Sign in to follow this  

A Long, Quick Note :)

Scott Brazell has stated that we can voice concerns here in this forum. I have a couple I'd like to share with you fellow visitors. I have been visiting Avsim forums for 3 years now. I try to obide by all forum rules and I always try to maintain a positive attitude. I state opinions sometimes, but I keep an open mind and try to see both sides. I consider myself as a likeable person around here, maybe not the most popular, but I think some of you like me (I hope :)). I have met some really great people, and overall it has been very pleasant. Well, right up until almost 2 days ago.I recently posted an image in the screen shot forum, an American Airlines repaint of Mike Stone's nice model. Below the image I noted that the lights visible in the pic were points I replaced to make them more accurate. Then I asked a simple question about if anyone knew how to make FS2002 strobe lights flash simultaneously rather than haphazardly. Nothing but good intentions, I was just trying to do something good with the limited knowledge I have regarding designing and painting. A small contribution, but a contribution nonetheless.The post was locked. I thought it was an error since some of the threads went missing in a recent system hiccup. I replied with a link to the locked thread and explained my confusion and that I thought surely it was an error. Granted I failed to place another screen shot in this thread, but with the locked one containing one, I was a little bit bewildered.Scott Brazell replied and stated that this forum is not a help desk, or something to that effect. Then he locked that thread as well. Now I feel that what I posted with my lights is nothing different than if someone posted a repaint and asked for feedback. On top of that, other threads I have noticed since my post was locked include things not even related to the hobby, other posts asking for help, and pictures of the World Trade Center (Which I did not object to, but technically they are against rules posted in anchored threads). These were not locked after mine was locked.I emailed Scott and explained in as calm of a way as possible that I was a little agitated at this. Which brings me to my concerns:I feel that Avsim is a wonderful resource and I still enjoy the forums overall, even with this latest administrative decision. However, my primary concern is with the number of rules that have been enforced as of late. I think it's a little extreme to not allow questions to be asked, regardless of what forum you are in. It seems like it won't be long before people are afraid to ask questions and make posts for fear of them being locked or removed.My second concern is that there has been inadequate consistency with decisions to lock threads. If one thread is locked for a particular reason, every thread should be locked for that reason. This is only fair. Locking some and not others can really lead a person to believe there is a grudge against him or her, when this may not necessarily be the case. I say this without attempting to question moderator decision-making, however, they are the ones who make those calls.I'm not looking for replies, but I think this is really something we should start to pay attention to. And if this concerns you as well, trust me, you are not alone, and you are welcome to reply as well. I love Avsim, I hope no one takes offense to this, but these are a couple of my concerns. Scott Brazell, you are more than welcome to reply here if you wish, I apologize if in my email to you I sounded a little edgy and irrational, but I really was a little upset. I hope you do not take it personally, I just didn't see eye to eye with you on this, and that happens sometimes. I hope you still consider me a valued member around here and honestly see this post and take these concerns to heart. Kindest regards,Scott Duncan

Guest Hampton_Man

Scott... you're officially my role model.

Yes scott should have checked the number of posts you'd made.Your question would have been best placed in the aircraft & scenery design forum instead of in here. There are people there that know more about how FS works than the whole FS crew up in Seattle! I kid you not.Don't take a locked thread too personally. The other night I saw a really bad call by an umpire in a baseball game and the replays only made the ump look really bad. We're all human.

Guest jon_151

I agree on most point Scott made, it's really the matter that must be re-considered by Avsim Staff here.On some case, I feel injustice here, admins here take descision whatever they like in their head without thinking twice of it, that's what I feel.Lately I have seen things change, with more of people that tried to make Avsim a bad place, rules change, I agree with the rules so far, but it seems too much for us simmers here, we want to have fun here, we have opinions that we would like to share, but unfortunately, some little immature members around here is not going to like it if it really oppose the members's mind.On some other case, recently what happen in SS forum is that the thread about "Chinese Pilots" by A32X was NOT locked immidiately, I am disappointed to see moderator's mind that do not think wisely what will happen to that kind of thread ?, the thread will bring to debate and it happened.The bad thing is that user did not receive any legal action, I for so many times see that user have been disturbing and ###### people off.While I was there argueing back, I feel I have the right to defend myself there, I'm half Chinese ans half Indonesian, seeing that just made me pretty upset, I did not see Avsim moderator/admin come to the attention immidiately.Scott, you've been very good....but I just somehow upset at your participation on that thread.The thread was rather a racial issues and finally after lots of debates I didn't see the post anymore, it seems deleted....which is good....but it's not enough seeing that moderator didn't take any action when the thread was at it's first post.While I bet if it's about American Pilots thread by a Chinese member here, that will get locked immidiately, it's the fact I see happens in International Forums owned or staffed by American members.Avsim old motto was "Where simmers from around the world gathers here", what happen to it ? why the motto isn't implemented in the new forum system ?Some Avsim staff in my opinion have been fair and friendly, some not, despite that this is international forum, I would suggest appointments of staff for Moderator and Admin positions, the staff must not be from America, but from other continent, I'm not suggesting myself, but I see that this is rather a must if Avsim going to continue as international simmers discussion forum.Avsim is made by communities, it's large because we as the community support it, but on some cases, we do not get enough justice, sorry for my words, but really this is a must to consider.Thank You.

Right Jon. I was involved in that thread as well, and it did appear to be in the wrong forum. I supported the poster's ideas solely on evidence I had seen on CNN and other televised news networks. When subtle racist remarks became involved, I was a little surprised and offended. There was no need to make comments about Chinese pilots being less skilled or qualified than pilots of other nationalities. I looked at incidents, rather than the racial picture and made some posts based on that unbiased opinion. I was unaware one of the Chinese carriers was a Taiwanese carrier, so the picture looked more grim than it really was on my side. Hopefully when people read my posts they were able to perceive my opinions without the racial aspect. Racism is definitely not cool.This is, in part, the reason I made this post. I've seen some things lately that have me concerned. We need to sit back and all take a deep breath, and then proceed. I hope everything comes together and this place can continue to be a nice place to interact with other individuals from around the globe who are interested in the hobby.Sincerely,Scott Duncan

Guest jon_151

Scott, I'm glad you can take this at a calm manner, it's ok with me, I know that they need training and etc, seriously, but they're improving and etc.I hope that whenenver you see thread like that you will think twice before posting anything to support the poster's evident, apparently the poster of the Chinese pilot post should not be supported.He's on the wrong forum and that post should not be there, I do hope that Admins here can underline this case clearly, I don't want to see that kind of thread anymore and the poster should be banned. This way you demonstrate fairness towards Avsim community for us the international community.You have a point there which I agree, Scott.Anyway let's just stop discussing about the thread, if you feel like to talk to me, I can be reached by ICQ 51460010 or MSN jph_151@hotmail.com.Thanks.

Thank you, Jon. I'll get an email to you as soon as I get the chance, maybe tonight.Your post also illustrates how diverse the membership is here. In fairness to Scott Brazell and other Avsim administrators, governing forums such as these must be a tough task, simply due to that fact that we are all pretty much different people - different cultures - with a common interest. People see things and feel things differently. And who am I to tell them they are not doing the best they can? When you feel a little upset, it's easy to attack a person. I still think what I have said in here needs to be examined though, simply to make the forums more enjoyable for everyone. I don't know how this can be done, but maybe someone can find a way. Flexibility and freedom are a couple things I'd like to see bumped back up a notch, if that's possible.Sincerely,Scott Duncan

Scott..don't worry too much about this, don't take it too seriously. Yes your posts were locked...so what? I've had posts of mine locked for the same reason but it did not matter to me. I still enjoy AVSIM just as much. It's nothing too serious. Yes, the forums have become a lot stricter then a few months ago but it's till a great place. Just enjoy yourself and don't be concerned too much. IF it gets deleted post in another forum and that's it. Take careMike