Sign in to follow this  
Airbus Commander

Upgrade

Okay, so I'm thinking of upgrading my rig as my current one is on its last legs.I really only need to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard and don't really want to buy a cooler unless I have to...I already have a Nivida 9500 GT graphics card, 512 MB, what do yee think of this?I also have a 500W power supply but don't really know if this needs to be upgraded?Wanted to go for one of the sandy bridges series but can't for the life of me tell the difference between them exept for speed.I don't know what the K stands for either or the difference between i5 or i7 so a little advice wouldn't go astray, especially with regards to FSX.I'll probably also go for the P67 mobo but is thereanything I need to know before buying a new mobo?Any other recomendations?

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Okay, so I'm thinking of upgrading my rig as my current one is on its last legs.I really only need to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard and don't really want to buy a cooler unless I have to...I already have a Nivida 9500 GT graphics card, 512 MB, what do yee think of this?I also have a 500W power supply but don't really know if this needs to be upgraded?Wanted to go for one of the sandy bridges series but can't for the life of me tell the difference between them exept for speed.I don't know what the K stands for either or the difference between i5 or i7 so a little advice wouldn't go astray, especially with regards to FSX.I'll probably also go for the P67 mobo but is thereanything I need to know before buying a new mobo?Any other recomendations?
"K" offers the ability to over-clock the CPU and I don't know what kind of mother board you have but you may need to upgrade your ram from DDR2 to DDR3 because the LGA1155 sockets and P67 mother boards only take DDR3 RAM.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi! I currently have a Sandy Bridge build and I can vouch for it. It's really amazing for that price point. I got the 2500K. The K basically means that it's unlocked for overclocking. It only costs a few bucks more than the regular version and it's well worth the difference. If you don't know too much about that stuff you can leave it to the automatic tuning utility of many of those Sandy Bridge to help you out to get the most out of your Sandy Bridge CPU. As for the i5 and i7 names, they are basically just there to sort out the features of the CPU. If I'm not mistaken, i7 CPUs have hyperthreading. You will likely need to upgrade your memory as well. As for the power supply, you're probably going to be OK with it, as long as you stay with the same video card.

I have ddr3 Ram. Is Hyperthreading useful for FSX?Also which of the p67 series should I go for and do I need to get a cooler?

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I have ddr3 Ram. Is Hyperthreading useful for FSX?Also which of the p67 series should I go for and do I need to get a cooler?
I don't know if HT is really useful for FSX. I searched a bit on google and there were all kind of opinions. But what I do know is that I was not ready to pay 50% more for it and a 100Mhz frequency difference (2500K is ~200$ and 2600K is ~300$). As for the P67 motherboard, I love my Asus P8P67 Pro. But I love Gigabyte too. If you can get a bundle deal go for it. In the end, the features on those boards are usually the same. Some are geared for the enthousiast in mind with support with very high frequency RAM. Just to be safe, you can also check compatibility with your existing RAM sticks. A new cooler (although somewhat very basic) will be provided with your new CPU. If you plan on overclocking, you should definitely get a new one. I think the best is to search on google for CPU coolers comparisons, roundup and reviews as there are new models all the time.Edit: One thing you should check with the motherboard you buy is SLI and Crossfire support if you plan on going that route. Edit 2: I like this site for reviews. Maybe you can check it out for coolers: http://www.hardwarec...views/cooling/. They also have the Sandy Bridge CPU and Motherboard reviews in their respective sections.

SLI and Crossfire are the names use by AMD (ATI as was) and nVidia to describe how they join two or more of their graphics cards together for increased performance. There was a time when different motherboards supported one or the other but not both so it was important to know which you needed, but with it is not something you need to worry about anymore unless you are thinking of spending some serious money.

What is SLI and Crossfire, in a nutshell?
SLI allows you to take 2, 3, or 4 Nvidia cards and connect them with a SLI bridge. Then you can harness the power of the combined GPUs to give you sweet graphics. Of course the mobo as well as the cards have to be certified to run SLI. Also, just because a card or mobo can run 3-way SLI, doesn't necessarily mean that it can run 4-way SLI. They have to be certified for the specific configuration that you intend to use. Crossfire is basically the AMD/ATI version of SLI. Just remember that Nvidia is better for fsx.

Also, you are really in need of a GPU upgrade. A 9500GT is an ancient card by today's standards. And it only has 512 MB. This isn't enough memory to run the NGX's textures, plus other addons, etc. (according to Ryan)If you will primarily be running FSX, you should get the GTX 560 Ti. This is a great card that wont break the bank. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

Also, you are really in need of a GPU upgrade. A 9500GT is an ancient card by today's standards. And it only has 512 MB. This isn't enough memory to run the NGX's textures, plus other addons, etc. (according to Ryan)If you will primarily be running FSX, you should get the GTX 560 Ti. This is a great card that wont break the bank. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130604
And if I was to also go for that card, would I need to upgrade my 500W power supply?And If Ryan or any of the PMDG teamcould confirm, will more than 512mb be needed for the NGX?

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

you can read power requirements on the Nvidia website in the specs of the specific card you are looking at. For the 580 I know minimum was 650w when I checked.edit: Just had a look for you, 500W is minimal for the GTX560TI. How old is your power supply? The older they get they tend to give out a bit less watts... I've had tonnes of issues with lack of power before I realized that was the problem on my build before this one. I was overclocking and couldnt get it going properly.... 850w helped :-)

you can read power requirements on the Nvidia website in the specs of the specific card you are looking at. For the 580 I know minimum was 650w when I checked.edit: Just had a look for you, 500W is minimal for the GTX560TI. How old is your power supply? The older they get they tend to give out a bit less watts... I've had tonnes of issues with lack of power before I realized that was the problem on my build before this one. I was overclocking and couldnt get it going properly.... 850w helped :-)
2 Years and two months old, don't know what qualifies as old in the computer industry...

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

And if I was to also go for that card, would I need to upgrade my 500W power supply?And If Ryan or any of the PMDG teamcould confirm, will more than 512mb be needed for the NGX?
You should really upgrade your power supply as well. 500W is the minimum for that card, but if you are running an i7 with a GTX 560 at load, I wouldn't be suprised if you get some crashing. Also, please don't hurt yourself by going with another 512 card. You sound a little doubtful over 1Mb, but this is the minimum standard now. Many people have cards with 1.25, 1.5, or 2 GB onboard, so 1GB is certainly reasonable. Really, with a 9500 you must be getting stutters even if your fps is high. You won't believe how amazing a 560 coupled with a 2500k looks!
2 Years and two months old, don't know what qualifies as old in the computer industry...
That's old. :(

SLI allows you to take 2, 3, or 4 Nvidia cards and connect them with a SLI bridge. Then you can harness the power of the combined GPUs to give you sweet graphics. Of course the mobo as well as the cards have to be certified to run SLI. Also, just because a card or mobo can run 3-way SLI, doesn't necessarily mean that it can run 4-way SLI. They have to be certified for the specific configuration that you intend to use. Crossfire is basically the AMD/ATI version of SLI. Just remember that Nvidia is better for fsx.
True or False, If you plan to use dual monitors you can't run trwo video cards in SLI mode - you would need to disable SLI and have 1 video card for each monitor.

Paul Gugliotta

Was hooping not to have to spend too much as the income is down quite alot since november, but with the summer season coming up soon I might have some cash to spare... hopefully...So I'm tending towards the;P8P67 ProA new power supply of 850W (Dunno what brand but don't think that it's that important for power supply)Thinking of a cooler along the lines of maybe a water cooler...i5-2500k Processor (Unless anyone has any other opinions to express)GTX560TI I may get depending on finance and if over 512mb is needed fo NGXAnything else i'm missing out on?

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg