Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Aircraft Folder renaming question

Hello AllWhen you move a newly downloaded aircraft into the main FS9 Aircraft folder it has name ie POSKY 737 MALEV or suchlike.Can that name be changed? The reason i ask? because inevitably whenever I start a flight these days there is bound to be some reason I need to open the aircraft folder of the plane I have selected for my flight. As my aircraft folder is ever increasing trying to locate the relevant aircraft model folder can sometimes take ages scrolling up and down trying to locate it.If I could alter the name to show exactly the model and the airline would mean I could locate that folder much quicker and save much faffing about.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Why not make a note of the current name of the folder and then change it to whatever you want it to be and see what happens? If it doesn't work then you can just change the name back to what it was before.David

Why not make a note of the current name of the folder and then change it to whatever you want it to be and see what happens? If it doesn't work then you can just change the name back to what it was before.David
Yes Sir you are right. I had thought of this myself, but I thought I would ask anyway .Just for the sheer hell of it .Drooling.gifAndy

You can change the name of any aircraft's folder and it will load fine. However, if any *other* aircraft rely on that aircraft for either panel or sounds that link will be broken.Hope this helps,

You can change the name of any aircraft's folder and it will load fine. However, if any *other* aircraft rely on that aircraft for either panel or sounds that link will be broken.Hope this helps,
OK Tom thanks. Not quite sure what you mean though.What about keeping the aircraft's folder name the same , but adding the extra details in brackets at the end or something like that.Cheers Andy

OK Tom thanks. Not quite sure what you mean though.What about keeping the aircraft's folder name the same , but adding the extra details in brackets at the end or something like that.Cheers Andy
No way to add comments to a file folder name - it becomes part of the name. The point is that if you have another aircraft that refers to the renamed one (for example a sound or panel alias), you will have to change that reference to the new name.DJ

No way to add comments to a file folder name - it becomes part of the name. The point is that if you have another aircraft that refers to the renamed one (for example a sound or panel alias), you will have to change that reference to the new name.DJ
Ok Thanks DJ I understand now.cheers Andy

Hi,What I do is :-In the aircraft cfg file for your example; ui_manufacturer=Boeingui_type=737-xxxui_variation=MalevWorks for me...good luck,Dave

Hi,Another reason to be carefull with renaming aircraft folders:- Addons with "configurators" might get confused; especially if they have registered pathnames in the Windows registry.- Same goes for Un-installers- Some gauges in the panel of the addon may rely on absolute pathnames (relative to the main FS folder) for initialisation or configuration files. Like the frequently used XMLsound gauge from Doug Dawson, that uses an .ini file to define relations between private variables and pathnames of related sound files. (unless you adapt them too :( ).Rob

Hi,Another reason to be carefull with renaming aircraft folders:- Addons with "configurators" might get confused; especially if they have registered pathnames in the Windows registry.- Same goes for Un-installers- Some gauges in the panel of the addon may rely on absolute pathnames (relative to the main FS folder) for initialisation or configuration files. Like the frequently used XMLsound gauge from Doug Dawson, that uses an .ini file to define relations between private variables and pathnames of related sound files. (unless you adapt them too :( ).Rob
OK Rob. I think I will knock this idea on the head. Thanks to all who replied.wink.gifcheers Andy