Sign in to follow this  
Bennyboy

Keep your old computer...

Until you switch off DX10 preview there's not much I can say. That's probably the reason for all the CTDs

Daz, what are your exact settings. Our rig's are pretty similar but can't seem to hit on a good balance between looking spot on and running smoothly.Cheers
what settings are problematic? mine are pretty standard (no light bloom, water Low 2.x, etc...). Also AffinityMask=14 and RejectThreshold=131072 in my FSX.cfg

Until you switch off DX10 preview there's not much I can say. That's probably the reason for all the CTDs
IT's OFF and was off yesterday, Bloom, shadows, water effect and all other suggested setting by you guys where applied.Thanks guys.

Bennyboy -Read this thread (and the linked threads, too). Follow the instructions. Made a world of difference in my FSX performance. FSX isn't programmed like other games and it doesn't work well out of the box - needs some tuning. The guidance in the links will help.

Until you switch off DX10 preview there's not much I can say. That's probably the reason for all the CTDswhat settings are problematic? mine are pretty standard (no light bloom, water Low 2.x, etc...). Also AffinityMask=14 and RejectThreshold=131072 in my FSX.cfg
Cheers Dario,for some reason Bojote's tool had set the affinitymask to 5 rather than 14??? Put those settings you listed further back in the thread with pretty much Global High, and it's running fantastic. Never ran and looked better. Well pleased.Thanks very much Applause.gif

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Cheers Dario,for some reason Bojote's tool had set the affinitymask to 5 rather than 14??? Put those settings you listed further back in the thread with pretty much Global High, and it's running fantastic. Never ran and looked better. Well pleased.Thanks very much Applause.gif
My GTX 460 had no problems running water at "High 2x". Glad you got it to satisfaction! As for affinity mask, make sure you had selected the right amount of threads and cores on the tool. It's strange that your's would be any different from mine or anyone else's!Also to the OP, the CTD's sound like an overclock stability issue. I'm sorry but you have mentioned that you're a newbie to this stuff, and you're opening argument verified that fact! :P Maybe a little more research and tweaking is in order? No worries, though! This is the place to do that!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Keep you old computer, that is my final thought (and the title of my post) after 6 hours of testing. For the average customer (like me) an I7 and a high GPU does nothing amazing for FSX, not the case for other game.OC at 4.4 was the reason of my machine crashing/freezing, went back the 3.5 and all is fine.GPU, pffffffff, all the same, ATI may win at high res., GTX, not impress at 2560 x 1600, but again, who own a 30in monitor???? XP, dual core 8500, a good card will do as good as a high end machine for FSX. In general I see no difference with the old machine. To get FSX running right I had to lower all slider the way they where with my old machine.Crysis and COD 4 now run like hell at 2560 x 1600, big difference with the old machine.Tonight I went back to the computer store and exchange the 570 for a 580... no difference what so ever in FSX. I almost bought the 6090 but at 700$ that was pushing it.You can OC your 8500-8600 and get the same (or close) result that im getting with the I7 2600K. I'm a casual simmer, like many people out there. I buy more fast and expensive stuff to get better FPS, it's not happening with FSX. No I may not feel like OC'ing or tweaking the GPU, I buy more high end stuff in hopping that I don't need to. Again, it did nothing amazing for FSX.Now, i will be intelligent and spend money on flying for real.Thanks again.

Keep you old computer, that is my final thought (and the title of my post) after 6 hours of testing. For the average customer (like me) an I7 and a high GPU does nothing amazing for FSX, not the case for other game.OC at 4.4 was the reason of my machine crashing/freezing, went back the 3.5 and all is fine.XP, dual core 8500, a good card will do as good as a high end machine for FSX. In general I see no difference with the old machine. To get FSX running right I had to lower all slider the way they where with my old machine.You can OC your 8500-8600 and get the same (or close) result that im getting with the I7 2600K. I'm a casual simmer, like many people out there. I buy more fast and expensive stuff to get better FPS, it's not happening with FSX. No I may not feel like OC'ing or tweaking the GPU, I buy more high end stuff in hopping that I don't need to. Again, it did nothing amazing for FSX.Now, i will be intelligent and spend money on flying for real.Thanks again.
-Wrong!-Told ya'! :Nerd: -Wrong!-Very Wrong!-That is the root of the problem, and I can understand. If you're not getting great performance compared to your aging C2Duo system, don't blame it on the new hardware. Trust me, the new stuff is better.-Best idea yet! Mom and Dad helped me to my CFI, though. :Love:Most of your strong and incorrect claims will be giving some people aneurysms on this forum. :biggrin:

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Keep you old computer, that is my final thought (and the title of my post) after 6 hours of testing. For the average customer (like me) an I7 and a high GPU does nothing amazing for FSX, not the case for other game.OC at 4.4 was the reason of my machine crashing/freezing, went back the 3.5 and all is fine.GPU, pffffffff, all the same, ATI may win at high res., GTX, not impress at 2560 x 1600, but again, who own a 30in monitor???? XP, dual core 8500, a good card will do as good as a high end machine for FSX. In general I see no difference with the old machine. To get FSX running right I had to lower all slider the way they where with my old machine.Crysis and COD 4 now run like hell at 2560 x 1600, big difference with the old machine.Tonight I went back to the computer store and exchange the 570 for a 580... no difference what so ever in FSX. I almost bought the 6090 but at 700$ that was pushing it.You can OC your 8500-8600 and get the same (or close) result that im getting with the I7 2600K. I'm a casual simmer, like many people out there. I buy more fast and expensive stuff to get better FPS, it's not happening with FSX. No I may not feel like OC'ing or tweaking the GPU, I buy more high end stuff in hopping that I don't need to. Again, it did nothing amazing for FSX.Now, i will be intelligent and spend money on flying for real.Thanks again.
Too bad. You should have asked what to buy and then how to set it up. OC should be performed after a stable system. Even with a system that is not overclocked, you should still get much better performance than with your old system.The best advice I can give you is to stick with your new hardware and do a full clean install. It could be the answer to your dilemma.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

BennyboyHang in there. Just a tiny thought. Make sure your FSX cfg shows that your new GPU is listed. Sometimes the sim does not update the GPU line in the cfg file. If it still says your old ATI card, delete that line and restart the sim. I have seen incorrect card entries hurt performance. Besides, I have yet to hear of anyone who can run FSX with everything turned on and all settings maxed. It's all about balance.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Un Quebecois criss de caliss.....I've been in Florida for over 20 years, I was born and raised in Sherbrooke.Nice to see you here, you should be running FSX better than that, I'm not up to date with the 2600K as I don't have one myself but if you look around here you'll find some good info on how to set your rig. Your 2600K can do 4.4GHz easy, you will probably have to make some changes voltage wise, ask the guys who are running one they will tell you how to get the best out of your system.You are right about FSX not running as the newer games will, that's the way it is....X plane 10 is comming as Flight is also.....X plane look really good so far and Aerosoft will be making scenery for it....Now listen to me very carefully here, you do not I repest you do not throw a beer at your system........everything else is ok but NOT a Canadian beer...that's a shame....:Big Grin:

Thank Bob, good suggestion. I will check later. But for the sake of a good discussion.I'm at work, 2 OS, XP & Win7 32, FSX on each, same addon as at home, cheap joystick.The work rig is mostly my old one minus a lower E5200 (2.5ghz) and a lower card, an ATI 36 series.Same airport (Ibiza), same plane (777), running 1680 x 1150, 2 gig of RAM running XP. FPS at 500 feet with about the same setting/slider as at home... - 2 FPS.At home, CPU-Z is showing 1600ghz or so and 3600 or so. So back to normal speed for fun (reading a lot on those new CPU and will learn how to OC them properly. Of course, at home, at 1680 x 1150 res the FPS are in the 80. So far, the main FPS killer is my 30in screen running at 2560 x 1600. Late yesterday I was able to have a stable 25-30 FPS at high res following some good advice here and elsewhere as to setup my slider properly. Of course this machine is far superior but it's NOT obvious at first. For any noob (noober than be) it could be a very frustrating experience.I have put the cover back on the case :-) just in case I try again aiming at the CPU, the Cat is still mad at me :-)