Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Landing the 747-400

Dear Ken,I just sent you an email concerning the manual. The whole manual is Copyrighted, so I cannot post it here.But you are right. This is the latest valid version downloaded from Boeing few days ago.Best regardsPetr

This is my two hours in the sim http://forum.avsim.net/topic/293112-two-hours-in-a-real-744-sim/The "Flare" in the real thing is a lot different to PMDG. I found that out! You lift the nose by one degree and that's it. Pity I didn't have enough time to refine that! One day again maybe.
Wow, one degree doesn't seem like much but I'm sure it slows down the rate of decent to some point. What flap setting did you use, how much did the aircraft weigh, and what was the Vref? Although the PMDG is a different simulator than the real one, I usually flare and hold 5 degrees on the PFD since the manual says to rotate the nose to 6 degrees. I would like to book a real 747 simulator but I don't know of one where I live. Ken.

But I have real trouble slowing my rate of decent. I have the propper flaps and speed.Also when landing would you disengage the autothrottles?

Guest barkley

50' look down the end of the runway, 30' flare - about 2 degrees up, 20' ft retard to idle....works like a charmAT should be disengaged at minimums...or preferably before if you're visualNate

This is my two hours in the sim http://forum.avsim.net/topic/293112-two-hours-in-a-real-744-sim/The "Flare" in the real thing is a lot different to PMDG. I found that out! You lift the nose by one degree and that's it. Pity I didn't have enough time to refine that! One day again maybe.
Not to burst bubbles here, but many simulators aren't really rigged to be exactly like the real aircraft, and are more geared for procedural trainers with motion for both crew familiarity, CRM and non-standard operations. "Real thing" can only be described as having air under your wings.
Wow, one degree doesn't seem like much but I'm sure it slows down the rate of decent to some point. What flap setting did you use, how much did the aircraft weigh, and what was the Vref? Although the PMDG is a different simulator than the real one, I usually flare and hold 5 degrees on the PFD since the manual says to rotate the nose to 6 degrees. I would like to book a real 747 simulator but I don't know of one where I live. Ken.
The flare is the change in pitch from the current pitch angle to the new pitch angle, so changing from 5 to 6 would fit with the suggestion to flare 1-2 degrees. Furthermore, it's not your pitch that fully determines your rate of descent, it is also your speed. If you're well under your speed, 1 degree won't slow down the rate of descent much, but it'll put you closer to stall.

Kyle Rodgers