Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoarPics

The U.N. and War on Terrorism

John,Well said - much more eloquent than I could have put it !!

Guest Fortress

"Like many Americans, I am not really concerned with the opinions of the rest of the world. .............history shows the Pax Americana has generally been in the interests of what is right and good for the civilized world."I think this just about sums it up. Lord preserve us!Paul

http://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/Fortress.gifVoted Best Virtual Airline of 2002 and Best CEO of 2002 by participants in the BIG VA Vote organized by FSPILOT.comVANF "Best" New Virtual Airline AwardOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logohttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/saint_georgex1.gif

Thank you John...I'm happy to report that IMO, Mr. Bush said it even more eloquently this morning in his speach to the UN.I pray that his words are from the heart, and not from a speach-writer.Cheers,

Well I don't know about those things B1900...they may be true, they may be untrue. There is some smoke around our current leadership concerning business dealings of the past, that much is evident. Is there fire? Don't know, but usually, "where there is smoke..."OTOH, these men, these human men, did not ask to be thrust upon this stage, this defining point in our planet's history. Many rascals have gone on to do great things. Gen. Grant was a drunk. Roosevelt had mistresses, as did Kennedy. Carter had his brother, and we ALL know about Bill C. Sometimes, life deals you a hand of cards with a Joker. That dosen't mean you have to fold. :)My 2 cents,

Guest jonpoint

I believe that the UN should be taken with a large dose of salts! I think that their 'caretaker' position is OK for aid and maybe for helping to sort out little border skirmishes etc but not for anything else. When it comes to real wars, leave it to the big boys. The UN has such vested political interests in so many different cultures and so many agreements with less-than-credible people that they can't make any decisions. Look at the great involvement the UN had in East Timor, Indonesia, Kosovo. Look at what they literally ORDERED us (Australia) to do regarding taking 'refugees'. As you probably know, they weren't refugees because they'd paid good money - they were illegal immigrants, just like the USCG sends back every day.Every time they are involved in a conflict, they take a 'touchy-feely' position and achieve nothing. They are too concerned about treading on each other's toes (the UN membership consists of many people who will simply never agree anyway...) to actually achieve anything. All they want is for everyone to shake hands and go home.To sum up my feelings on the UN:"Political correctness gone mad..."Besides, does anyone remember what went on in Kofi Anan's home country in the years before his 'elevation to popularity' by the UN? Dig up some old articles if you can. Unfortunately, you may need to take future 'Ananisms' with a grain of salt after that...I would never expect the UN to protect me or my country. We have great allies in Canada, North America and Europe. We have all helped each other on many occasions and will continue to do so. I read with pride that the US military commanders want Australian SAS involved in any actions against Saddam. We WILL be there.As AndyD says somewhere here:.. "I`m not an American, just someone who enjoys my freedom - and If it were`nt for America I`d be slaving in rice patty fields for the Japanese down here in the South Pacific."My thought for the day/week/etc:"Peace doesn't come from sitting around talking. It happens when those that would destroy it are disarmed and no longer pose a threat."JDP 2002That's my two cent's worth!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Since you felt the need to post it in two different threads, I will also post my response here. Enjoy. :-)From here:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...D6&viewmode=allJames,What you have just done is told everyone here that you are a hypocrite.I do my own research. You prove your theory. You are the one that stated it.Waaaaaaaa, I'm leaving because someone called me out.Everything I write here is FACT, get over it James. You have all this proof, put your mouth out there to work. Call PSMNBC, The Communist News Network, Fox, or better yet, call your Representatives, your local newspaper. At least I stand up for my causes. Do You?But don't come on here, make allegations that are unsubstantiated by fact, and expect someone else to do your work.You are pathetic.You state you are leaving before I even responded after you posted a couple times..Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....................Well, My integrity is in tact.... IS YOURS?Of course you won't respond because you left, huh..... We'll see.Regards,Joehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Stephan,I am not going to get into a semantics' game. I was asked my opinion, and I gave it. I don't have to explain it to you or anyone else. I have served my country as a Marine for 8 years and for the past 11 years in another capacity. I also have been involved in aviation for 10 of those years, hence my interest in this site and love for aviation. The following quotes may answer some of your questions. If not don't worry, you are entitled to your opinion also."The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends. It is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists and every government that supports them." President George W. Bush"We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them." President George W. BushAdded: Also I don't feel that politics or religion have a place here. I come here as a place to relax.Paulhttp://www.advdigitalmedia.com/sig.jpg

Joe...as a Moderator of AVSIM, I caution you. Please do not let this degenerate to name-calling. End it now. That goes for everyone. Preemptively (ironic smile shown with that statement)BTW Joe, I served 14 + years USAF. I am a military man. I am a HUman. We can talk this out peacefully, or I will have to take further actions. The cats are away in Tahoe, so I will have to break out my best Al Haig voice and say, "I'm in charge here."Cheers all...lets keep this up. Play nice

Guest SoarPics

Thanks for the effort, Braun, but I fear it's too late. The recent bickering and beratings have run off all reasoned contributors to this thread. People simply do not wish to experience such things.Again, thanks... and thanks for your earlier posts and insight.

ever since 9/11 everyone has been all gung-ho about war. Since when was war a good thing? War is hell, and I hope there isn't one. I guess I am one of the few to stand on the side of the UN on this one... Nobody can convince me otherwise.

It's never too late Greg...that is the hope.I have the power to devise a solution to everything, at least here in our little AVSIM world. I have power :)We all have this power. We all most focus. There is no reason to fight and fuss among ourselves. We are better than this.Warning to everyone. I will lock accounts. Everyone is gone basically. I'm here, and I'm not going to let vitriol close down these so very important discussions.Cheers,

I completely missed that one......Perhaps the "many Americans" that are "not really concerned with the opinions of the rest of the world" should be prevented from leaving the states & voicing their trash to those they refuse to listen to...I truly hope that is the attitude of one ignorant American rather than the whole country !!!

"I believe you will find that the Palestinians came from the state of Palestine - a good part of whose land is now claimed rightly or wrongly by the state of Israel, thanks largely to the UK & US."There never was a State of Palestine, only a territory administered by Great Britain after WWI. Following WWII, In the late 1940s the Untied Nations partitioned British mandate called Palestine into two sections. One was left to the administration of Trans-Jordan, the other for the creation of the State of Israel. Jews, btw, had lived on the land for centuries, and even though they were dispersed in the first century c.e. by the Romans, there presence remained virtually uninterupted, even after the rise of Islam and the creation of the Turkish Empire. But, it is modern history that counts. The Arabs completely rejected the UN partition and began a war against Israel. Israel won, as it did again in 1956 and in its preemptive war of 1967, a war that was in response to the bellicosity of the Arabs which threatned to invade, again. A few years later, it was the 1971 Yom Kippur War. Finally, Egypt's Anwar Sadat, as I noted in a posting above, led his country into a peace treaty with Israel. None of the other Arab states followed, until Jordan did the same a few years ago.As for the Palestinians, I agree they have a right to peace, just as do the Israelis. There are extermists on both sides. There could have been peace if Arafat had not walked away from Camp David in the final year of the Clinton Administration. Look at any map today and see how vast the Arab world is, and how small is Israel. Is it any wonder that it is armed to the teeth. When the Arab states show genuine good will, and not a phony peace offer that requires Israel to move to indefensible borders, when land for peace really means what it implies, then, maybe some progress can be made.Sherman KaplanHighland Park IL