Sign in to follow this  

Where were you on 9/11/02?

I was at school during second period, algebra 2, one of our administrators rushed in with a panicked look on her face and said that we needed to pray for our nation because two planes have crashed into the wtc. if only you could here everybodies reaction and then the deafening silence. I was in a state of shock i couldnt believe what i was hearing. so on to third period. luckily our history teacher had a radio so we listened in horror as we heard the freakishly stoic voice announce that the south tower had collapsed and then later that the north tower had fallen. i excused myself from the room and then stood in the hall just to catch myself. maby its a dream i said maby its not real, then my eyes pointed to the tv that was in the library, it was on, and on the screen was the image of new york covered in thick black smoke and it confirmed my fears, the towers were gone. they didnt show pics of the planes crashing into them yet. thank the lord. then on to fourth period we heard news about the pentagon and then about the plane crash near pittsburg. this all hit me hard because in spring break of 2001 i was in newyork and i took pics of the wtc from the back of the statue of liberty ferry and from the statue of liberty itself. i was in washington just two months before and we even passed by the pentagon on the actual side it was hit. and i always go to pittsburg during summer because thats very close to where my grandparents live. also the fact that my sister sometimes visits the wtc for business and i have a cousin who works at the pentagon, luckily none of them where there thank the lordgod bless america

Julian, your story sounds just like happpneding to me, luckly you werent called down to recive the horrifying enws about a family member (if you read my stry above)God Bless The U.S.A!

I live and work in Manhattan. During the summer of 2001, I was combining my commute to my office (about three blocks west of the WTC) with exercise by bicyling the six miles from my apartment, south along the Hudson River bike path, turning left at the WTC and continuing on city streets to my office. The morning of September 11, I was running a tad late and where I would normally be just below the WTC at 8:45 a.m., on that day I was just a block north on my bike. I heard a jet passing just overhead. Jet airliners often travel a few thousand feet above the Hudson River on their approach into LaGuardia but this one was going in the wrong direction and was much louder than usual. I stopped my bike as I heard a horrendous explosion. I looked almost straight up to see the huge fireball engulfing the top floors of the north tower. I lay down my bike and started running in the opposite direction, trying to sort this out. I thought maybe a cruise missile was fired at the tower, maybe a business jet hit. When I realized that I was not going to get hit my falling debris, I retrieved my bike and just stood and gaped at the immediate aftermath. I called my wife on my cell phone and told her what was happening as the first fire trucks to respond were screaming past me. That was the last time my cell phone worked for the next few days.The next few hours are a blur. Everything that you saw on TV, I witnessed up close. I remember that after the second plane hit, the police started herding everyone away. I walked with my bike about ten blocks north where I stayed in a daze until the towers collapsed. Still in a daze, I walked, with thousands of others back uptown.Luckily, I did not loose any friends or family in the attack. My sister, however, lost her best friend on board flight 11.Doug Parker

When the first aircraft hit I was at the pub having lunch with my girlfriend, it was only when I got back to the office to see the horror of what happened (we had a projector running BBC on a screen). The second aircraft hit 5 minutes after I got back. The rest of the day we just watched the screen in stunned disbelief.......

67 British, lets nor forget there were also many Muslims killed as well Jeff.George

It came on BBC radio as a news flash. I've heard news flashes before, they always give me a sense of dread, but a plane into WTC ?Switching on the television, there it was, smoke billowing and people looking up in disbelief, meanwhile 3000 miles away, I was with them thinking "this is not real". It must be a terrible, terrible accident. Then there was a flash of black and bang, the second was hit, this made it all even more surreal. I can remember thinking " It's not real, is it ?". I know now it was, this was terrorism played out for the camera. I dont know if I am embarrassed to say I video taped it for my kids, kids , kids as one of the great events of the century (nor literal great). The collapse was even more scary and surreal and can still remember yelling out as they came down. A scale of human tragedy I hope I or my family or any of you never have to witness "live" ever again.Later as video footage became available and we saw the attack's from all different angles and we saw the second, approach, go in and in part come out of the other side. Then it was real, I remember the shock and horror made me physically sick. Thing were very quiet in our home that night. The thing is for those who have never seen WTC in the flesh, it was a massive structure. For those in London, you think Canary Wharf is big, think 3 times that size possibly more, then you have a rough scale to measure the sheer size of these structures. There were many other buildings that made up the WTC complex, one we saw collapse later, does anybody know what happened to the others ?The bravery of the services, I realy dont know how to put it into words, they are the real (I'm not sure they would appreciate this) hero's of 11-9 Unquestionable. Politics I rarely move into but Mayor Gulliani (forgive my spelling, you know who I mean) was a fantastic role model, not for himself but for the people of NYC and real America,he showed a trait rarely seen in politics,..dignity and genuine compassion. I read, NYC has changed, not the skyline but it's people, they've become more friendly to each other since. So maybe some good has come from it. It's time to move on, never forget but move on.George

Guest SoarPics

Living on the west coast of the U.S., I was starting my day with the local morning news on the tube when the first tower was hit. I continually asked myself how this could be an accident. Then the second tower was hit, then the Pentagon, and finally the crash of Flight 93.Bizarre!!!I held my 9 year daughter, trying to reassure her that we were safe (she thought the cowards would attack her school). I took her to school, reminding her that we all had a responsiblity to do our best in the face of these attacks. At work, it was my responsibilty to hold it all together. I decided early on to let each of my employees express there emotions as they wished. Of course, we were all angry. There also was grief, sadness, fear, uncertainty, and silent loathing.Most of all though, there was resolve. The kind of resolve shared by all freedom loving people, no matter what their country or culture. Not much was produced at my company that day, which is certainly understandable. We came back the next day and tried to do better... you see we brought that resolve with us. And we did the same the next day, and the next.These terrorists can hurt people who are free to live, think, worship, and hope as they wish. But they will fail in their goal of making the world bend to their twisted perceptions. Others have tried before them, and all were cast aside. They are merely sad footnotes in history.In the end they will only succeed in bringing out the best in good people... from all around the world.

Guest TerryT

I was in the VA hospital here in ABQ getting a heart stress test. The nuclear medicine tech came into the room as I lay on the scanner and said there had been a plane crash in New York. As I was moved from room to room for different parts of the tests, I would catch a glimps of news on the TV. I am not sure if the events effected the test results or not as they came back as marginal and I have not had a history of heart problems other than a weird arrhythmia (beat).Not being able to do go back to work (DOE contractor)and do my part in this war against terrorism is the hardest thing for me right now, especially having served 20 plus years in the Air Force.Terry

WOW..! Terry, after that, be glad your heart rate was O.K. !We need to move on, and we need to do it now, it wont go away, we wont forget. It will be one of the "where were you" questions in later years. Live your life free, it's all any off us ask.George

If your child thought so, the job was done and terror did it's job. She is tomorrow, teach her right from wrong and this was wrong and maybe one day we'll all be safe.George

Hi George,"We need to move on, and we need to do it now........"I hear you, and we will move on. Some of us just need to express our sadness and grief, is all. Bruce.

Guest RiddlePilot

I was right here in school. It had just happened as I was leaving my first class of the morning. Walking by one of the on campus dining areas, I noticed a crowd inside around the TV. I went in to check it out, and it all took a few moments to figure out what was going on. I asked the people next to me, but they were in such a state of shock that I couldn't get an answer. Needless to say, the rest of the day's classes were cancelled (per teacher), and alot of people gathered in the auditorium to watch it on the big screen. Our entire fleet sat quiet, day and night, something that NEVER happens. We lost Continental's 737 service to Newark, and Delta cut back as well. I really missed those loud jets disrupting class, or bringing everyone on the sidewalk to a halt when it departed 7L directly over campus. Over the next few weeks, it was scary being amomgst my peers and not knowing what the future held in terms of our careers.Also, another eerie thing is that I got my medical that afternoon. Thats something I will keep in my scrapbook forever.I'm glad to say though that we (as a school and a nation) have recovered. Total enrollment is down, but its the biggest freshman class in years. More girls too... :-eek

Hi Bruce, Of course we do, it's part of the process. My apologies if I sounded uncaring.George

Well, I was surfing Airliners.Net's Civil Aviation forum at around 8:45 PM (GMT+8 time) when I saw a topic named, "Plane that hit the World Trade Center...". I paid no attention to it because I got it mixed up with the B-24 that hit the Empire State Building fifty years ago. Then my dad turned on the TV and tuned to CNN and called me and the family. We were glued to the TV until I went to bed at 11:45 PM.http://212.212.159.238/svedude/imagesP/jp_sig1.jpg

Guest Flyingdutchman

I was doing my homework, when my sister rang, and she said. TURN ON THE TV!! and I was like....wow calm down what happened.Then I turned on the TV and saw the second plane crashing into the WTC center.From that moment.....I knew......the world will change and it will never be the same again....Evert