Sign in to follow this  
Krister

Best FSX GA airplane from a real pilot's perspective

If I may, the product is not cheap in any way. It's merely inexpensive. Certainly not cheap. Not at all!
And I might add, it looks great with a RealityXP GNS in the panel.. :(

Bert

If you want to test your engine out capability with multi engine GA planes there's no real alternative to the Milviz Cessna 310.Presently its the only GA plane which simulates flight at and even below Vmca extremely accurate.It's the only plane even real GA multi engine pilots at Avsim recommend for engine out training.
Absolutely. It's a gem. It brings out all of the light twin safety debates that you hear in the wake of the Tesla crash.Kdub

Well that's easy when flying IFR traiing you better look a lot to you're instruments :(
Ahahah ok now it's clear. :(

i suggest carenado caravan, it is superb for me.

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

i suggest carenado caravan, it is superb for me.
I must confess that I am also very tempted by this bird since it seems to have a fantastic VC, especially in dark conditions, and is also one of only two aircraft types that regularly fly out of my home aiport (I know, pretty sad...), the other being SAAB 340. Do you know if there is a modified cfg-file available so one could have the RealityXP 530 inserted to the panel instead? Brett Henderson in this thread did comment on the "ridiculous performance envelope for the initially realeased Caravan" but still I am definitely at least considering it!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

If you want to test your engine out capability with multi engine GA planes there's no real alternative to the Milviz Cessna 310.Presently its the only GA plane which simulates flight at and even below Vmca extremely accurate.It's the only plane even real GA multi engine pilots at Avsim recommend for engine out training.
I just bought the Milviz 310 and I agree it has the most realistic engine out flight modeling. It's my favorite FSX general aviation add on.

Bret,You mentioned the Maule and I must agree with the exception of the cockpit night lighting. I have not found anyway to drop the flood lights down. Way to bright. If you have an answer, I would sure appreciate a reply as to what change you made. I commented out one of the light entries but still did not see much of an improvement.RegardsBob

I haven't purchased the Turbine Duke, because I don't think MSFS models turbine engines well.. If we're talking about a real pilot's perspective, that has to count when rating the best.Same for turbo-charging, though it is modeled better than turbines. So for this real pilot, the best has to be a normally aspirated piston-engine airplane.I've purchased just about every GA model out there, and modeled a few myself. If I were to rate the best, it would have to be a consideration of four catagories: 1) Best flight dynaminc (handling, V-speed accuracy, and feel)2) Best performance (climb, cruise, glide; as affected by load variation)3) Best systems replication (accurate and useable gauges.. ie.. MP/RPM against control setting and actual performance; fuel-flow, CHT, EGT etc.. )4) Best immersion (VC-quality/accuracy; model/texture-quality; sounds, etc..) Without going in-depth on high-points and short-comings.. nor noting that I've had to tweak ALL models at least a tad.. These would be my candidates (no particular order)Carenado C206.. even though it falls short due to being pretty much an FS9 re-compilation, it's the best representative of its real-world counter-part.Carenado Saratoga (all Carenado models have great potential).. I spend most of my sim-time in one of these.A2A Cub.. A simple airplane, replicated beautifully.Default Maule.. Worth the price of FSX, all by itself.

Bret,You mentioned the Maule and I must agree with the exception of the cockpit night lighting. I have not found anyway to drop the flood lights down. Way to bright. If you have an answer, I would sure appreciate a reply as to what change you made. I commented out one of the light entries but still did not see much of an improvement.RegardsBob
I rarely fly it at night.. but I'll look into that, and report back..

Hi,Appreciate it. It really is a shame MS did not do a better job with the night lighting.Bob

I rarely fly it at night.. but I'll look into that, and report back..

Hi,Appreciate it. It really is a shame MS did not do a better job with the night lighting.Bob
OK.. What I think you're talking about, is the interior "night" (Maule_M7260C_3_night_C.dds) texture for the panel (as seen in the attachment opened in DXTbmp)If you remove, or rename the texture (make a backup),, the gawdy lighting goes away.. however, the gauges themselve are self-illuminating, and are still rather bright.I thought at first, the VC light would kinda counter that effect, but it never came 'on'. If you view most models from the exterior when the panel lights are on, you can see the cockpit itself illuminate, kinda like a dome light.I checked the aircraft.cfg lighting, and as expected, the light entries were "commented" out (like a REM statement in cfg syntax , '//' )), because the model has modeled-in lighting.. but even after un-remarking the VC light, still no "dome light", which is strange.ANYway.. you can try the rename/remove option.. or if you know how, edit the night texture... Iat this point, it's trial and error.

Thanks Brett! I will rename the dds file and see what it looks like.I really appreciate your time on this and will get back later today or tonight.RegardsBob

OK.. What I think you're talking about, is the interior "night" (Maule_M7260C_3_night_C.dds) texture for the panel (as seen in the attachment opened in DXTbmp)If you remove, or rename the texture (make a backup),, the gawdy lighting goes away.. however, the gauges themselve are self-illuminating, and are still rather bright.I thought at first, the VC light would kinda counter that effect, but it never came 'on'. If you view most models from the exterior when the panel lights are on, you can see the cockpit itself illuminate, kinda like a dome light.I checked the aircraft.cfg lighting, and as expected, the light entries were "commented" out (like a REM statement in cfg syntax , '//' )), because the model has modeled-in lighting.. but even after un-remarking the VC light, still no "dome light", which is strange.ANYway.. you can try the rename/remove option.. or if you know how, edit the night texture... Iat this point, it's trial and error.

I just bought the Milviz 310 and I agree it has the most realistic engine out flight modeling. It's my favorite FSX general aviation add on.
I recently bought the 310 and it is an excellent addon. The flight handling characteristics are a challenge to say the least! I just wish it would be better on the fps...BTW how are the latest from Carenado? The 340 and the Saratoga? And are any Cessna 210 or similar models in development?Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest bstolle
I recently bought the 310 and it is an excellent addon. The flight handling characteristics are a challenge to say the least! I just wish it would be better on the fps...Shez
Yeah, the tip-tank = main tank wasn't Cessnas brightest ideas, LOL. She's much nicer to fly if you fill only the aux (inboard) tanks. Dutch roll tendency and inertia is reduced a LOT in that case.Concering fps, I get much better fps with the 'free radio' version and the main GPS turned off....