@Greg, I think you will be very happy with a Sandy Bridge 2600K system. I think you would get anywhere from 40 to 50 fps FSXMark11 (HLJames gets over 50 fps with his 2600K@5.2Ghz) depending on your overclocking skills/luck. If you can take the time, it would help you and others if you run FSXMark11 on your current system - I am guessing that you would get 20 fps average or under with it. The only issue that I wonder about is your desire to use three 1920x1200 monitors on the new system - you might want to go with a Nvidia 570 so that you have plenty of fillrate.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

@Greg, I think you will be very happy with a Sandy Bridge 2600K system. I think you would get anywhere from 40 to 50 fps FSXMark11 (HLJames gets over 50 fps with his 2600K@5.2Ghz) depending on your overclocking skills/luck. If you can take the time, it would help you and others if you run FSXMark11 on your current system - I am guessing that you would get 20 fps average or under with it. The only issue that I wonder about is your desire to use three 1920x1200 monitors on the new system - you might want to go with a Nvidia 570 so that you have plenty of fillrate.
Here is my setup...Kdub

CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.6 HT-onRAM: 2x4GB 1600 (CL9)GPU: EVGA 260 c216 SCHDD: WD Vrap 300FSXMark11 Results:Test Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg10333, 300000, 20, 45, 34.443 10726, 300000, 20, 46, 35.75311513, 300000, 24, 50, 38.377

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Isn't there at least one high end AMD system owner that will run FSXMark11 and report the results?Dave So far there aren't too any entries but I think they confirm my expectations

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Guest veeray

Looks fairly linear as it should be... and proves once in for all the game is not cpu limited. Although I'm pretty sure most people used that term without actually understanding it ;)

Fresh install, followed protocol exactly (except only ran three tests, first one omitted). System specs:CPU: i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz stock cooling, HT ONMOBO: ASUS P8P67 B3RAM: 2x4GB G.SKILL 1600MHz 8-8-8-24GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon 6990 4GB HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSDWill test again later (tomorow probably) with HT off and a bit higher OC. Then will OC the new 6990 and see if it does anything. Watercooling arrives on Monday so will bench again with 5.0+GHz

FunknNasty,You should consider re-running that one at 5.2GHz and figuring out why your max frame rates were actually lower than they were at 5.0GHz. Did you change something in your settings?

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

FunknNasty,You should consider re-running that one at 5.2GHz and figuring out why your max frame rates were actually lower than they were at 5.0GHz. Did you change something in your settings?
Could it be that cloud distribution is randomized for each run and that's distorting our results?

I'm certainly hitting a wall at 5.2 with FSX, but not with other benchmarks. Could it be that I'm reaching 'max headroom' with the 560? Maybe it's my memory settings, but a 10% hit? re: settingsI ran a series of tests for about an hour looking for anything that might limit the 5.2 bench and found nothing -I checked and double checked the FSX cfg., driver settings, disabled C states and Speed Stepping and even overclocked my video card. @DazzYeah, I too have wondered 'bout the clouds. FSX does not behave the same from run to run let alone session to session.

I am glad that some of those interested in this thread are starting to try to see what it takes to optimize their system in order to match or surpass other reports of FSXMark11 results. I think one of the major elements FOR SOME SYSTEMS (not all) is memory timings and memory speed - even though some of the other threads have found no significant change. Also, FOR SOME SYSTEMS we have the Bufferpools settings be a crucial setting. I would encourage as much reporting as possible of what it takes to match the results of some of the higher results like HLJames. Here are some comments from others that I believe are on topic but from other threads:HLJamesAnd now the Good news for Flight Simulator fans: Sandy Bridge has now taken the L3 cache out of the uncore and it now runs at full floating point core speed and voltage.NOTE: His 2600K system at 5.2Ghz has this memory - Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (don't know the timings) alainneedle1Here are the values a user SHOULD look for in order to obtain highest FSX performance with respect to CPU/Memory communicationDDR3 1333 5-5-5 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1600 6-6-6 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1800/1866 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd GenerationDDR3 2000 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation) 8-8-8 can be used however 7-7-7 is FAR better. I just saw something.....your memory is running at 2T....better to run them at 1TdazzI just reinstalled FSX. New results:Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg15174, 300000, 30, 64, 50.580Then I tested with memos set to 2133MHz 8-10-10-27Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg15926, 300000, 33, 66, 53.087EDIT: that was with a tweaked FSX.CFG and UsePools=0with [bufferPools]UsePools=1RejectThreshold=98304PoolSize=8388608Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg11851, 300000, 23, 62, 39.503Keep experimenting you all! I have also asked that the thread that ended up being about FSX stutter measurement and reduction be pinned. Both fps and stutter reduction are KEY to the best FSX enjoyment.

For the consistency and integrity of the results in this thread and the spreadsheet, please make sure to follow the guide EXACTLY. That means none of your FSX.CFGs should have the bufferpools tweak unless Bojote's online tool places it in your FSX.CFG. If you have opened your FSX.CFG and altered it in any way beyond what's allowed by the FSXMark11 guide, let me know so I can delete your results from the spreadsheet. As I said, that only applies to this thread and the spreadsheet. Of course you can start another thread and add more tweaks to see how much you can improve your frames beyond the official FSXMark11 results. We are of course interested in that to, but please don't even mention those results in this thread.I must say that the results so far are pretty interesting to see. I'm rather jealous of you guys averaging 40+ FPS - but there's still not enough information to explain exactly how you guys are doing it. If I blindly make a general statement from the results so far, it seems like the requirement is a i5-2500k or i7-2600k CPU at 4.8+ and a GTX 5xx GPU. It definitely takes a balanced system as we already knew, but the requirements are still pretty vague. Despite our discussions of memory in other threads, I'm still wondering how much memory as well as GPU clock speed are playing a role in the results. I wish I had some 21333 CL7 memory to play with. They say the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result... Anyway, I'm so limited by my GPU that I doubt I would really see any difference with memory.Would it be too much to ask you guys to retroactively report your GPU core clock for the results you have posted as well as require it on all future test results?Stephen, you have a 5GHz Sandy Bridge, GTX580, and fast memory. According to the spreadsheet you ought to be seeing 45ish fps. Have you had any luck? Did you disconnect all but one monitor to run the test?I don't think the clouds are a big issue - most everybody's test runs are quite consistent, usually within 1 or 2 fps of the average.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here