Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoarPics

The U.N. and War on Terrorism

Are you referring to Tom Daschle, The Leader of the Senate and his misdealingsNo...I was not, but since you mention it, there surely is some smoke there too!No...I was refering to our leadership in general, and how they can be leaders and rascals at the same time. Both sides of the aisle. Cheers,bt

Guest Fortress

Thanks. I'm on the side of the US essentially, but I firmly believe the caveats imposed on Iraq are unworkable and will serve nothing apart from the fact that they are so restrictive that there isn't a hope in hell of them being observed. All will promulgate the feeling that war IS necessary.Cheers,Paul

Guest SoarPics

Hi Paul,Don't be so certain that the politicians are much worried about creating a solution that is in any way acceptable to Saddam. The UN resolutions are firmly in place, and have been for many years. The political posturing taking place now is more about adding legitimacy to a declaration of war and firming up an international coalition that will support such action.It's not a matter of if there will be war, but when.Regards,

One other thing Ray, something that has really astonished me over the years:I find more peace-loving folk within the armed forces than outside.Its ironic to come to that conclusion, but in the end - if you really think about it - I guess it makes complete sense. Those who are tasked to fight to preserve our freedom tend to be those who wish more than anything to avoid a fight in the first place. That they have the absolute resolve to do so if it comes down to it is clear: but its been extremely interesting to me to find the vast majority of those who have or are serving in the armed forces have a more pacifistic view of the world than those outside of the armed forces (generally speaking).As a veteran yourself, what do you think of this idea? Do you find it the same, or has my sampling been too small? As a point of reference: I come from a long standing military family - my grandfather was Commander Thomas J. Daily, the worlds authority on WWII battleships and tactics - and my personal hero. He was the first strongly opinion'd pacifist I met in my life, with an overwhelmingly decorated history.Take care,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font

"I find more peace-loving folk within the armed forces than outside."Elrond...as a 15 year veteran of the US Armed Forces, I find that to be a very factual statement. If you know war, you will abhor war. OTOH, members of the Armed Forces also realize that if you fight war, you fight to win. That is the goal. So...in summary, I would say members of the Armed Forces, ANY Armed Forces:1. Avoid war at all costs2. Once in a war, fight to win. Decisively.My 2 cents,bt

I would have to agree with you on the military. I spent 10 years in the Marines and found that the very last thing any of us wanted was to take up arms against anyone... but ALL of us were fully prepared to do just that.

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

Guest LahaskaFlyer

there is no way to peace, peace is the way.Dell 8300 Pentium R4 CPU 3.0 Ghz.Windows XP Pro, 1.00 GB of Ram.256MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 XT.SB Audigy 2 Surround Sound.Dell 19" Monitor, Cable Modem.CH Yoke, CH Pro USB Pedals.Headphones for wife's peace and quiet.