Yeah, I had just installed FSX from a fresh Windows 8 Installation, so it was as pure as ever! Are you using the suggestion for the FSX.cfg from Venetubo saying you have a CPU over 4.3Ghz and a GPU 480 or better?

Actually no. it was a fresh cfg made by FSX. I added the following only...

[bufferPools]

UsePools=0

ATI does not seem to need all those tweaks. I could try it again some time. My problem with this is that it is supposedly a controlled experiment? How do you control it when people end up with different workloads imposed on their system depending on the tweaks derived from how you answered the questions?

I think that tweak was my only one.

C.

Yes, that may be the issue here! The guide did ask me to setup Venetubo according to my system, but I agree with you! We should use the same settings!

I did test UsePools=0 and it got me 3fps better than without it, so I'm using it as well.

Now I can no longer test with a default FSX, but I will continue using FSXMark11 to test my .cfg, as I add new addons and tweaks. I just with they would do a PMDG NGX version of it, that would be the real test for benchmarking our systems, but since not everybody has it, wouldn't become as popular

Take care

Alexis Mefano

Two benchmarks same Haswell computer:

SimForums 3DMark06

AVSIM FSXMark 11

Haswell @ 4.8GHz

HT-off

Liquid cooled

not delidded

Haswell2.jpg

haswell1.jpg

HLJAMES

HLJAMES - Any chance you can do an FSXMark 11 run at 4.5Ghz?

Just curoius to compare to my own results since our hardware is fairly similar.

HLJAMES - Any chance you can do an FSXMark 11 run at 4.5Ghz?

@4.5 GHz (cache 4.3 GHz)

Haswell3.jpg

HLJAMES

@4.5 GHz (cache 4.3 GHz)

Haswell3.jpg

HLJAMES

Thanks HLJames,

Hmmm I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

At 4.5Ghz HT On (Cache 4.2Ghz), 16GB 2400Mhz RAM, Gigabyte GTX 780 @ stock clocks, Samsung 830 SSD 512GB I'm averaging about 48FPS.

This is with SLI disabled. With SLI on my result is worse.

Better results than my 2600K at 4.9Ghz but I thought I'd hit 50FPS average.

Any tips?

Got to get that cas latency down to 9 and command rate to 1.

Haswell @ 1.65 volt memory: cas8 2133MHz, cas9 2400MHz, cas10 2666MHz, cas11 2800MHz.

Sloppy loose memory timing produces dismal performance at any core speed.

HLJAMES

Does SLI disabled mean you have taken the 2nd GPU out of the motherboard giving the remaining GPU all the 16 PCIe lanes from the CPU or does it mean just disabling SLI in nVidia control panel? Just a thought.

Got to get that cas latency down to 9 and command rate to 1.

Haswell @ 1.65 volt memory: cas8 2133MHz, cas9 2400MHz, cas10 2666MHz, cas11 2800MHz.

Sloppy loose memory timing produces dismal performance at any core speed.

HLJAMES

Hmm, this is my RAM. http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c10d-16gtx

Running at XMP which is 2400Mhz 10-12-12-31-2N

Does SLI disabled mean you have taken the 2nd GPU out of the motherboard giving the remaining GPU all the 16 PCIe lanes from the CPU or does it mean just disabling SLI in nVidia control panel? Just a thought.

It's just disabled in nVidia control panel. I doubt removing the second card will make much difference though. The tested performance difference between pcie 3.0 16 x vs 8x is virtually negligible.

I'll try to test it out tonight and see if there's any difference.

For practical purposes though, I'm unlikely to be removing a card every time I use FSX. lol ^_^

Hmm, this is my RAM. http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c10d-16gtx

Running at XMP which is 2400Mhz 10-12-12-31-2N

It's just disabled in nVidia control panel. I doubt removing the second card will make much difference though. The tested performance difference between pcie 3.0 16 x vs 8x is virtually negligible.

I'll try to test it out tonight and see if there's any difference.

For practical purposes though, I'm unlikely to be removing a card every time I use FSX. lol ^_^

You may not need to remove the card to disable it, many motherboard UEFIs/BIOSes allow the option to disable PCIE slots.  Some boards even have dip switches for doing this.  

You may not need to remove the card to disable it, many motherboard UEFIs/BIOSes allow the option to disable PCIE slots.  Some boards even have dip switches for doing this.  

Good point!

I know the XPower can do it but not sure about the MPower. I'll check out BIOS settings when I get home.

Thanks HLJames,

Hmmm I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

At 4.5Ghz HT On (Cache 4.2Ghz), 16GB 2400Mhz RAM, Gigabyte GTX 780 @ stock clocks, Samsung 830 SSD 512GB I'm averaging about 48FPS.

Better results than my 2600K at 4.9Ghz but I thought I'd hit 50FPS average.

Any tips?

Well both of you guys are doing better than me at 4.5 ghz. Maybe its just the 4770k vs. 3770k.

This is with a default win7-64 installation and default FSX with no addons or tweaks except for what was called for in the FSX Mark11 instructions.

How have you set up your windows and FSX to get the extra fps?

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

How have you set up your windows and FSX to get the extra fps?

Nothing special on my end, just a standard install of Win7 64 Ultimate, fresh install of FSX/Acceleration and then run FSXMark 11 as per instructions.

I think your results look about on par for a 3770K at 4.5Ghz with the hardware you've got. FYI my 2600K @ 4.9Ghz with a GTX 680 and 8GB 2133Mhz ram was netting me an average of about 46 fps.

I think the difference between your 3770K results and my 4770K are probably just down to IPC improvements.

Perhaps there's something we both need to be doing to optimise our systems a bit more and squeeze out those extra couple of FPS.

Any tips HLJames/TechguyMax et al?