Sign in to follow this  
Mike...

Internet Explorer 9

I've just installed IE9 and it's working fine for the most part, on the Avsim Forums I'm experiencing some odd issues. Links that I expect in a new tab (external links), do open in a new tab, but also in the current tab...Take the following thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/329728-possible-new-tweak-for-fs9/In the second reply, there's a link to FlightSim.com. When I click on it, it opens in a new tab and in the current tab... I've double-checked IE settings and I don't see anything that would explain this behavior. Compatibility View is turned off for the forums. When I turn it on, it does behave normally.In IE8, Compatibility View had its purpose, but in IE9, which apparently is standards compliant (for the most part ;-D), sites should just work, IMHO. So I think there's some tweaking needed.Thanks.

Mike...

Hi Mike, I had exactly the same problem. You are right about the IE9 settings however it seems to me that you still have to set the compatibility view on for the site to work correctly until the site is itself updated to be compatible. I quote below from my IE9 help translated from French to English by Google (but it looks pretty close !)"Web sites designed for previous versions of Windows Internet Explorer may not display properly in Internet Explorer 9. You can usually improve the display of a Web site using the feature called Compatibility View.When you enable Compatibility View, the Web page you visit appears as if you were using an earlier version of Internet Explorer.If Internet Explorer recognizes a Web page that is not compatible, the Compatibility View button appears in the address bar. To enable Compatibility View, click the Compatibility View button for the icon to take a contour color.Therefore, each time you visit this Web site, it will be displayed in Compatibility View.However, if the website receives updates allowing it to display properly in the current version of Internet Explorer, display compatibility is automatically disabled."Hope this helps

Paul

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I'm also currently using compatibility view, but I shouldn't have to anymore. That was my point, now that IE9 is standards compliant, so should the forums. IE8 was a transition in that sense, the compatibility view feature was needed. With IE9's arrival, I think it's time for webmasters to get with the program and not rely on that feature anymore.:wink:

Mike...

Yes I did misunderstand :Sleepy: But you are absolutely right ! Times move on :Loser:

Paul

That link in the other thread opens the other site in the new tab while leaving the AVSIM thread in the earlier tab in Firefox 4.0.