Sign in to follow this  
PatP

VATSIM and AI traffic

Hi I've been looking at VATSIM recently, thinking about signing up.Before I do so, I just wanted to get an idea of how it works; does it run in FSX multiplayer or free flight? More specifically, how does it deal with AI Traffic and traffic addons.Would VATSIM control planes from an addon such as Ultimate Traffic 2? Or does it run separately but along side it. I'm fairly new to the online ATC and am pretty clueless. Thanks in advancePatrick

VATSIM does not use AI traffic or ATC.Instead, you will see other pilots flying on the network and when online, you will be interacting with controllers either by text or voice. To connect to the VATSIM network, you will need to install a pilot client either Squawkbox or FS-Inn.For more information on what to expect you can view the Quick Start Guide that is available at: http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/quickstart/Hope this helps,

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

Ah OK, so any AI traffic is not involved with how VATSIM operates. However, would I still be able to run a traffic addon at the same time? Or is that not usually done..

All aircraft AI Traffic is disabled upon connecting to VATSIM.Other AI Traffic such as ground vehicles, birds, etc. will continue to function.

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

Ok, is there a plugin for connecting that you'd recommend, or that most pilots use?

I have Ultimate Traffic 2 installed and have to edit out the entry in my FSX.cfg or set my sliders to 0 or I will see AI traffic which is generated by UT2. I found that it inhibited my experience as I could not distinguish between AI and online pilots who are taxiing on the ground.I have been using FSCopilot/FSInn and recently tried IVAO's IvAP client as it has a great AI database and a standardized flight plan format. IVAO's AI package is referred to as the Multiplayer Traffic Library (MTL) which is used in conjunction with IvAP. Many online pilots download and install various AI packages and use them to represent online traffic, to date I have found that UT2 and the MTL packages provide more than enough variations for my online sim experience.

\Robert Hamlich/

So you're saying you can use UT2, but it gets in the way of the multiplayer traffic. If I download a traffic client, is it basically like its own traffic addon made specifically for online ATC such ie VATSIM? or does it use UT2's models.

So you're saying you can use UT2, but it gets in the way of the multiplayer traffic. If I download a traffic client, is it basically like its own traffic addon made specifically for online ATC such ie VATSIM? or does it use UT2's models.
Hi Pat,You must un-check both weekly and GA traffic in the UT2 UI. I have found that if an exact model is not found then UT2 defaults to the Daedelus generic model. I have yet to hear about anyone who has 100% complete livery/model coverage while on VATSIM. Larry James was working on a database but there haven't been any updates for some time now. I think the only way to go is by VATSIM adopting a model similar to IVAO whereby there is a standard DB and the flight plan form simply has a dropdown menu's for each detail that must be selected in order to complete it. Quite an advanced system if you ask me and there aren't many misrepresentations while logged on to the network.The only true way to have all liveries and models displayed is by using the IVAO network.

\Robert Hamlich/

So if I want a comprehensive traffic network while I'm flying online, then I should sign up for IVAO not VATSIM? or is it something that IVAO provides that I can use with VATSIM.

Yes, and by all means sign up for IVAO and download the MTL package and you will have the coverage you desire. You can assign the MTL package as part of you AI provided you run AC_ICAO_45 AND FSARF... if you do not have the programs let me know and I will send them to you along with the links to use them. Just send me a PM with your email address.

\Robert Hamlich/

Yes, and by all means sign up for IVAO and download the MTL package and you will have the coverage you desire. You can assign the MTL package as part of you AI provided you run AC_ICAO_45 AND FSARF... if you do not have the programs let me know and I will send them to you along with the links to use them. Just send me a PM with your email address.
Dont you folks find it a bit wierd to read here about VATSIM members getting their problems fixed with IVAO material due to a lack off proper VATSIM software service for years now while constantly chopping the IVAO guys heads off?Cheers

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

Yes a little bit haha.Sorry to be a pain but I still don't quite understand, is there AI traffic when using VATSIM? and what traffic is used, as in, what addon or plugin.All I want to know is if I'm flying that I don't have an empty world and airports around me, and that I could have some real airlines :) not that default FSX crap

Pat, as Marc mentioned SquawkBox comes with its own set of AI and I provided you with info regarding obtaining the MTL package as shown above. I have not tried SquawkBox so I have no idea how to install and enable iit but I did provide the answer for IVAO traffic. If you decide to use FSInn/FSCopilot I could help you if you run into any problems. If you follow the FSInn installation sticky you shouldn't have any issues
Dont you folks find it a bit wierd to read here about VATSIM members getting their problems fixed with IVAO material due to a lack off proper VATSIM software service for years now while constantly chopping the IVAO guys heads off?Cheers
Smoky, I trust your comment is in general terms? I have yet to make any disparaging remarks about IVAO? An amendment to your post would be appreciated.
Yes a little bit haha.Sorry to be a pain but I still don't quite understand, is there AI traffic when using VATSIM? and what traffic is used, as in, what addon or plugin.All I want to know is if I'm flying that I don't have an empty world and airports around me, and that I could have some real airlines :) not that default FSX crap
There is AI depending on the client that you select as Marc and I have pointed out. SquawkBox has its own set, FSInn/FSCopilot once installed has another.

\Robert Hamlich/

Ahhh ok I see. You really can use any software, they'll all have traffic, just not the same.I also saw something on the VATSIM site that helped me:"FSInn displays the traffic around your aircraft in the liveries, you have placed on your system. So, if you have a large number of AI-aircraft sets, you are able to see the aircrafts in their original liveries (because your ai-collection has it on board)."So I guess that does it. I probably should just go step by step for signing up, installing and setting up. There is an option to just spectate on my first session, no? I'd like to get a feel for it first, never done online ATC before :D