Sign in to follow this  
RPRIEVER

Moving FSX from prog files folder

Greetings all,After reading about several problems with the way Windows handles items in their "program files" folders, I am trying to move the FSX folder out of there. Basically, I want to move the MSFSX folder from C:\program files (x86)\MSFSX to C:\MSFSX, by cutting and pasting from one to the other. However, after clicking on Administrator Permission, I keep getting this error msg: " The action cannot be completed because file or folder open in another program....close file or folder and try again". I can't find which file/folder they are refering to, and I even tried rebooting my computer and trying again. That didnt work. Any ideas?I have Windows 7, 64bit.Many thanks,Ron

When you installed FSX your register was modified and contains numberous entries that points to FSX in the program files (x86) location that you installed it on. To do what you want to do would require that you edit your registry and change each and every entry that points to the FSX location. Making this kind of extensive manual modification to your registry is NOT a good idea.You should completely uninstall FSX from the Control Panel and then delete any and all FSX related folders left over that you find in C:Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games, C:ProgramData\Microsoft, C:Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft, C:Users\Your Name\My Document and C:\Users\Your Name\My PicturesRebootDownload and install CCleaner and run the registry repair, when it asks you if you want to save your existing registry select Yes. After CCleaner you can run GlarySoft Registry Repair if you want and do the same thing, GlarySoft will automatically save your current registry.http://www.piriform.com/ccleanerhttp://www.glarysoft.com/products/utilities/registry-repair/Reboot and run CCleaner againReboot and install FSX where you want it.

Anyone used these 2 programs? Are they safe? I just installed FSX and had to do a reinstall. Should I be concerned about duplicate or erroneous registry files? Cheers, Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

Guest firehawk44
Anyone used these 2 programs? Are they safe? I just installed FSX and had to do a reinstall. Should I be concerned about duplicate or erroneous registry files? Cheers, Iain
I have used CCleaner. I have never seen or used the other recommendation. I currently use Advanced System Care - http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcarepro.html . They have a freeware version and a payware version. It not only cleans the registry but also looks for Malware (much like CCleaner). All of the programs are very safe. They backup your registry before they delete anything. In this world of evil people, I think everyone should own the free Microsoft Security Essentials or one of these registry cleaners and use it regularly (at least once a week). Best regards,Jim

Ccleaner and Glary Utilities are both good tools. Yet, like AV tools, they wool differently. You must run Ccleaner at least twice to catch everything. Then if you happen to run Gladys, it will catch problems the other do not. You can run them in reverse order and the same thing can happen. Tweak Now is a third tool that is also very good. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but I once had some unknown problem stuck in my computer until I ran all three tools. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.