligable, all that happened is >>that the downward slope became a bit steeper but it also is >>bottoming out sooner so the net effect there is not great >>either.>>So you think that the economic effects would have been >nearly the same with, or without, the events of 9/11? The >stock market here would have dipped, on it's first day back, >more than 600 points even without that? >No, not in 1 day as I clearly make out.The effects would still be happening, but more slowly.As it is, I think that the drop of the markets SINCE that one day have been less than they otherwise would have been.>>Of course a lot of people died and the US got a nasty wakeup >>call concerning their vulnerability to international >>terrorism (in large part because of the openness of the >>society and the lack of security consciousness of security >>staff at airports) but globally the effects are small. >>I agree with the first part of your statements, we certainly >did get a "wakeup" call. Whether the effects, globally, are >small is another question. There were a number of other >nations that joined with us to avenge what was done to us, >that felt sorrow for what was dealt to us. >And most of those were with you anyway. The PRC, Iran (except for some words) and other traditional enemies of the USA are still just that.>But I must say, unless you were here, unless you were close >enough to experience the horror of that event, you really >can't be a judge of what it was for us here. I live, and >work, a few miles from NYC, when the events of 9/11 >occurred, I was in work...a few of us left work when we >heard what had happened and took a 15 minute drive to where >we could see the NY skyline. >The personal horror of those involved was severe. I understand that. But there is a difference between personal horror and world events (though sometimes the one hits upon the other).The world is not a lot different for about 6 billion people. Only those in the direct area of the site (and those living further off who lost loved ones) have been severely affected at all.>>Actually, the people most effected at large (except the >>families of the deceased) are those of Afghanistan who are >>now better off than they would have been without these >>attacks.>>Yes, to an extent. There is still a lot of crap going on >there... assassination attempts, recent car bombings...it's >no rose garden over there, and may get worse. >It will probably remain that way for a long time.Tribal warfare is the default state of Afghanistan. The only times they stick together is when fighting a common enemy (like the Soviets and the Brits before them).>Like you have said, "except for the families of the >deceased..." >But think for a moment what some of them have had to go >through...some of those people will have their loved ones >never recovered. Think about what they have to consider, as >far as why they won't be. How would YOU like to know that >someone that you loved was torn to pieces in the collapse of >a building, to never be found? Think about all of the time >that they hoped that they WOULD be found. >>My heart goes out to the people that had to go through >that...political issues be damned. >Certainly, but that does not mean the entire world should stop op Sept.11 this year and any year into the indefinite future.If we do that, we'd better stop doing anything any day because some tragedy befell someone somewhere at every day of the year during some year.Just think of the human suffering in London during WW2 as an example. Effectively an incident like that in NYC last year every day for over 2 years during the Blitz.Or the citizens of Leningrad during the siege. Or (on the other side) Hamburg, Berlin, Tokyo, Kyoto, etc.

>>The only significant change was the ending of religious >fundamentalist rule in Afghanistan, something that would >otherwise probably have happened anyway albeit after a >longer period. >No, the significant change, with any luck, is that the US will have learned not to always sit and wait until somebody attacks them before they reach out and deal with those people. That is the US will finally have the moxie to pre-emptively decapitate those who have plans to cause harm to Americans. The lesson was learned once on 12/7/41 and then gradually forgotten over time until 9/11/01.>No, not in 1 day as I clearly make out. >The effects would still be happening, but more slowly. >As it is, I think that the drop of the markets SINCE that >one day have been less than they otherwise would have been. >Not for certain sectors of the market and those who are involved in those fields.>>>The personal horror of those involved was severe. I >understand that. But there is a difference between personal >horror and world events (though sometimes the one hits upon >the other). A war was fought in Afghanistan. A war will likely be fought in Iraq soon. Are these not world events brought about by your so called mere "personal horror"?>The world is not a lot different for about 6 billion people. >Only those in the direct area of the site (and those living >further off who lost loved ones) have been severely affected >at all. >What about those who have lost jobs or had their careers drastically altered? What about those who have lost people in the fighting in Afghanistan?>Certainly, but that does not mean the entire world should >stop op Sept.11 this year and any year into the indefinite >future. >If we do that, we'd better stop doing anything any day >because some tragedy befell someone somewhere at every day >of the year during some year. >Just think of the human suffering in London during WW2 as an >example. Effectively an incident like that in NYC last year >every day for over 2 years during the Blitz. >Or the citizens of Leningrad during the siege. Or (on the >other side) Hamburg, Berlin, Tokyo, Kyoto, etc. We still stop and commemorate Pearl Harbor. The difference between 12/7 and 9/11 with the tragedies in Leningrad, or Nanking or many other of the myriad sieges and battles is that these dates are hallmarks that marked a beginning or an end of a long termed event or undertaken. That is why they are easily remembered and commemorated. World War II was the period which was hallmarked by Pearl Harbor. The next untold number of years which will most likely be filled with conflict and war will have been hallmarked by 9/11.

I was at school unknowing what happend until 2pm EST time when the principal came on the PA and called me and about 20 other indivualds...we went down their laughing as smiling with not a worry in mind and when he said the words, "Students, This morning the world trade centers and the US were attcked and the towers collapsed and we are afraid to tell you your fathers or mothers may have not made it out." I will never forget those words, and I have not told many other people about them. Within a few seconds we all went from laughing to thinking "what if" and we were all dead quiet. A few minutes later a few of the girls started crying histerically and wouldnt stop. Hearinng them cry only made things worse. I dont know if any of you were watchign the show on 48 Hours about that town called Middletown...Well thats wherre I live, and had the most casualities, in 3 schools in our districs it was 78 students lost a family member. My life changed that day. On the way home the streets were empty, noone was out. I waited by the phone waiting for a call each night until i fell asleep in the chair and my mom woke me up. on the first night I lost hope of ever seeing my dad again, which i sohuldnt have, another day passed, and i didnt go to schoo, i just waited by the phone,nothing.The third day we went to the site in hoping to find something, nothing. We went home at about 11pm that night. I waited all the next day by the phone and outside on my bench untik dinner was ready. i went in and started eating with my "never to be the same" family. then the most amzing of miracles happned. my dogh started barking and we heard a horn. it was a cab and my dad stepped out of it. he was covred in silt, blood and other thigns i dont know..sorry guys i cant tell anymore i cant just think of those days