Sign in to follow this  
Propwash

FS9GPS Documentation

After struggling for some time with many of the fs9gps variables and searching the forums for documentation of their use, often in vain, I attempted to fill the gap.What started out as notes on a spreadsheet grew into something more resembling a guidebook, “FS9GPS Module”. It’s a collection of ‘notes to myself’ on the use of the gps module, definitions and examples of its 320 variables, and explanations of the principals of some xml coding techniques such as ICAO Transfer and Cycle Skipping that are used when working with the FS9 gps.dll module.For those interested, it can be downloaded from the BlackBox website:BlackBox Website - GPS GuidebookHope you enjoy it!Regards, Bob

Bob, WOW !! That is one heck of a tutorial! Thank - You for all the work.. One question.. What do you use for your XML editor? Looks like it has some good tools built in. ( IE.. Collapsing sections, IF/ELS tracking etc..)Thanks again -Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

One question.. What do you use for your XML editor? Looks like it has some good tools built in. ( IE.. Collapsing sections, IF/ELS tracking etc..)
Thanks for the comments, Roman... much appreciated. Couldn't have done it without all of the tips and insights you have provided.The xml editor is notepad++Notepad ++
Nice one Bob!!!-Dai
Many thanks, Dai !

Thanks BobJust so happens I am working on a GPS gauge at the moment and trying to decipher the default GPS xml code to try to work out what is what so I'm sure your guide will be a big help.Plus, if anyone doesn't have Notepad++ yet get it. It's great for writing XML.

www.antsairplanes.com

Bless You, Bob! This is going to be a massive help to me!...Don

I haven't looked into Notepad++ for quite awhile now. One of the things I like most about Visual Studio is that I can have multiple .xml file open as tabbed screens, which makes copy/pasting a trival task......which is especially handy for generating a custom modeldef.xml file or makemdl.parts.xml file. :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wow this is amazing. I can't wait to read it.Bob, thanks for all the effort that went into it.Danny

Bill, from the documentation:"Notepad++ allows you to open multiple files at once, or multiple files multiple times, but only one will be active (have focus) at any time. All files are represented on the tab bar with their filename and an icon indicating if its normal, edited or readonly (see the section about the Tab Bar for more details). Simply click on a tab to activate the file. You can also use the Ctrl-TAB and Ctrl-Shift-TAB key combinations to switch through the active files, or depress the right mouse button and use the scroll wheel (see also Switching between Documents)."Hope this helps,

Do you guys use the XML plugin for notepad++? (XML Tools)

Do you guys use the XML plugin for notepad++? (XML Tools)
Nope, I just use the plain old notepad++ v5.8.7 which seems to work with xml just fine for me. Haven't really had a chance to look at all the tools and plugins yet either as I only downloaded it a couple of weeks ago.

www.antsairplanes.com

Wow this is amazing. I can't wait to read it.Bob, thanks for all the effort that went into it.Danny
@Danny, Don, Anthony - Thanks for the feedback. I quite enjoyed digging (somewhat) deeply into the gps module and writing the guidebook although I cannot tell you how glad I am there were not more variables to deal with. I should have stated it more clearly in the text, but I have a renewed respect for the Microsoft team that built MS Flight Simulator and the gps module. As a pilot of over 30 years, I will add that, in my humble opinion, the gps engine seems remarkably capable, if not robust (but I don't think my expectations are as precise as Dai's), and the gps database is pretty darn good - especially considering it's a "game" product that cost me less than 50 bucks. Anyway, my opinion and the guidebook are free, so take them for what they're worth.I hope it encourages more people to write code that utilizes the gps variables. The gps opens up another dimension of FS gauge building possibilities.Regards,Bob

........ but I have a renewed respect for the Microsoft team that built MSFS and the gps module.
Hear hear :( ...... Well ....certainly as far as FS 9 is concerned. :(

Hi,Very nice piece of work!!Now a question related to the Center frequencies and names:I know you have to include "Center" in the NearestAirspaceQuery, but i don't know how to convert the binary, 0011 etc., to hexadecimal like 0xCE4010.Is there some converter or table?Thanks,Edit, found:http://easycalculation.com/binary-converter.phpMay be useful for fr. Bill in his quest for Centerfreq's.Will report if it works.Jan