Sign in to follow this  
HA036

Problem with XGauge Installation Wizard

Hi,Purchased ASE this weekend. Am getting the error:Problem checking for access rights to FSX aircraft folders. You may need to adjust your windows security rights and if running Vista, make sure you run this program as administrator (right click the X Gauge Wizard icon). This can also occur when FSX is open. Make sure it is CLOSED before trying again.Have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running w/ SP/1. FSX running with SP2 (no other packs). Am not running any FSX or addon software out of the C: drive.Installed the version that downloaded with the purchase, tried the Wizard...same problem with the error...then downloaded the SP2...same problem with the error using the Wizard. Started every program in the install process with the right clock run as administrator. Am running the following the add-ons: PMDG 747-400, Level-D 763, TrackIR v4, Radar Contact v4, FSUIPC v4.(for the record I have the joysticks turned off and run all controls through FSUIPC...this should have no bearing)., FS2Crew Voice for both the 747 and 763, nVidia Inspector. All other programs are for planning and do not run with FSX except TOPCAT which runs long enough to transfer weight and fuel to the aircraft. As to FSX not executing, I did a boot just before running the Wizard to eliminate that question. Hardware of note: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE OC'd to 3.8GHz on 4GB of G.Skill memory. A couple of 250GB and a couple of 1TB Western Digital drives (none of which should have anything to do with this.). Have tried both with and without ESET Smart Security v4.2.67.10 anti-virus turned on.If I've missed something, darned if I can nail it. Any help is most appreciated.George

Hi,Is FSX installed into the Program Files folder? If yes, then FSX should be installed outside of that folder. Or you need to disable UAC and then run the Wizard.

Hi,Is FSX installed into the Program Files folder? If yes, then FSX should be installed outside of that folder. Or you need to disable UAC and then run the Wizard.
FSX or FS9 is never installed in the program folder. Usually something like G:\FSX\ folder or H:\FS9\*

Hi,What is is your install path for FSX?Are you signed in under the Administrator account?I will not be back for 24 hours now.

Hi,What is is your install path for FSX?Are you signed in under the Administrator account?I will not be back for 24 hours now.
G:\FSXThe account type for my signon is Administrator and UAC is set at the bottom setting. Still used the right click "Run as administrator" just for grins.

G:\FSXThe account type for my signon is Administrator and UAC is set at the bottom setting. Still used the right click "Run as administrator" just for grins.
Have given you my information...any thoughts? Is FS2Crew involved or anything else for that matter. Not understanding the installation process makes it difficult to address my issue, but perhaps I need to take the time. Anywhere I can get some reading material or be pointed to information that might help me? Not trying to rush, just want to enjoy the promise of your product. I already expect I did something stupid, please point it out to me. Thanks.

Hi,Thought you were the same user I was using e-mail to communicate with.Don't right click and run As Administrator. Also make sure your FSX folder is both Read and Write enabled.

Hi,Thought you were the same user I was using e-mail to communicate with.Don't right click and run As Administrator. Also make sure your FSX folder is both Read and Write enabled.
Expect I am one in the same. We can go back to email if you like. I tried again, and did NOT right click to run As Administrator, no difference.

Hi,So now I'll repeat what I said in my last e-mail. There is some security setting on your computer preventing this from working, or the FSX folder is not marked Read and Write enabled.

Hi,So now I'll repeat what I said in my last e-mail. There is some security setting on your computer preventing this from working, or the FSX folder is not marked Read and Write enabled.
So now I'll repeat what I said. On the first post I told of all the add-ons for FSX, which all installed just fine and the new fact that I turned off anti-virus and anti-spyware on ESET Smart Security before attempting the Wizard install. Oh, all those add-ons were added with security turned on. Yes I tried this both ways, security on and off. So I'll try to figure out what is happening.

Hi,Can you edit one of the panel.cfg files and then re-save it in FSX?

Hi,Can you edit one of the panel.cfg files and then re-save it in FSX?
Hi,I opened the LVL-D 763 (no winglets) panel.cfg for edit and then turned right around and saved it. Did NOTHING else. Right now ASE is NOT installed, only the Level-D 767 with and without winglets and the PMDG 747-400X. There are no "default" aircraft that came with FSX installed (they have ALL been removed) in favor of WoAI aircraft which put, for all purposes, no strain on the system.Did you want ASE installed first before I did the above edit of the panel.cfg? ..easy to re-install those aircraft then edit a panel.cfg and do you care which of the 3 aircraft you want the panel.cfg edited? Note: I will never fly or use in my system the default aircraft that come with FSX. I want payware with working FMC's and bells and whistles....yes, I was was a professional computer geek including your thankless job in software customer support so I'll keep my sarcasm in check.Thanks for your help, it really is appreciated.

Hi,I opened the LVL-D 763 (no winglets) panel.cfg for edit and then turned right around and saved it. Did NOTHING else. Right now ASE is NOT installed, only the Level-D 767 with and without winglets and the PMDG 747-400X. There are no "default" aircraft that came with FSX installed (they have ALL been removed) in favor of WoAI aircraft which put, for all purposes, no strain on the system.Did you want ASE installed first before I did the above edit of the panel.cfg? ..easy to re-install those aircraft then edit a panel.cfg and do you care which of the 3 aircraft you want the panel.cfg edited? Note: I will never fly or use in my system the default aircraft that come with FSX. I want payware with working FMC's and bells and whistles....yes, I was was a professional computer geek including your thankless job in software customer support so I'll keep my sarcasm in check.Thanks for your help, it really is appreciated.
Hi,Wondering if any progress is being made on this matter? Would it be easier for me to fill in panel.cfg entries by hand? Something is in the way, but so far no clues.Thanks

Hi,Sorry, I did lose track of this thread. If you have the proper security permissions active then XG will make all the necessary .cfg entries. If you wish to manually enter the line for the planes you fly with, that would be OK also because it looks like you can save the new .cfgs.

Hi,Sorry, I did lose track of this thread. If you have the proper security permissions active then XG will make all the necessary .cfg entries. If you wish to manually enter the line for the planes you fly with, that would be OK also because it looks like you can save the new .cfgs.
Hi,You've lost me now. When you say manually enter the line for the planes you fly, exactly what does that mean? Looking at XG, I see a couple .dll files but no code in text form that I could add to a panel.cfg. Do you have any tricks for seeing where a security permission is failing? One of the Win 7 logs? Maybe a switch or a dump from XG where a return code could be found. I don't know what XG is looking for when it errors off and by extension don't know where the program was looking to claim there was an error. XG has made a decision but I don't know upon what that decision was based and what "branch" was taken as a result.George