Sign in to follow this  
Guest Raffael

Missing airport "backgrounds" FS9

Guest Raffael

Good day,First of all I have no real scenery design question, but by using google to search for a solution to my problem I frequently was taken to this forum. From what I have read in different topics about airport backdrops a lot of very knowledgeable people about FS scenery issues are around here, so I hope you can forgive my off-topicness :)I have the following problem within FS9: suddenly the airport backgrounds, the grass or sand perimeters setting airports apart from the adjacent terrain, have vanished. I uploaded a few screenshots to illustrate the issue:th_-2011-mar-12-003.jpg th_-2011-mar-12-004.jpg th_NewImage0001.jpg th_NewImage0002.jpgObviously not pretty :( All default airports are affected, only more detailed addon airports look fine:th_-2010-nov-9-003.jpgI can't track the problem down to any specific addon scenery, disabling all but the default scenery entries does not fix the problem. I'm also not aware of any change I made to my FS installation that could trigger this. Can anyone help my out here? I very much would like to avaid having to reinstall my FS from scratch...Any hints would be greatly appreciated :)Best regards, R.Schmidt

Added any land class files or new texture sets lately? Your pictures show the airport flatten is still around, just not the backgrounds. It would take a lot to alter all those files. but you can check out the area in Hawaii. Look in your \FS9\Scenery\Ocen\scenery folder and see if it says there are 967 files present. And that they all have the file extension of .BGL. Then go check out some of the airports in the islands to see if you are still not showing any of the "welcome mats", as I like to refer to them.

Guest Raffael

thanks for you quick reply meshman, and for taking the time to look into my trouble :)I'm not aware of having added any landclass files lately, but I understand that many addon airports come with landclass files, and I quite regularly add new airports. As for texture sets, I'm using REX and infrequently compile new texture sets with it. But reverting to the backup REX created upon install didn't do the trick.In my \FS9\Scenery\Ocen\scenery folder are 968 files, 967 .bgl's and one .bak (AT9OCEN0.bak, it's also present as AT9OCEN0.bgl). Unfortunately airports in Hawaii look the same as everywhere else:th_NewImage0002-1.jpg th_NewImage0001-2.jpgIt just looks as if these "welcome mats" textures were invisible... :(

I have to admit to not being active in FS9, I made the switch to FSX when it came out.There is a listing, should be in the file library here, that shows all the files on the FS9 4 CDs. With that listing you can extract all the default texture files for \Scenery\World\texture, but there are over 3800 of them. Once extracted to a temporary location, you can copy the existing files in that folder to another backup folder and then cut and paste the extracted files from the CDs into the folder mentioned above. Then start things up and see if things are back to normal or not? Posting in the FS2004 forum might get you a name or link to the CD files download.