Sign in to follow this  
gosta

Greek lawmakers gone mad...

Guest jonpoint

Hey, has anyone else heard about the new Greek laws regarding computer gaming? It appears one can be arrested and fined for even owning a cellphone which includes games - or MS hearts on your Windows PC!?! :~PIt seems the Greek pollies can't distinguish between any game and on-line gambling - sheesh! *:-*Here's an article from ZDnet:http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2121692,00.htmlI know that there are a lot of simmers in Greece (from the great uploads here at Avsim) and I wonder where this will go?Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Well, the first prosecution of a club/internet cafe owner didn't quite go as planned - the court decided the legislature somewhat overshot the mark and passed a law that was unconstitutional... Disposition: Not Guilty.Cheers,Gosta.

Guest jonpoint

Gosta,Thanks for that - some sensibility reigns!So, does their system allow laws to be easily repealed or will it have to go through 3 sittings of parliament?Or will the Layers & Magistrates simply refuse to hear cases? In many cases here, when public outrage surrounds a new law or recent prosecution, many magistrates simply defer the hearings until either the dust settles or the laws are changed.I hope that those who enacted the law get their butts kicked!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Hi Jon,I'm only familiar with the English, German, Canadian, and to an extent, US and French legal systems. But as Greece has a civil law system, I just assume it will be similar in execution to the French or German system. There, the matter would ultimately have to be decided by the constitutional court (if anyone chooses to appeal against a verdict, or just on public interest grounds, in order to clarify an ambiguous law). If the court finds the law is indeed unconstitutional, that would effectively be the end of it - parliament may be required to repeal the law, or it could be allowed to remain on the statute books, but no-one could be prosecuted under it.I'll check up on some Greek legal process and let you know.Cheers,Gosta.