Do you think going from 16GB of 1600MHZ to 8GB of 2133MHZ RAM would yield a performance improvement as far as FSX goes on a SB system?

No. The fast memory only applies to IB. The performance gains are much smaller from faster RAM on a SB system.

Thanks. I posted some of my FSX Mark results further back in the thread and I'm getting average FPS on an FSX Mark 11 run of approx 44-45FPS.

That's running a 2600K @ 4.9 or 5Ghz with a GTX 680 and 16GB of 1600Mhz RAM. Not that those results are bad but I was hoping for a few extra FPS over that result.

So in your opinion the faster RAM on a SB system will not yield any better results?

Oh what a man will do in the quest for the best possible FPS/smoothness in FSX!! lol

No. The fast memory only applies to IB. The performance gains are much smaller from faster RAM on a SB system.

I dunno, The figures I see in SB are more or less the same than in IB in terms of performance scaling vs RAM speed.

Of course you can run faster RAM with IB, but going from 1600 to 2133 sticks should boost FPS by a 5-6% in both platforms just the same. Whether it's worth the money or not, that's subjective.

Well I guess the only way to definitively have the answer on my system will be to test it. I'll think about grabbing some faster RAM and trying it out. If it performs better I can always sell my existing RAM to make back the money I spend. I'll see what I can do, but the wife might kill me if I spend any more money on this FSX rig!! lol

I went from 42.2 to 47.2 moving from 1600 CAS 11 to 2600 CAS 10, so about 12%.

That is some serious numbers.... That's 30 ---->33 FPS.

That is some serious numbers.... That's 30 ---->33 FPS.

Having tinkered with FSX so long I'm ecstatic to see anything squeeze an extra 5 fps out of it, but I'm curious why TechMaxGuyC saw the same performance increase going from 1600 CAS8 to 2133 CAS9 as I did going from 1600 CAS11 to 2600 CAS10. I wonder what the limiting factor there is? Especially as 2600MHz RAM costs double what 2400MHz RAM does.

Having tinkered with FSX so long I'm ecstatic to see anything squeeze an extra 5 fps out of it, but I'm curious why TechMaxGuyC saw the same performance increase going from 1600 CAS8 to 2133 CAS9 as I did going from 1600 CAS11 to 2600 CAS10. I wonder what the limiting factor there is? Especially as 2600MHz RAM costs double what 2400MHz RAM does.

What CPU clock are you running again? Could also be the timings, I don't know what full timings are on yours but full timings on mine are in my sig.

Interesting and impressive results. I may just have to pull the trigger on some 2133MHz to compare the difference for me on SB.

Techguymax & ramrunner - I'm not a RAM expert so what do you think of this? http://www.gskill.co...s.php?index=403

Those sticks look fine.

What CPU clock are you running again? Could also be the timings, I don't know what full timings are on yours but full timings on mine are in my sig.

I'm running 4.6 @1.295, w/ 10-12-12. I'm really just surprised because you increased 500mhz and increased CL from 8 to 9, and got a 10% gain. When I increased 1000mhz, and dropped CL from 11 to 10, I got the same gain (in terms of % increase using the same clock). I think I'm gonna underclock the RAM, and tighten the timings to see what happens with various settings. I'm curious to find out if there's a hard frequency beyond which gains stop, or if perhaps the benifits scale with CPU clock, or perhaps some other explanation. At the moment it appears that for FSX 2600mhz CL10 ram (which costs $200USD for 8GB) performs just as well as 2133mhz CL9 (which costs $70 USD).