Sign in to follow this  
MrGreen

MD11 KSFO 28L terrain collision

Hi. I recently bought the KSFO scenery from Flightbeam and have run into an issue where at about 50 feet on runway 28L the PMDG MD11 crash. I can only reproduce this error with the PMDG MD11 on a manual landing, not the autoland for some reason. I'm already in contact with Amir at Flightbeam, who has been very helpful, but because he can't reproduce the error and it only happens for me with the PMDG MD11 (manual landing) I thought I'd post about it here to see if any of you guys have run into the problem. The problem occurs no matter whether I have crash detection turned on or off, but with it off the plane drops to 0 feet AGL where I would've had a game ending crash if it was enabled.Here are some pictures of the crash:VC-view of the crash:Spot-view of the crash:And spot view of the approximate position where i would've crashed, but on an autoland:

Even turning it off will result in a collision but instead of FSX stopping and reloading a past point the aircraft drops 50 feet which is even more unrealistic. Something invisible is making the aircraft crash, I have been able to reproduce it with the MD11 on 4 occasions, 3 of them a game stopper and the last was with FSX crash detection turned off, but then the above mentioned unrealistic thing happened.

Here are two pictures to show what happens with crash detection turned off:Circa 1 second before the "crash point" at approximately 50 feet:And immediately after the sudden drop to the ground:This outcome is to me still not acceptable, I want to land the aircraft myself -_-But thanks for your suggestion.

possibly reinstalling the airport maybe?

Here are two pictures to show what happens with crash detection turned off:Circa 1 second before the "crash point" at approximately 50 feet:And immediately after the sudden drop to the ground:This outcome is to me still not acceptable, I want to land the aircraft myself -_-But thanks for your suggestion.
William,It's an old problem, had it myself and in default scenery, on a couple of occasions.Have a look here:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/278851-strange-behavior-just-before-touching-down/Hope it helps.Regards,Harry

William,It's an old problem, had it myself and in default scenery, on a couple of occasions.Have a look here:http://forum.avsim.n...-touching-down/Hope it helps.Regards,Harry
Thanks Harry, you are probably right. The strange thing is that I just uninstalled and reinstalled the airport and I just had my first successful manual landing at that runway. Did some files get corrupted on the first install?

Thanks Harry, you are probably right. The strange thing is that I just uninstalled and reinstalled the airport and I just had my first successful manual landing at that runway. Did some files get corrupted on the first install?
Hmm, it just happened again. Same story, I fell 50 feet because I turned off crash detection before. Is there any way to solve this problem?

Mr. Green,My guess is that you are running into a terrain texture. Why? Who knows? But, until you get it worked out you can try pausing the sim for a about minute while on final -at around 3 to 5 miles out- or until you're certain that all of the textures for the airport have loaded and are in place.Have you tried playing with the mesh setting?Is FSX dialed in ....Bjote dialed?If you use a mesh app, try reinstalling it, or put it atop the scenery library list.Finally, just out of curiosity, do you use a camera program like EZdoc?

Haven't been able to reproduce this - I've had KSFO since it was in beta too. Something's conflicting there I'm betting, another addon, AFCAD etc - has to be something.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Haven't been able to reproduce this - I've had KSFO since it was in beta too. Something's conflicting there I'm betting, another addon, AFCAD etc - has to be something.
Ryan,What is the Mesh resolution you are using in order NOT reproduce this.Default KFSO does not have this aircraft reaction.To exclude any add-ons, AFCAD etc, please have a look at the old links refering to JFK04L or BOS33L etc.Using only default scenery and able to project the aircraft trajectory from a stabilized approach, found both the Queen and also the more modern MD11 to crash land at certain places.Regards,Harry

I've experienced this very problem with the default SFO, Flightbeam and KBOS with my most recent OS and FSX install -since my Sandy Bridge upgrade. Although, I have not had any issues since I re-installed the FSGenesis West and East coast meshes and fine tuned FSX. One of the symptoms I was having during these rnwy threshold issues that I no longer see is a bouncy md11 and other sim objects at all of the airports I visited (FSDREAM Vegas and JFK; Fly Tampa-Tampa and KBOS, and of course the default SFO and once with the Flightbeam SFO. Again, I'm not sure what caused all of that, and I'm even less clear on why it all went away, but I'm all good now.Ken C.

Just one other thing:I've been flying FSX (SFO is my home airport) since it was released and have gone through occcasional bouts over the years with this texture crash issue (mostly SFO at 19L and both 28's) and have often suspected the causes to be related to FSX Acelleration, EZdoc Camera (beta) and/or Rex runway and taxi textures.

I had a very similar problem landing KSFO 10L yesterday flying the 747-400. I was practicing an autoland, from 50' (on glideslope and on speed) the plane suddenly contacted the ground. I was unable to reproduce it when I flew another circuit.Daniel Talbot

Hi Guys,This is very weird because the same pb happened to me but i was landing at guatemala city MGGT from Latin vfr. I performed an ils approach RWY 01 with the MD11 and disconnected the AP at around 500 ft to continue with a manual landing but at around 50ft exactly like you (post above: cant recall your name fella! Sorry...), the plane just crashed. So i unchecked the damage option in fsx to figure out what happened.To my 2nd attempt at the same height the plane hit the ground whereas i was above the ground: i mean 50ft above the ground. To sum up its like the ground height had been raised but i couldnt see it . Kaman BA