Sign in to follow this  
B747400F

GTX580 and Nvidia 266.58 drivers... dll errors?

Has anyone else started seeing g3dll errors with the latest nvidia drivers for win7 64bit and the gtx580 video card?Suddenly I am crashing to the desktop with these error messages in the windows application log.Usually happens on approach to an airplane, tried different regions to make sure it wasn't PNW Blue or something causing it.

I have the same drivers and win7 64 bit but I´m using a GTX 260 and I´ve never encountered such an error.

Strange. I rebuilt my fsx.cfg file too and still g3d.dll errors after 10-15 mins of flight anywhere in the world.

Guest xz69

Hi, yes, I just had a g3d.dll crash today. And like you, it was in PNW Blue territory (which I have installed), around Seattle, on approach to landing. I haven't figured out anything else at the moment but I'm still investigating. If I find anything I'll post an update. Be grateful if you could do likewise.MickySorry, I forgot to add that I'm also using Win 7(64-bit) and GTX580, but the drivers are 263.09Micky

I thought it was just PNW, so I flew in Europe... disabled that scenery, same crash. Ugh

Happened to me and after driving myself nuts trying to diagnose that and a bunch of other software errors, I upgraded the power supply and all the problems disappared. I might have had a defect in my power supply but I also get the impression the 580 is a little more power-hungry than advertised. What PSU are you currently using?

I don't have a GTX 580 but I have a GTX 570 and I'm getting the same errors. Once it happened about 20 mins into my flight. Next time it happened 45 mins into my flight. FS is basically unplayable for me right now. I hope to hear back from you guys about what solutions you guys might have come up with

Christopher Edwards

I've had them a couple of times too. My cards are overclocked but not convinced that is the cause. Pretty sure it they occur on approach as well. Win7 64 SP1??

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

What addons do you all use? REX? Activesky? Reality-xp stuff? Just trying to narrow it down. I have an 800watt power supply so I don't think it's the problem.

What addons do you all use? REX? Activesky? Reality-xp stuff? Just trying to narrow it down. I have an 800watt power supply so I don't think it's the problem.
I actuall use none of them but I maybe will use them in the future when I have a better system which can handle these things.

I am running Win 7 x64 SP1
I was questioning whether anyone remembers if the problems started after Win7 SP1 was installed. I use ASE, REX, UTX, GEX, Ulimate Traffic 2.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

I just added a new motherboard and video card to this build. Before I didn't have SP1 installed. Also i was using older nvidia drivers but I can't remember which one

Christopher Edwards

Can you all check your terrain.cfg file in the main fsx folder?Search around for some lines later on, especially those installed by Ultimate Terrain. There might be some that say something about effects or wave= with nothing after. Let me know if you all find those lines with an equals sign but nothing after it. I have removed a few of those lines, installed by UTX Alaska, and my sim seems to be running dll crash free right now.EDIT: Of course, just a few minutes after posting this above... 2 days of error free flying, now another d3d.dll crashFaulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb58Exception code: 0xc0000005

I hate to keep harping on power and your problems may lie elsewhere but there's one other issue to check - the 580 power requirement includes the need for 42 amps on the 12 volt rail. That's a total system demand, not the demand for the card alone. But if you have a power supply that can't provide 42 amps to the 12 volt rail, you could run into difficulties even if the overall wattage is sufficient. There's some commentary on the video forums - google "580 power single rail" for more. Hope this helps. I'll try to check the terrain.cfg later and see if anything turns up there.