Sign in to follow this  
PatP

FSX and addons on two drives

Hi, I recently built a new system and included two drives in the build: one 40GB SSD and one 500GB 7200rpm mechanical drive.Obviously I'll be using the SSD for Windows 7 and FSX (this will probably hit max capacity, but I heard that its okay to fill up an SSD to the brim, true?)My question is, if I'm installing 40GB+ of additional addons, is it OK to install them on the other 500GB drive, or must it go on the same one as where FSX is installed? I don't know.And if I can fit some addons onto the SSD, would it be advisable to put ones with mesh or terrain such as GEX on it for the sake of texture loading? I'll put my specs just to see if they're adequate also: Asus P8P67 Pro Moboi5-2500K Sandy Bridge (stock @ 3.30GHz, but will overclock to 4.0~)8GB 1600mhz CorsairEVGA GTX 460 superclocked 768mhzAsetek Liquid Cooling750 Watt Corsair CMPSU-750TX2 drives as aforementioned^ Patrick

Hi, I recently built a new system and included two drives in the build: one 40GB SSD and one 500GB 7200rpm mechanical drive.
I do not think putting FSX on the SSD is going to make a difference over the 500GB. School has changed with modern drives and the old belief that FSX always goes on the fastest drive has changed; at least for me. Personnaly unless you fly more than you do anything else I would rather have my OS on the SSD to enjoy the faster boot times. That way you could put all of your FSX stuff on the larger drive.If you are bent on having both on the SSD you can store everything that does not have to be installed into the FSX directory on the 500GB. As an example with GEX, it is a large download. Download it to your 500GB drive, then run the installer. GEX will have to install to the FSX drive but what you save on is the backup files and original install files can sit on the 500GB. Same with UTX if you use it. Scenery files e.t.c all the same, run them from your 500GB.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Almost every scenery can be installed on another drive (ORBX, UTX, those bigger packages not for instance, airports are usually no problem) - but the procedure is not automatic. You have to move it manually I think. I know I did it with my scenery.cfg, I moved ALL sceneries, then I edited scenery.cfg to reflect the changes. I did see performance boost. But only for load times. Nothing ingame.Same with SSD. FSX will load faster, but once in the flight - none, zip, nada...

It helps to install big photosceneries on another drive, but some will not go, by ex. ORBX series always goes in FSX folder.If you are using RadarContact the chatters files goes in program files (system drive)RV

Hi, I recently built a new system and included two drives in the build: one 40GB SSD and one 500GB 7200rpm mechanical drive.Obviously I'll be using the SSD for Windows 7 and FSX (this will probably hit max capacity, but I heard that its okay to fill up an SSD to the brim, true?)My question is, if I'm installing 40GB+ of additional addons, is it OK to install them on the other 500GB drive, or must it go on the same one as where FSX is installed? I don't know.And if I can fit some addons onto the SSD, would it be advisable to put ones with mesh or terrain such as GEX on it for the sake of texture loading? I'll put my specs just to see if they're adequate also: Asus P8P67 Pro Moboi5-2500K Sandy Bridge (stock @ 3.30GHz, but will overclock to 4.0~)8GB 1600mhz CorsairEVGA GTX 460 superclocked 768mhzAsetek Liquid Cooling750 Watt Corsair CMPSU-750TX2 drives as aforementioned^ Patrick

But I thought that the SSD was good for improving texture loading, like basically that blurries were nonexistent if you used one of these? If this is indeed true, then I definitely want to put it on there. And I thought with these addons, for the most part, you can choose where to install and therefore what drive a program goes on..Also, I don't mean to be a pain, but does anyone know of the notable addons which are installed in the FSX directory, other than Orbx?

But I thought that the SSD was good for improving texture loading, like basically that blurries were nonexistent if you used one of these? If this is indeed true, then I definitely want to put it on there. And I thought with these addons, for the most part, you can choose where to install and therefore what drive a program goes on..Also, I don't mean to be a pain, but does anyone know of the notable addons which are installed in the FSX directory, other than Orbx?
SSD has notable difference at flight loading and view changes. If you are having blurries while flying, you are either flying a military jet with afterburner at 500ft, where not even best hardware will be able to keep up, or you have a really really slow HDD.Point being: all modern drivers will be able to normally keep up with texture loading, provided you also have a decent hardware in the machine.To sum it up: tested SSD a week ago, completely disappointed in all points you hope to achieve. Not worth the money. Only thing faster is when you for instance change the view, textures that get loaded, load faster.Addons usually only ask where your FSX folder is. Many also have management software (to add or remove details). If you move the files onto another drive, you have to put the path to it into scenery.cfg, but if you do that, the scenery software won't work any more. You can even do that with Orbx, no problem, but run FTX Central, and you will get into trouble.

Addon airplanes also typically get installed to the FSX directory.And to second Word Not Allowed's statement - if you are getting blurries, it is most likelydue to your CPU/memory/GPU, not your harddrive.

Bert

I don't know what you plan on running, but my Win 7 C drive is already 40Gb, and I install everything that lets me on a different drive, and "my documents" etc is also on a different drive. Just my C:\Windows is 21Gb.scott s..

Thanks for the responses!Just another question..With my current configuration (obviously I don't have it yet) listed above, would my 750 watt PSU be adequate for overclocking my i5 to around 4, maybe 4.2 GHz, factoring in all other components also?Even a better question, what would be the max that I could overclock it to?Patrick

Thanks for the responses!Just another question..With my current configuration (obviously I don't have it yet) listed above, would my 750 watt PSU be adequate for overclocking my i5 to around 4, maybe 4.2 GHz, factoring in all other components also?Even a better question, what would be the max that I could overclock it to?Patrick
Enough for anything that CPU can take.

A lot of people, myself included, have gotten it up to 4.8 -4.9. I was at 4.9 but it was a little unstable, so I backed it down to 4.8. I would say that 4.6-4.8 is a good goal to aim for.

Wow that high? I thought the max stable you could hit was 4.3 maybe 4.5. Obviously technology has almost caught up with FSX for the first time!I'm not too advanced when it comes to overclocking by myself, so would using the easy mode in the ASUS UEFI be adequate for optimally overclocking for fsx? Or should I utilize the advanced mode to make changes.If someone knows of a guide for tuning in the advanced mode, that would be appreciated. I don't want to go messing around in there on a brand new computer especially if I'm not exactly sure of what I'm doing.One more question, really sorry to be milking this thread: I'm looking at two LED monitors, HP and Dell, both about 22 inches with 5ms response time. I know the Dell is cheaper, but which one should I go for? I really can't distinguish although the HP looks much better.Thanks againPatrick

I use four separate drives.1. OS2. FSX3. Add-on scenery4. Add-on aircraft.George