Sign in to follow this  
Bman2006

Carenado Gauge

Afternoon all - I am doing some panel resizing so everything pops up correctly on my matrox x3 wide display setup. Everything was working just great until I hit this funny GPS gauge in the Carenado 182 RG. I can't seem to figure out what is going on.When I change the width on the window_size, the height is changing proportinatly. I want to be able to control each of these independently. What am I missing? :)I can change the window_size width to 0 or 0.330 or 0.9 and it has no impact. The height is driven my the changes I made to the width. [Window06]Background_color=0,0,0window_size= 0.0, 0.5window_pos= 0.680, 0.000size_mm=300,460position=3visible=0zorder=0ident=GPS_PANELgauge00=gps!gps, 0,0,300,460Thanks - Benjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

The window_size parameters (width, height) should operate independently of one another.See the explanation here:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526956.aspxQuote:window_size The percentage of the screen to be taken up by window, from 0 to 1. If this is set, the size of the main panel is ignored for this panel and size_mm becomes irrelevant for determining the size of the panel window. (size_mm is still used for calculating the relative sizes of the gauges within the window).However... I can duplicate your situation, so FSX treats this particular gauge differently.. why, I do not know.Look in your Gauges folder - I have an FSGPS295 gauge there which is also a Carenado gauge... If you have it, you might try it as a substitute. I just tried the RXP GNS530 as a test and it resizes, no problem.

Bert

Hi Benjamin,I don't have the 182RG, but I do have their 182Q, and had forgotten about running into this issue myself. My guess is that it has something to do with the actual gauge itself, but I'm not certain on that. In any case, since they're only using a 295, what I did on the 182Q was switch it with the default one.My original GPS section on the 182Q looked like this:

[Window06]Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=300,460position=0visible=0ident=GPS_PANELgauge00=gps!gps,  0,60,300,400

And I changed it so that it now looks like this:

[Window06]Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=545,354//size_mm=300,460position=0visible=0ident=GPS_PANELwindow_size=0.150, 0.400window_pos=0.680, 0.600gauge00=fs9gps!gps_295,            0,0//gauge00=gps!gps,  0,60,300,400

So by doing that, it's still technically the same GPS that comes with the Carenado, but it doesn't have the issue of not being able to properly resize it in the panel.cfg file.Hope this helps and good luck!-George

Thanks guys - glad to hear that I am not crazy. I tried just about every combination and every string I could come up with with no luck hence the post.Bert - I am about "this close" to breaking down and buying the Unlimited package. With the new carenado and Orbx planes on the market accepting the RXP gauges, it's getting close by the day. Convincing myself to drop the $100 is the tough part but I will get over that soon and this will all be obsolete. George - Winter Haven.. I just got back from Longboat Key up north of you. Great Wx ... loved it. Thanks for your input.I will work on swapping out the gauge. I've never done it but suspect it's not too tough.

Benjamin Van Eps

Real quickly - Explain to me the size_mm= versus having the H and W in the gauge00= string? I thought I didn't need the size_mm= if the window_size was specified?

Benjamin Van Eps

Real quickly - Explain to me the size_mm= versus having the H and W in the gauge00= string? I thought I didn't need the size_mm= if the window_size was specified?
Suggest you read the MS document.. The window_size defines the size of the window on the monitor.The gauge size coordinates are relative to the size_mm definition.

Bert

Yeah, that's the problem. I've read it say probably 15 times. Ill keep reading it - I am picking up a little more each time and then experimenting.Thanks for your help guys.

Benjamin Van Eps

Thanks guys - glad to hear that I am not crazy. I tried just about every combination and every string I could come up with with no luck hence the post.Bert - I am about "this close" to breaking down and buying the Unlimited package. With the new carenado and Orbx planes on the market accepting the RXP gauges, it's getting close by the day. Convincing myself to drop the $100 is the tough part but I will get over that soon and this will all be obsolete. George - Winter Haven.. I just got back from Longboat Key up north of you. Great Wx ... loved it. Thanks for your input.I will work on swapping out the gauge. I've never done it but suspect it's not too tough.
Nice, Longboat Key is beautiful, hope you had a great time! The weather here in Florida really has been great (though chilly the last two nights lol.) I don't have the RXP gauges myself, but I heard that they are fantastic. That said, in the meantime, if you just copy and paste my updated [window06] section over the one in the 182RG (always making sure to make a backup of the panel.cfg first), then you can adjust size and position to taste.To try and give you just a quick summary, the window_size value is the size of the panel window itself, in percentages, of the game window itself. So for example, a value of window_size=0.25, 0.40 tells FSX to display that panel window at 25% of the game window's width, and 40% of the game window's height. The maximum value for either is 1.0, which is equal to 100%. The size_mm value doesn't affect the size of the panel window at all, but ultimately determines the scaling of the individual gauges. So if you started playing with that value, and we'll say that its values were set to 512, 512 by default. If you changed the values so it read 'size_mm=256, 265', then the scaling is halved, and as a result, the individual gauges would be twice the size, and so each gauge will also need to be adjusted to fit. Conversely, if you had changed the value to 'size_mm=1024, 1024', then the scaling would be doubled (resolution-wise), so the gauges on that panel would appear as half the size and would need to have their individual size settings changed (doubled) in order to fit in the panel correctly. That's pretty much a down and dirty explanation, but I hope it helps you get the idea of what these values affect. :)Just remember, once you've got your panel.cfg backed up, then it doesn't matter if you make mistakes while you're playing around trying to learn how the different values affect things, because you'll always have your original to fall back on, so feel free to experiment with different settings and just have fun with it.Good luck and Happy Flying (and Panel Editing too!) :)-George

Bert - I am about "this close" to breaking down and buying the Unlimited package. With the new carenado and Orbx planes on the market accepting the RXP gauges, it's getting close by the day. Convincing myself to drop the $100 is the tough part but I will get over that soon and this will all be obsolete.
If you do not currently own any RXP GNS gauges, the Unlimited package willactually cost you $150-$200530W $50430W $50Unlimited $100 (for Crossfill, TCAD etc..)

Bert

If you do not currently own any RXP GNS gauges, the Unlimited package willactually cost you $150-$200530W $50430W $50Unlimited $100 (for Crossfill, TCAD etc..)
You can also get a modified carenado gauge here where that click and drag areas has been corrected on top and on left side.resize is now very easy..!!some of the other enhancements..-Traffic-Terrain-Terrain Shadowing-additional Buttons-right data fields box switch on/of (to have larger MAP area)and a lot more.. see the postget the adjusted guage hereThis gauge is for the carenado 208 but will work 100% in the 182RG.just change this
[Window06]Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=300,460position=0visible=0ident=GPS_PANELgauge00=gps!gps,  0,60,300,400

to this

[Window06]Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=500,266window_size_ratio=1.000  position=0visible=0ident=GPS_PANELwindow_size= 0.350, 0.248window_pos= 0.010, 0.750zorder=0gauge00=CarenadoG430!GNS430_nc1,  0,0,500,266

Ahhh - I wondered if the unlimited would actually provide you with the original gauge license. FAQ and your post clears that up!Thanks for the info. I really need to just bite the bullet and treat it as an investment. I don't need any real world training but it would be nice to be fully functional and more true to real world. Perhaps I should just peck away at parts of it. Start with the 530, then the 430 then the Unlimited if needed down the road.

Benjamin Van Eps

Perhaps I should just peck away at parts of it. Start with the 530, then the 430 then the Unlimited if needed down the road.
That is the way I did it.The GNS530W is such a step up from the default FSX unit, you will never look back :(

Bert

You can also get a modified carenado gauge here where that click and drag areas has been corrected on top and on left side.resize is now very easy..!!some of the other enhancements..-Traffic-Terrain-Terrain Shadowing-additional Buttons-right data fields box switch on/of (to have larger MAP area)and a lot more.. see the postget the adjusted guage hereThis gauge is for the carenado 208 but will work 100% in the 182RG.just change this

to this

[Window06]Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=500,266window_size_ratio=1.000  position=0visible=0ident=GPS_PANELwindow_size= 0.350, 0.248window_pos= 0.010, 0.750zorder=0gauge00=CarenadoG430!GNS430_nc1,  0,0,500,266

Blik - Excellent. I completely forgot all about the modified gauge. I do have the C208 - fun plane. I will try out this modified gauge for sure!!Thanks for the link!
That is the way I did it.The GNS530W is such a step up from the default FSX unit, you will never look back :(
Bert - Did you end up dropping the 530 in just about every plane? Have you found a need for the crossfill? I mean, it would be nice in the Lancair and Beech Duke.. :)

Benjamin Van Eps

Nice, Longboat Key is beautiful, hope you had a great time! The weather here in Florida really has been great (though chilly the last two nights lol.) I don't have the RXP gauges myself, but I heard that they are fantastic. That said, in the meantime, if you just copy and paste my updated [window06] section over the one in the 182RG (always making sure to make a backup of the panel.cfg first), then you can adjust size and position to taste.To try and give you just a quick summary, the window_size value is the size of the panel window itself, in percentages, of the game window itself. So for example, a value of window_size=0.25, 0.40 tells FSX to display that panel window at 25% of the game window's width, and 40% of the game window's height. The maximum value for either is 1.0, which is equal to 100%. The size_mm value doesn't affect the size of the panel window at all, but ultimately determines the scaling of the individual gauges. So if you started playing with that value, and we'll say that its values were set to 512, 512 by default. If you changed the values so it read 'size_mm=256, 265', then the scaling is halved, and as a result, the individual gauges would be twice the size, and so each gauge will also need to be adjusted to fit. Conversely, if you had changed the value to 'size_mm=1024, 1024', then the scaling would be doubled (resolution-wise), so the gauges on that panel would appear as half the size and would need to have their individual size settings changed (doubled) in order to fit in the panel correctly. That's pretty much a down and dirty explanation, but I hope it helps you get the idea of what these values affect. :)Just remember, once you've got your panel.cfg backed up, then it doesn't matter if you make mistakes while you're playing around trying to learn how the different values affect things, because you'll always have your original to fall back on, so feel free to experiment with different settings and just have fun with it.Good luck and Happy Flying (and Panel Editing too!) :)-George
George - thanks for the explanation. That's pretty much how I understand it. I was getting confused when I read this:A definition of the unit size used for placing and sizing gauges on this panel. For example, if the size_mm is 200 x 200 and a gauge’s size is 50, 50, it will take up 1/16th ( ¼ x ¼) of the panel window. If no size_mm is defined, the size of the panel’s background bitmap (not the gauge’s background bitmap) will be used. If no background bitmap is defined (as is often the case with popup panels that contain only one gauge), a default size of 100 x 100 is used. If window_size is not specified, the size of the window on screen will be size_mm divided by the size_mm for the first window specified in the panel.cfg. For example, if the size_mm for a given panel is 200, 200 and the size_mm for the first panel in the panel.cfg is 1024 x 768, the given panel would occupy 19% of the screen in the x dimension and 26% in the y dimension, or a total of 5% of the total screen area. I wasn't sure about what reverted back to what when variables are used or not. If I read it correctly, if the window_size is not specified that panel window would be size_mm= divided by first window (Window_00) to give you a relative scale of the panel window. If seems much easier to just give the panel window_size and let the gauge BMP be scaled within that window relative to the size_mm. Thanks for your help - I will get it through my thick head eventually.

Benjamin Van Eps

Bert - Did you end up dropping the 530 in just about every plane? Have you found a need for the crossfill? I mean, it would be nice in the Lancair and Beech Duke.. :)
I initially used the 530 everywhere, but being a full height gauge,it does not fit into a half height slot... so for the Carenado Bonanzaas an example, the 430 is the better fit.It is really in the Duke, with a 530 and a 430 in the panel thatthe Crossfill functionality makes a lot of sense, or in the Lancair with dual 430s.

Bert