Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

Question About Watts and Amps

Just bought the ASUS ENGT430 1GB GeForce Low Profile Video Card it states in reccomended requirements you have a minimum of a 450 power supply (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps.).....My current power supply is a 450 18 watts at +12V.....Question... Do I really need to upgrade the PSU or am I ok for fliying FS9 and X without overclocking.Thanks...dont want to spark something...Randy

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

Just bought the ASUS ENGT430 1GB GeForce Low Profile Video Card it states in reccomended requirements you have a minimum of a 450 power supply (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps.).....My current power supply is a 450 18 watts at +12V.....Question... Do I really need to upgrade the PSU or am I ok for fliying FS9 and X without overclocking.Thanks...dont want to spark something...Randy
That card requires a minimum 300watt supply with 18amps on the +12v rail. That is overall not specific to the card. If you are saying your current supply is 450 at 18amps then you are fine. To be sure use this calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jspAlso know that:1) Watts= volts x amps2) Amps = watts/volts

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Guest jahman
That card requires a minimum 300watt supply with 18amps on the +12v rail. That is overall not specific to the card. If you are saying your current supply is 450 at 18amps then you are fine....
He's saying "18 watts at +12V" which is insufficient.Cheers,- jahman.

He's saying "18 watts at +12V" which is insufficient.Cheers,- jahman.
Ok I am now officially confussed.....with a 450watt PSU at 18 amps on the +12V power/rail or whatever it is called am I fine or not.... I am not an electrical engineer nor do I play one on TV.Randy

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

What's your PSU brand & model? are you sure it's not two 18A - 12V rails?

What's your PSU brand & model? are you sure it's not two 18A - 12V rails?
What is a rail???? I think it is a PowerSource 450LC B something... I am at work right now... When I look down the chart on the supply in the +12V column it says on the bottom row 18A... how do I know if it is a two rail or whatever and what difference will that make.... just about to go buy a Thermalake 500 that will give me +12V at 30a.thanks Randy

What is a rail???? I think it is a PowerSource 450LC B something... I am at work right now... When I look down the chart on the supply in the +12V column it says on the bottom row 18A... how do I know if it is a two rail or whatever and what difference will that make.... just about to go buy a Thermalake 500 that will give me +12V at 30a.thanks Randy
You've got plenty of power - don't waste your money..This card does not need a bigger power supply. It is rated at 49 Watts..http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-430-us.html

Bert

Some PSUs have 2 or more 12V rails like this one (+12V1 and +12V2): http://images.ncix.c...AE6EAD25F75.jpgIf yours is one of those generic OEM PSUs and it only has a single 12V 18A rail, it's probably not enough. Where did you buy the computer and what are your complete specs?
So when I get home and my chart shows both +12 V1 and +12 V2 and both are at 18A then am I good to go???

So when I get home and my chart shows both +12 V1 and +12 V2 and both are at 18A then am I good to go???
YesWhat was your former GPU?

If yours is one of those generic OEM PSUs and it only has a single 12V 18A rail, it's probably not enough. Wh
Guys, am I missing something?The 430 is a 49W rated card - it does not need a lot of power to run..It does not even have an external power connector :rolleyes:

Bert

YesWhat was your former GPU?
I think was a PowerSource model... I bought it from the computer store down the street 4 years ago.

Guys, am I missing something?The 430 is a 49W rated card - it does not need a lot of power to run..
But if that PSU is a single 12V 18A rail it's not 450W. Not even close, 216W theroretically. That's why I asked the complete specs and what was his former video card.Reviews of the card show total system consumption of 200 - 250WHe can always try

I think was a PowerSource model... I bought it from the computer store down the street 4 years ago.
You mean the Power Supply Unit? I was talking about the video card, the one being replaced by the GT 430. ANd the rest of the parts?

Nvidia Asus GeForce 6600