Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

To Realair Simulations

I'm really enjoying this plane.But can one of you guys tell me why I lose a really big amount of torque when just enabling

FUEL VENT (LEFT and RIGHT): Switches the left or right engine fuel vent heaters on/off.
Does this heat at the vents really affect performance that much? Try it out, lots of torque go off then. Since you are the pros, maybe you can explain. :smile:Another one would be that torque should rise when lowering the prop rpm and leaving the throttles untouched, or am I wrong here? :( Currently, it isn't affected much. I went down from 2000 to 1800 rpm for cruise and the torque didn't care about it.

I'm really enjoying this plane.But can one of you guys tell me why I lose a really big amount of torque when just enabling Does this heat at the vents really affect performance that much? Try it out, lots of torque go off then. Since you are the pros, maybe you can explain. :smile:Another one would be that torque should rise when lowering the prop rpm and leaving the throttles untouched, or am I wrong here? :( Currently, it isn't affected much. I went down from 2000 to 1800 rpm for cruise and the torque didn't care about it.
lol

I'm really enjoying this plane.But can one of you guys tell me why I lose a really big amount of torque when just enabling Does this heat at the vents really affect performance that much? Try it out, lots of torque go off then. Since you are the pros, maybe you can explain. :smile:Another one would be that torque should rise when lowering the prop rpm and leaving the throttles untouched, or am I wrong here? :( Currently, it isn't affected much. I went down from 2000 to 1800 rpm for cruise and the torque didn't care about it.
Torque should increase when you lower the prop rpm, all other things being equal, and it does in the Duke. But it doesn't in default turbo props. Try it, perhaps in the climb. Set power so torque is, say, 1150 ft lbs, with the prop levers full forward. Without changing anything else, pull the prop levers back and reduce the rpm from 2200 to 2000 rpm or 1900 rpm. You will see the torque rise, as it should, but it doesn't rise a great deal.Haven't looked at the heat vent effect. If it is there, it shouldn't be and might be hard coded. We certainly didn't deliberately make it influence anything and if it does, it shouldn't.Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

The Dukes, both piston and turbine, are simply masterpieces. Thanks for what you have done.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

Thanks, Rob, a fast and profound answer indeed. While the "lol" before was .. something else. Big%20Grin.gifI've tried the rpm induced torque increase and I came from "1059" lb-ft on 2200rpm to "1079" when going down to 1800rpm. So a really slight change, as you've said. I'm no pro on this, so I can't judge, but I can explain that this "slight" was interpreted as "none" by me. So sorry if I failed here.Same setting, "1079", and just switching the fuel vents to on and I get "920", so a severe drop.If other guys see this too, maybe this will be an item for a future fix. The piston Duke doesn't care about the switch (only in icing, it helped there), only the turbine does like described.If I could state a wish, I'd name the nice GPS clickspot (on that default GPS device) which was present on the piston Duke but isn't on the turbine. That spot was really neat.Thanks for this plane again, really a nice addition to every GA flyer's hangar. :(

Torque should increase when you lower the prop rpm, all other things being equal, and it does in the Duke. But it doesn't in default turbo props. Try it, perhaps in the climb. Set power so torque is, say, 1150 ft lbs, with the prop levers full forward. Without changing anything else, pull the prop levers back and reduce the rpm from 2200 to 2000 rpm or 1900 rpm. You will see the torque rise, as it should, but it doesn't rise a great deal.Haven't looked at the heat vent effect. If it is there, it shouldn't be and might be hard coded. We certainly didn't deliberately make it influence anything and if it does, it shouldn't.Rob - RealAir
I can confirm the heat vent effect. Somehow this is tripping the FS variable for the ice vanes, not sure of the variable naming but I know you will find it.
Thanks, Rob, a fast and profound answer indeed. While the "lol" before was .. something else. Big%20Grin.gifI've tried the rpm induced torque increase and I came from "1059" lb-ft on 2200rpm to "1079" when going down to 1800rpm. So a really slight change, as you've said. I'm no pro on this, so I can't judge, but I can explain that this "slight" was interpreted as "none" by me. So sorry if I failed here.Same setting, "1079", and just switching the fuel vents to on and I get "920", so a severe drop.If other guys see this too, maybe this will be an item for a future fix. The piston Duke doesn't care about the switch (only in icing, it helped there), only the turbine does like described.If I could state a wish, I'd name the nice GPS clickspot (on that default GPS device) which was present on the piston Duke but isn't on the turbine. That spot was really neat.Thanks for this plane again, really a nice addition to every GA flyer's hangar. :(
This torque increase is there but subtle. In a normal climb in a King Air C90 (similar engines) you should take off and climb out at 1,200 ft lbs/700 ITT max. When you reduce prop rpm you should lower torque to 1,100 ft lbs, bring the props back from 2,200 to 2,000 rpm and the torque will rise about 70-90 ft lbs, you then re adjust to 1,200 ft lbs or 700 ITT max. Edited by zfehr

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

@ Realair Is there any way you can put an option in the config manager to enable and disable the clicks in the VC that change the views? I find it to be CRAZY annoying. For Track IR users it makes things way more difficult than they should be. It is too easy to accidentally click on the panel instead of a switch, changing the view. I've nearly crashed because of this several times.It would be GREAT if you could make this an option. :(

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

@ Realair Is there any way you can put an option in the config manager to enable and disable the clicks in the VC that change the views? I find it to be CRAZY annoying. For Track IR users it makes things way more difficult than they should be. It is too easy to accidentally click on the panel instead of a switch, changing the view. I've nearly crashed because of this several times.It would be GREAT if you could make this an option. :(
+1

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

+1
+2

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

+3 Big%20Grin.gif For the piston one too, if possible. I know, a right click brings you back to normal, but the switch to "not normal" before somehow distracts the TrackIR guys it seems.And thanks for those explained torque relationships again. Really interesting readings.As said, I was looking for the big change there, interpreting stuff. Black%20Eye.gif

Agreed!

Just finished up my first flight and must concur that the Duke Turbine is an excellent product! Lands like a dream. Thank and kudos to the RealAir team.My only request would be a passenger.Thanks againjja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Does anyone else notice a smoke / vapor trail effect that comes off the plane about 500 feet below the centerline? I was flying at FL260 tonight and noticed what looked like a mini cloud floating beneath the plane.. I tried tapping the 'I' (smokesystem) key but it wouldn't go away. Engines were operating within specs.TIAjja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

We should all pool our experience and resources together and make our own Turbine Duke Performance charts, wouldn't that be cool? Im going to start working on mine!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom