Sign in to follow this  
Andrey

Welcome fsairport.net

Hello there!I create this topic to invite you on new FS related site - http://fsairport.net This is airports database.Let's imagine you are living near by Half Moon Bay airport, California. Is two simple ways to find the airport on the site, first one is to start enter it's name on front page then select from autocomplite list. Second (for sure you know its FSX ID) is go to http://fsairport.net/KHAF - and.. wow! What you'll see there:- Small description about airport (name, country, city, runways etc...).- Small map with general geo appoint (to make sure it's in California in deed).- Large aerial photo (to find your car on airport parking).- Airport photos, if any and possibility to upload them! (you are found of aircraft spotting, right ? So you can make people in rest of the World know how your home-airport looks like from the ground or from the airplane).- Airport diagram, if any and possibility to upload them. (Your uncle Dag is working there instructor, maybe he have some diagrams to share ?).- Wikipedia article link, and, right, possibility to attach it.- List of airports near by.And now most interesting thing:For example your neighbor Jim (Flight Sim fan too) did Half Moon Bay airport for FSX, upload it to avsim.com library, but not great downloads 'cause not many people know about it. You can help him! Creating project profile on http://fsairport.net it's absolutely free and not takes you more then 5 minutes (including registration). So what will Jim got with this "profile" ?- Short and "forever" web address in format: fsairport.net/project_XX- Page will be voteble, twittereble and facebook-likeble :( - Project will be promoted on catalog home page as eternal point on map :( and as link in "last add projects".- Any catalog user (including Jim himself) could add information to his project profile! (Screenshots, videos, reviews, comment, and publishers) - so if sim guys would like his work it will be self-promotable!- If Jim done not only KHAF project, it's not problem to make page fsairport.net/developers/Jim with whole list of Jim's projects, just drop us a line.We are thinking about other interesting features, like "project subscribe" when users would got notification about new information about projects they like/subscribe. Anyway we are open for any critics and help (by the way you'll help us a lot if make more sim fans know about the service)Every of 25000 MS FSX airport is in the site database!Ahh, one more - similar site about FS aircraft add-ons is already working here: http://fsaircraft.net .Users base is the same, so when you are login in one you are logged on second.Thanks for your attention! Have fun!AndreyP.S.I open list of "interesting airports" on the front page, so if you'll find something to share please add, even no registration needed. For "interesting airports" comments are open.

soh-banner.png

Great idea!(greetings from ULAA region)

Artem Crum, EASA PPL
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LINDA Lua Integrated Non-complex Device Assigning
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

This is a very good concept. Good luck with the site. Hope to see it populated soon. Regards,David Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

This is a very good concept. Good luck with the site. Hope to see it populated soon.
Thank you, David!I do believe 90% of FS airports have add-ons, better or best quality. In some years we could say that for sure when catalog will be filled :) Now it's just 50 airports in it, but it shows most popular places :)Andrey

soh-banner.png

Good thing I never bothered to do this myself, because you did it better than I probably could have hacked together :)I have, for the past few months, been contemplating developing a site that simply mapped available sceneries onto a Google Map mashup - this wouldn't just be airports but general scenery like landmarks, cities, etc. The idea would be that, if I wanted to fly somewhere in the world I could look at that spot on the map and see what I would need to get to properly populate that area as accurately as possible. With this, at least I can make sure the airport I plan to land at/depart from has some adequate scenery. It's a start!I will definitely take some time to add the few dozen airports I've modeled so far in NY/NJ (see sig for site)

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

Okay I've added a project to see how it all works. Here's some things I'd like to see before I add any more:

• Developer-to-project link - It would be nice, when going to the Developer list, to click on a developer and see all the projects associated with that developer listed on the site in that developer's profile. (BTW can you add MegaSceneryEarth Airports? Thx)
  • Better image upload - uploading images one at a time is a drag - perhaps the ability to send in a zip file on page creation?
  • Page edit - how do I edit a project page once I've created it? I forgot to add in the description, for example, that MSE textures are required for use with my scenery. I also uploaded the same pic twice by accident and can't remove it.

Plus one bug:

• when adding an image, the Upload button pops up an error, but if I click the Save button without pressing the Upload button (or even after I press it) the image is uploaded fine. So I guess the Upload button is redundant?

And suggestions:

• The airport description is marginalized very narrow for some reason. I'm wondering why it only takes up half of the available box space and isn't allowed to fill the whole area.
  • Can we click on the red dots on the map to access the airport page?
  • The "Logout [username]" should really be two links right? I can't find any way to access my user account page
  • It would be nice if the "Developer" field on the project page linked to the developer profile page

What the... someone pinned airports that are displayed in Earth anyways?? I don't get it. I click on the pin and it just gives me the airport name and directions options. How does this equate to what's being done at fsairport.net? Is there no rule here about just posting a link with no explanation?

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Okay I've added a project to see how it all works. Here's some things I'd like to see before I add any more:
  • Developer-to-project link - It would be nice, when going to the Developer list, to click on a developer and see all the projects associated with that developer listed on the site in that developer's profile. (BTW can you add MegaSceneryEarth Airports? Thx)
  • Better image upload - uploading images one at a time is a drag - perhaps the ability to send in a zip file on page creation?
  • Page edit - how do I edit a project page once I've created it? I forgot to add in the description, for example, that MSE textures are required for use with my scenery. I also uploaded the same pic twice by accident and can't remove it.

Plus one bug:

• when adding an image, the Upload button pops up an error, but if I click the Save button without pressing the Upload button (or even after I press it) the image is uploaded fine. So I guess the Upload button is redundant?

And suggestions:

• The airport description is marginalized very narrow for some reason. I'm wondering why it only takes up half of the available box space and isn't allowed to fill the whole area.
  • Can we click on the red dots on the map to access the airport page?
  • The "Logout [username]" should really be two links right? I can't find any way to access my user account page
  • It would be nice if the "Developer" field on the project page linked to the developer profile page

What the... someone pinned airports that are displayed in Earth anyways?? I don't get it. I click on the pin and it just gives me the airport name and directions options. How does this equate to what's being done at fsairport.net? Is there no rule here about just posting a link with no explanation?

Airports!

Hello Gaiiden! Thank you very much for response! Project is just started so it's oblivious we couldn't saw all "bugs-features-problems", but we are ready to work on. I promise work on all points you note.

Developer-to-project link - It would be nice, when going to the Developer list, to click on a developer and see all the projects associated with that developer listed on the site in that developer's profile. (BTW can you add MegaSceneryEarth Airports? Thx)[*]Better image upload - uploading images one at a time is a drag - perhaps the ability to send in a zip file on page creation?[*]Page edit - how do I edit a project page once I've created it? I forgot to add in the description, for example, that MSE textures are required for use with my scenery. I also uploaded the same pic twice by accident and can't remove it.

Plus one bug:

On site there is "developers list" - it's the list of scenery developers we know about, so when you add project you could choose developer from that list or type a new developer name not listed. Developers name would be connected to Developer profile just if you choose developer from list. But it's not problem for us to do page like this http://fsairport.net/developers/MegaSceneryEarth and now you could find MegaSceneryEarth in the "developers list", so for new projects you add will be listed at your "developer profile" automatically.
when adding an image, the Upload button pops up an error, but if I click the Save button without pressing the Upload button (or even after I press it) the image is uploaded fine. So I guess the Upload button is redundant?
Will check it out, what is the error description ?
The airport description is marginalized very narrow for some reason. I'm wondering why it only takes up half of the available box space and isn't allowed to fill the whole area.
You should see the editor for project description, like on image attached.. Don't you ?
The "Logout [username]" should really be two links right? I can't find any way to access my user account page[*]It would be nice if the "Developer" field on the project page linked to the developer profile page
As for logout link, the concept is - you can just add information, but edit or deleter is only administration role. I do belive it's not bad idea to done it as you offer (two links) this moment you can find your track here: http://fsairport.net/users/your-nick-name/track
Can we click on the red dots on the map to access the airport page?What the... someone pinned airports that are displayed in Earth anyways?? I don't get it. I click on the pin and it just gives me the airport name and directions options. How does this equate to what's being done at fsairport.net? Is there no rule here about just posting a link with no explanation?
It's simple right now - you add project with KBLM, and so KBLM is marked with red point on Earth map. And anyone who would like to check http://fsairport.net/KBLM will see that you did it for FSX. But we'll do that front-page map more interactive in future, btw you can zoom it with mouse clicks.Thank you again, stay turned :)Sorry for my English :)Andrey

soh-banner.png

On site there is "developers list" - it's the list of scenery developers we know about, so when you add project you could choose developer from that list or type a new developer name not listed. Developers name would be connected to Developer profile just if you choose developer from list. But it's not problem for us to do page like this http://fsairport.net...egaSceneryEarth and now you could find MegaSceneryEarth in the "developers list", so for new projects you add will be listed at your "developer profile" automatically.
Okay I see it working now, I guess I clicked on a developer page that had no associated projects! Very nice.I would still like the ability to edit my own submitted content, however.
Will check it out, what is the error description ?
I don't have another image to upload to see and don't want to add another duplicate I can't remove (by the way can you delete that extra picture? The third to last is a repeat)Besides, the Save button seems to work just fine so I guess what I'm saying is that the Upload button doesn't even need to be there since I can just select an image, click "Save" and it uploads.
You should see the editor for project description, like on image attached.. Don't you ?
No I'm talking about how it actually appears on the page (using Firefox 3.6.15)
As for logout link, the concept is - you can just add information, but edit or deleter is only administration role. I do belive it's not bad idea to done it as you offer (two links) this moment you can find your track here: http://fsairport.net...nick-name/track
I tried http://fsairport.net/users/Gaiiden/track but it says page not found

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Okay I see it working now, I guess I clicked on a developer page that had no associated projects! Very nice.I would still like the ability to edit my own submitted content, however.
Probably so MegaSceneryEarth Airports wasn't in developers list, it takes few moments to add new developer and associate it with his project.Then, about content edit, I need to explain. The Idea is that not only developer can create "Project profiles", in other words, any one can add information about RealAir's, SibWings's, Aerosoft's, MegaSceneryEarth's whatever projects. So with such concept it's not good decision to left edit rights to page submitter. And then, let's imagine what do you would like to edit on project page ? Release date, license, project home page... they all are constants, on any issue on the page just drop us the line clicking on (!)-button. But anyway we are thinking on idea when user-developer could edit all the pages related with his company, but now it's early to talk about it.
I don't have another image to upload to see and don't want to add another duplicate I can't remove (by the way can you delete that extra picture? The third to last is a repeat)
Done.
Besides, the Save button seems to work just fine so I guess what I'm saying is that the Upload button doesn't even need to be there since I can just select an image, click "Save" and it uploads.
Well it's "tails" of CMS system used, but anyway if image is okay in it's parameters (size and format) it will be uploaded with "save" button, to check this you may press "upload" first.
No I'm talking about how it actually appears on the page (using Firefox 3.6.15)
Fixed. When you copy text from html page it copyes tags as well however you do not see them, I think this was the problem..
I tried http://fsairport.net/users/Gaiiden/track but it says page not found
Roger. Sorry me you are right, I confused with http://fsaircraft.net :) will do that.Andrey

soh-banner.png

Can we click on the red dots on the map to access the airport page?
Well done - now you have access to airport page and to project page by clicking on red points.Andrey

soh-banner.png

Then, about content edit, I need to explain. The Idea is that not only developer can create "Project profiles", in other words, any one can add information about RealAir's, SibWings's, Aerosoft's, MegaSceneryEarth's whatever projects. So with such concept it's not good decision to left edit rights to page submitter. And then, let's imagine what do you would like to edit on project page ? Release date, license, project home page... they all are constants, on any issue on the page just drop us the line clicking on (!)-button. But anyway we are thinking on idea when user-developer could edit all the pages related with his company, but now it's early to talk about it.
Really, my only concern with this issue is that if I happen to not catch a stupid mistake I make on something even after previewing it I need to pester you to make the change. Also if someone adds one of the airports I developed but gets a factoid wrong or messes up something in the description then I need to bug you about fixing it. Really it's just easier for you in the long run I would think :) I'd be okay with regular users being able to submit but not modify but developers should really be allowed to modify anything submitted by anyone under the developer's name.Everything else is great. Well, the single-image upload still sucks but yes, it's early in development so I will accept that no problem. I'll add some more projects tonight.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

new question: what about airports not included in the default FSX database? For example I have two heliports that I modeled for the NY area. One in particular is pretty well fleshed out, H43 Haverstraw, and is a public heliport. Any way to add those in the future?

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog