Sign in to follow this  
Guest 747dash8

Rebuilding my PC

Just an fyi for you SSD illiterates the Sata SSD drives are absolutely no where even close to the performance of the revodrives. It has a constant WRITE not read, WRITE speed of 450mb/s as your silly sata drive can only do 210mb/s, 540mb/s read speed. The life span is also SIGNIFICANTLY higher than sata SSD's. Sata SSD last MAYBE 3 or 4 years at the max.ATI doesn't exist anymore people stop saying their drivers suck ect... 11.2 is absolutely fine even 11.4 is outstanding since AMD took over. Also, nVidia recalls so many drivers it will make your head spin.

I personally don't think it's possible to futureproof a PC. I made the mistake once in my life and don't want to do the same again. I once paid 620$ for the Top of the line 8800 Ultra and 3 months later, they released the 8800GTS 512MB which had close performance for 3 times less the cost.So now, instead of paying big bucks to get the top of the line PC and hope it lasts say 4 years, I get parts that offer maybe 10-15% less performance but update it every two years. If you want to buy the best of the best, then by all means, go for it. Just make sure you try to pricematch everything cause here, I can get a GTX 570 for 300$ and a GTX 560 Ti for 200$ with the current promotion.

As far as hard drives go, does it make a difference with performance? All about the same priceWhat is better?OPtion 1. Solid state HD 256 gig + a cheap 2nd 7200 rpm HD Option 2. 500 gig at 10,000 rpmOption 3 1 tb at 7,200

Paul Gugliotta

As far as hard drives go, does it make a difference with performance? All about the same priceWhat is better?OPtion 1. Solid state HD 256 gig + a cheap 2nd 7200 rpm HD Option 2. 500 gig at 10,000 rpmOption 3 1 tb at 7,200
The best option is to go with a SSD for Windows and most used applications and a regular Hard drive for the rest.If you're on a smaller budget you can buy a smaller SSD (60-80GB) but it is SO fast! I think it's worth the price. Also, make sure you buy a good one. There are some cheap ones right now but they don't offer the same performance.

Just an fyi for you SSD illiterates the Sata SSD drives are absolutely no where even close to the performance of the revodrives. It has a constant WRITE not read, WRITE speed of 450mb/s as your silly sata drive can only do 210mb/s, 540mb/s read speed. The life span is also SIGNIFICANTLY higher than sata SSD's. Sata SSD last MAYBE 3 or 4 years at the max.ATI doesn't exist anymore people stop saying their drivers suck ect... 11.2 is absolutely fine even 11.4 is outstanding since AMD took over. Also, nVidia recalls so many drivers it will make your head spin.
This is almost all blatantly false information.1. Yes, a RevoDrive is "faster" than a standard SATA SSD, but this is not going to be even remotely noticeable in normal use, especially for someone who's coming from mechanical drives. The new SF2000 and Intel G3 SATA drives are also very close to the Revo in terms of throughput.2. The RevoDrive is faster because it's two SSDs in RAID0. There is a problem with this - TRIM does not work with RAID arrays and the drive is going to slow down over time. There's nothing you can do about it short of low level formatting (aka "secure erase").3. SATA SSDs lasting 2 or 3 years - you pulled this one right out of you know where. Absolutely no truth to this, in fact authorities on the technology like AnandTech say there's no reason SSDs can't last 10+ years. The RevoDrive is 100% the exact same type of flash memory that a SATA SSD is - MLC NAND. OCZ's warranty on the Revo vs. the SATA ones is exactly the same.4. ATI was simply renamed AMD - it's the exact same drivers and the same people making them. AMD bought the ATI company several years ago. Their drivers still do not work fully correctly in FSX - there are issues with AA levels that are solved by the Nvidia driver's combined mode and there are graphical corruption problems such as diagonal seams through GDI+ gauges. I was directly told by a representative that they would not fix these issues because FSX is such an old game and small part of their user base.5. Nvidia has recalled one driver that I'm aware of, the 196.75 set that disabled fan control. How one incident is "so many it will make your head spin" is beyond me.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

This is almost all blatantly false information.1. Yes, a RevoDrive is "faster" than a standard SATA SSD, but this is not going to be even remotely noticeable in normal use, especially for someone who's coming from mechanical drives. The new SF2000 and Intel G3 SATA drives are also very close to the Revo in terms of throughput.2. The RevoDrive is faster because it's two SSDs in RAID0. There is a problem with this - TRIM does not work with RAID arrays and the drive is going to slow down over time. There's nothing you can do about it short of low level formatting (aka "secure erase").3. SATA SSDs lasting 2 or 3 years - you pulled this one right out of you know where. Absolutely no truth to this, in fact authorities on the technology like AnandTech say there's no reason SSDs can't last 10+ years. The RevoDrive is 100% the exact same type of flash memory that a SATA SSD is - MLC NAND. OCZ's warranty on the Revo vs. the SATA ones is exactly the same.4. ATI was simply renamed AMD - it's the exact same drivers and the same people making them. AMD bought the ATI company several years ago. Their drivers still do not work fully correctly in FSX - there are issues with AA levels that are solved by the Nvidia driver's combined mode and there are graphical corruption problems such as diagonal seams through GDI+ gauges. I was directly told by a representative that they would not fix these issues because FSX is such an old game and small part of their user base.5. Nvidia has recalled one driver that I'm aware of, the 196.75 set that disabled fan control. How one incident is "so many it will make your head spin" is beyond me.
This is just beautiful Ryan! The tone of the quoted post was really derogatory. It not only wasn't factual, it was also derogatory. *sigh*Thanks again Ryan for your "fuente de información y razonamiento." You really put to bed rumor starters. ;)

Guest 747dash8

My case is the Cooler Master RC 333, just wondering if this would be big enough and weather the power supply in it is powerful enough. Could I please have a second opinion on upgrading to Win 7 x64. I have heard about this Sandy Bridge company and I was wondering what they do to the processors. One more question, if i got the i7 2600k @ 3.4ghz and lets say overclocked it to 4.2ghz how long would it last and would it be worth it.ThanksAndrew Cary

My case is the Cooler Master RC 333, just wondering if this would be big enough and weather the power supply in it is powerful enough. Could I please have a second opinion on upgrading to Win 7 x64. I have heard about this Sandy Bridge company and I was wondering what they do to the processors. One more question, if i got the i7 2600k @ 3.4ghz and lets say overclocked it to 4.2ghz how long would it last and would it be worth it.ThanksAndrew Cary
First, there is a big performance increase with W7 64bit. Switch!Second, Sandy Bridge is not a company, but rather the name of the intel processor. Also, the second gen i7 can be OC'd to at least 4.6Ghz with a decent cooler. So don't stop at 4.2.

First, there is a big performance increase with W7 64bit. Switch!Second, Sandy Bridge is not a company, but rather the name of the intel processor. Also, the second gen i7 can be OC'd to at least 4.6Ghz with a decent cooler. So don't stop at 4.2.
I found this out & thought it'd be worth mentioning. Only 50% of i7 2600k's can go past 4.5GHz. Regardless of multiplier settings, vcore or anything else, the chips just can't do it. Mine capped out at 4.4GHz. At 4.5 it crashes whether I've got vcore at 1.3v or 1.5v, HT on or off, but I can run 4.4GHz all day long at 1.25v, which also keeps it nice & cool. Even if I couldn't hit the 4.8 I'd been dreaming about, 4.4GHz is still pretty fast for a quad with hyperthreading!As for longevity when OC'ing, the factory included Intel autotune should get you up to at least 4.3GHz. They were built to OC.For what it's worth, that's with the P67-PRO board, H70 cooler & Corsair 9-9-9-24 memory (4x4)

1. Case: This is a mid tower case with bad ventilation. If I were you, I'd get a full tower case with good ventilation. You will be upgrading your components, you don't want to skimp on your case. The performance of the system relies on case ventilation. Remember that the H70 takes your back fan port, so with RC 333 you wouldn't have any exhaust ports. I'll get a link to an affordable case and post it here. 2. PSU: Which power supply are you referring to?

I found this out & thought it'd be worth mentioning. Only 50% of i7 2600k's can go past 4.5GHz. Regardless of multiplier settings, vcore or anything else, the chips just can't do it. Mine capped out at 4.4GHz. At 4.5 it crashes whether I've got vcore at 1.3v or 1.5v, HT on or off, but I can run 4.4GHz all day long at 1.25v, which also keeps it nice & cool. Even if I couldn't hit the 4.8 I'd been dreaming about, 4.4GHz is still pretty fast for a quad with hyperthreading!As for longevity when OC'ing, the factory included Intel autotune should get you up to at least 4.3GHz. They were built to OC.For what it's worth, that's with the P67-PRO board, H70 cooler & Corsair 9-9-9-24 memory (4x4)
I've heard this around the web, but has it really been confirmed? I didn't have a problem with mine or any of the SB customs that I've built for work. They've all gotten to 4.6 easily with the H70.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517010I've used this on several builds, and it has lots of features and has good ventilation. It won't break the bank either.

Guest 747dash8
2. PSU: Which power supply are you referring to?
Doesn't matter, i'll be getting a new case anyway. I just want to get this all right, I don't want to spend over $1,500 on something that is worse than my blown up one. Just want to know what I can salvage, I am pretty sur I could get the HDD out wondering about the DVD drive though and could I use the DDR2 memory for a while on the Asus P67 motherboard and the i7 2600k while I save and get the DDR3.Andrew Cary.

I've heard this around the web, but has it really been confirmed? I didn't have a problem with mine or any of the SB customs that I've built for work. They've all gotten to 4.6 easily with the H70.http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811517010I've used this on several builds, and it has lots of features and has good ventilation. It won't break the bank either.
I suppose mine confirms it. Big%20Grin.gifI followed the Sandy Bridge OC guide here & it was like smashing into a brick wall after I got to 4.4GHz. Didn't matter what I did with the vcore, ease it up or kick it all the way to 1.5, 4.4 was my limit.Maybe I missed something in the guide or forgot to change a setting, but I feel like I followed it as closely as possible.EDIT: DDR2 memory won't work, the slot is different. Notch position I believe.EDIT2: The Antec 900 is also a good case. It's what I use & I've been happy with it. Only downside is if you choose to use the H70 cooler you will have to trim the fan clips off the side panel or it won't close.

Very well, put. Just one more thing: actually, and given that the Revo drive is a RAID 0, I guess it's life span is much shorter than a regular SATA SSD since the minute one of the drives in a RAID 0 fails, all data is lost IIRC, and the Revo drive would not be functional anymore

Guest 747dash8

Ok, thanks for this guys, know I need to find a place to get all this crap. I wonder if it would be cheep to import from the US because the AUD dollar is so strong. Can't wait to be flying around ORBX Ymml in the 737 NGX with REX 2.0Big%20Grin.gif!!!