Sign in to follow this  
stebow

cockpit view is limited with a widescreen

I just bought a new computer that runs windows 7 64 bit with a widescreen monitor. With this widescreen, my view from inside the cockpit is now more limited. The peripheral view seems the same but vertically is a problem. All the scenery seems stretched horizontaly while limiting my view vertically. I've tried full screen mode and that seems to work a little better. I was hoping there'd be another option available to take advantage of the wider screen. Thanks in advance for any help. Steve Bowen

The virtual cockpit is the way to go when using a WS Steve. Most panels are made for 4:3.

The 2D panel has to be designed specifically for the widescreen view, due to the different aspect ratio. Many newer payware add-ons have widescreen versions of panels, but otherwise you are stuck with the old 4:3 ratio.

Graeme Butler

I just bought a new computer that runs windows 7 64 bit with a widescreen monitor. With this widescreen, my view from inside the cockpit is now more limited. The peripheral view seems the same but vertically is a problem. All the scenery seems stretched horizontaly while limiting my view vertically. I've tried full screen mode and that seems to work a little better. I was hoping there'd be another option available to take advantage of the wider screen. Thanks in advance for any help. Steve BowenMy widescreen monitor runs best at it "native" resolution. Are you using its native resolution? Your included paperwork with your monitor should tell you what this resolution is; or call the builder and ask them. jerrycwo4

I had to google native resolution. I see that for my computer that 1280 x 800 is supposed to work best. I changed this setting on the flight sim option's tab but there wasn't a noticable difference. The virtual cockpit I see now does help a lot, though it's not my favorite way to play the sim. Thanks guys for taking the time to get back to me.

Steve- if you go into FS9 Panel Config and select your airplane, you can work your way down to the actual FS9 settings for each aircraft. They often differ.Look for a line: VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=X,Y,ZX is the height of the scenery your aircraft designer used relative to the 2D panel. If you alter this, you should be able to solve your problem- ie change the height, then drag the view bottom edge up/down to fit your 2D panel and regain the correct proportions.Adjust in small amounts and Save each time. Have a flight saved with each plane. Then restart the flight to see the difference.Before starting this, either make a backup file or as I do, print out Panel Cfg, then make pencil notes as to changes. You may have to go through several iterations to get it right, including reversing a prior adjustment.I use this to change the view height proportions with all three different views LFwd,Fwd,RFwd on triple monitor views. Each height tends to be different depending on what panel popups I place beneath.Be aware that some views only come down to the panel, other designers use a full monitor view with the panel overlaid on top of the view.You will have to do this setup for each aircraft you wish to fly.(Y value allows tilting of the view/horizon and Z value shifts the angle of a view. Z is used to accurately correct for bezel widths with multi monitor setups.)AR

Thank you January, after looking high & low, I dont see a panel config file in fs9.

Thank you January, after looking high & low, I dont see a panel config file in fs9.
It's there! You have to burrow in to find it. Try-C\ProgramFiles\Microsoft Games\FS9select Aircraft,Airplane,panel,panel. Keep digging!!!!All of which should get you there. Once found, create a desktop icon so you can get there quickly again.And remember it is specific to each airplane.Try reducing the X value slightly which will reduce the view height, then drag the bottom edge down and see if that improves/slenderizes objects? Remember to Save each change as you make it, then restart the Saved Flight to see the effect. And make notes-especially as to what were the original settings!AR

Hi,Don't change the VIEW_DIR line! Change your zoom instead. If you were using a zoom of 1.0 with a "normal" monitor, use a zoom of 0.75 with a 16:9 one.Hope this helps,

Hi,Don't change the VIEW_DIR line! Change your zoom instead. If you were using a zoom of 1.0 with a "normal" monitor, use a zoom of 0.75 with a 16:9 one.Hope this helps,
Tom- Good suggestion- I should have thought of that since I use very small amounts of zoom to correct for different sized monitors in a multi monitor array. A modest side effect, is that apparent distance will change. One mile distance to a runway threshold will appear to be 1.3 miles @ .75 zoom- thus possibly surprising the pilot by how quickly he seemed to arrive!AR

Thanks guys. How do you possibly learn this stuff? I sure am gratefull for all your knowledge

Hi,A while back I did a test of zoom = 1.0 using a normal screen proportion (by dragging windowed FS into a 4:3 proportion) vs a zoom = 0.75 using a 16:9 screen proportion and all objects were exactly the same size on the screen, and the depth perception was exactly the same. When I tried to use a zoom = 1.0 using a 16:9 screen proportion the objects were obviously larger, and the depth perception way off.The reason is that FS adjusts what is "zoom = 1.0", depending on what your screen proportions are. A zoom of 0.75 on a 16:9 monitor yields identical results to a zoom of 1.0 on a square monitor.Hope this helps,