Sign in to follow this  
the_nanard

a question to i7 users

i plan to buy a i7 2600k!i'd like to know if you use your i7 with or without the hypertreading for fsx ....thanks for the answer

i plan to buy a i7 2600k!i'd like to know if you use your i7 with or without the hypertreading for fsx ....thanks for the answer
And if it makes difference- Good question!

And if it makes difference- Good question!
FSX can't use HT & some of the chips can OC a bit higher with HT disabled. Hopefully that helps some.I have HT disabled on mine & can't tell any difference either way. Other games/apps may take advantage of HT, but if you're only talking about FSX using it won't help at all.

FSX doesnt use HT, so your better off saving your money and going with the 2500k. The 2500k is nearly identical to the 2600k; but it doesn't have HT. Again fsx doesn't utilize HT. Hope this helps.

FSX doesn't use HT. However, if you're going to use CPU-consuming apps such as Adobe Premiere of any (strong) video/image editing software, you'll like the HT technology, it really makes a difference.So basically if you're only planning on using FSX, an i7 2600k is useless.

i know the use of the hyperthreading but my question was more to know if there is a bad effect in using HT with fsx!

i know the use of the hyperthreading but my question was more to know if there is a bad effect in using HT with fsx!
I did tests with ht on and off and different affinity mask settings and have the optimal settings for me are ht and affinity mask of 13 (this is with a 2600k). I get the same fps with ht on but on certain conditions, I get 2-3 less fps with ht off than on (I dont know why maybe because fsx isn't optimized for ht) and with affinity mask of 13.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

HT also tends to make the chip run hotter, which if you're overclocking can be an issue, as heat tends to be a severe limiting factor in setting up an OC.

[JOBSCHEDULER] AffinityMask=15A yes or a no to add into the fsx.cfg if you own a 2500K or a 2600K?

[JOBSCHEDULER] AffinityMask=15A yes or a no to add into the fsx.cfg if you own a 2500K or a 2600K?
Should be (for 4 cores): AffinityMask=14Hyper Threading OFF, especially for better overclocking.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

If all you're doing is FSX, get the 2500K.
why? Like Im not being cocky,I actually don't know why and I was planning on ordering the 2600k tonight lol So get the 2500k

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

why? Like Im not being cocky,I actually don't know why and I was planning on ordering the 2600k tonight lol So get the 2500k
Because the major difference between the 2500k & the 2600k is that the 2600k has hyper-threading (creates 4 additional virtual cores). FSX cannot take advantage of more than 2 or 3 cores, so HT is completely pointless for FSX.EDIT: Regardless of which processor you buy, you'll still be extremely happy with it.

When I fly I usually have the following open:FSX (with FSPassengers and FSWidgets EFB)ActiveSky EvolutionFirefoxFSBuildTOPCATRadarContactNavigraph nDAC (when flying outside the US)What I've found is that my i7 with HT enabled on Win7 64bit is that all 8 cores are utilized. FSX does not use any of the virtual cores, but other programs do. This is without any core utility running (e.g., Xtreme FSX). Win7 seems to do a reasonable job of utilizing all cores on its own.