Sign in to follow this  
B747400F

GTX580 and Nvidia 266.58 drivers... dll errors?

My psu is 800 watts.
Yes, but the power delivery to the 12-volt rail is a different spec, measured in amps. Chances are you're fine, but it's worth checking the 12-volt rail figure, since it's theoretically possible that even an 800-watt PSU isn't meeting that requirement. Unlikely, but worth a look.

Where do I check that? Here is what I bought last yearhttp://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-ATX12V-Certified-CrossFire/dp/B000LD6OOW/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

I had this exact same problem but only at ORBX YBBN on approach to 01. It would start with the frame rate going up and down and the view jiggering about, then CTD.I spoke to some guys over at the ORBX forums and they advised me to try with built-in or addon traffic turned off/right down and it made a slight difference; i.e. I could get about three miles further in. I did a bit of research and it seems that most of these errors are to do with corrupt BGL files not quite matching or some addon autogen not being in the right place.I would try running *******' FSX.cfg editor over on his website and selecting the Vsync fix. It has made a whole lot of difference to flying over heavy autogen. Also, I run Nvidia inspector with NickN's settings and that made a lot of difference too. I no longer get the problem at YBBN. I guess because my FR is "locked" at 30/60 or whatever with Vsync the CPU has a chance to deal with the BGL issues? I have an O/C PNY GTX580; ORBX; REX2 HD. I have a 650W PSU also and it seems fine.I had a GTX295 prior to the 580 and it was much, much worse. Couldn't fly in or out of YBBN really..

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Do you by chance have any OZx scenery installed?I run 0% all traffic, nothing not even airport vehicles.

Where do I check that? Here is what I bought last yearhttp://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-ATX12V-Certified-CrossFire/dp/B000LD6OOW/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics
There are more specs on your PSU available here at Newegg. Now, I'm by no means an expert on power supplies - I've had my recent problems, and that's about the extent of my experience - so I'm going to have to defer to others here who are more knowledgeble than I am. What I do notice is that your PSU is a six-rail model, with 18 amps on each 12-volt rail. A while ago, I remember hearing from a number of people that there was a preference for single-rail PSUs like this one. The theory was that with multiple rails, a given rail could become underpowered even if the PSU as a whole was putting out enough power. I've never put that to the test and it may be an old wives' tale. Maybe a hardware expert can step in here and tell us whether there might be an issue with the amount of power your PSU is able to deliver to the card, even if its overall power rating is good.Like others in this thread, I've also had video-related crashes when using complex aircraft in complex sceneries. Mostly I get the "sound freeze" - the one where the screen locks up but the sound keeps running. It's supposedly curable by adding uiautomationcore.dll to the FSX root folder, but that never worked for me. What worked was upgrading the card. I had lockups with the Carenado Cessna 208 north of Orbx Seattle (a known problem area, in the vicinity of Paine VOR). I cured them by moving from a 280 to a 480. Then I had similar lockups with the PMDG 747 in the same place. I cured them by moving from the 480 to the 580. I wouldn't be surprised if there were combinations of aircraft and scenery that the 580 can't handle. I haven't found one yet but it's early in the game.Again, I hope all this is helpful and I hope also that friends who know hardware can step in and provide some additional guidance.

thanks for the help, I might just get that psu. Do you think I might not have enough voltage set for my oc to 4ghz? Could that also be it?

There are more specs on your PSU available here at Newegg. Now, I'm by no means an expert on power supplies - I've had my recent problems, and that's about the extent of my experience - so I'm going to have to defer to others here who are more knowledgeble than I am. What I do notice is that your PSU is a six-rail model, with 18 amps on each 12-volt rail. A while ago, I remember hearing from a number of people that there was a preference for single-rail PSUs like this one. The theory was that with multiple rails, a given rail could become underpowered even if the PSU as a whole was putting out enough power. I've never put that to the test and it may be an old wives' tale. Maybe a hardware expert can step in here and tell us whether there might be an issue with the amount of power your PSU is able to deliver to the card, even if its overall power rating is good.Like others in this thread, I've also had video-related crashes when using complex aircraft in complex sceneries. Mostly I get the "sound freeze" - the one where the screen locks up but the sound keeps running. It's supposedly curable by adding uiautomationcore.dll to the FSX root folder, but that never worked for me. What worked was upgrading the card. I had lockups with the Carenado Cessna 208 north of Orbx Seattle (a known problem area, in the vicinity of Paine VOR). I cured them by moving from a 280 to a 480. Then I had similar lockups with the PMDG 747 in the same place. I cured them by moving from the 480 to the 580. I wouldn't be surprised if there were combinations of aircraft and scenery that the 580 can't handle. I haven't found one yet but it's early in the game.Again, I hope all this is helpful and I hope also that friends who know hardware can step in and provide some additional guidance.
Alan, there's nothing wrong with multi-rail PSU's really. Besides, two of those six rails are 28A, so he should be ok
thanks for the help, I might just get that psu. Do you think I might not have enough voltage set for my oc to 4ghz? Could that also be it?
why don't you go back to stock clocks and test it like that? that way you can rule out OC as the culprit

The power supply is only good enough for sure if it has two dedicated graphics card connectors. If the OP is using converters from the molex plugs rather than dedicated connectors then he needs to make sure that the pair of molex connectors being used are not both using the same rail. EVGA recommends a minimum of 42amps and a single 12v rail for the 580.

Cheers, Andy.

The power supply is only good enough for sure if it has two dedicated graphics card connectors. If the OP is using converters from the molex plugs rather than dedicated connectors then he needs to make sure that the pair of molex connectors being used are not both using the same rail. EVGA recommends a minimum of 42amps and a single 12v rail for the 580.
The 42A recommendation doesn't mean a single rail for the GPU, nor 42A for the GPU alone, it's 42A for the total system, assuming it's on a single rail, AndyI would expect a 850W, six rail, SLI rated PSU to have plenty of those PCIe connectors anyway :biggrin:It has 2x8 pin PCIe and 2x6 pinThe 28A rails are the 8 pin PCIe, so simply use one 8 pin and one 6 pin connector, and that's plenty juice for the 580http://www.hardwares...ly-Review/538/6

EVGA recommends (not demands) a minimum of 42amps on the 12v rail for the GTX580. I didn't look at the power supply mentioned above as I don't really care, I'm sure the OP is smart enough to investigate that for himself, I was just reiterating what EVGA recommends for their 580. I added the part about it having single rail by mistake, they dont actually say that but I still standby my recommendation because rails that are rated for such high amperage are generally much better designed and made than rails supplying the same amperage but split over 2 rails instead of 1.

Cheers, Andy.

EVGA recommends (not demands) a minimum of 42amps on the 12v rail for the GTX580. I didn't look at the power supply mentioned above as I don't really care, I'm sure the OP is smart enough to investigate that for himself, I was just reiterating what EVGA recommends for their 580. I added the part about it having single rail by mistake, they dont actually say that but I still standby my recommendation because rails that are rated for such high amperage are generally much better designed and made than rails supplying the same amperage but split over 2 rails instead of 1.
No Andy. Again, that's the recommended amps for the TOTAL SYSTEM. It recommends a 600W and 42A PSU for the total system, not just the GPU. The 42A thing is just because two 600W PSU's can deliver different amounts of power depending on the 12V rail. Some manufacturers rate their PSU's based on peak wattage, some based on sustained, as you surely know, but no GPU needs 600W or 42AAbout the single rail thing, it's a myth Andy: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

Dazz you are trying to teach me to suck eggs mate, I says 42 amps on the 12volt rail, simple as, I know it does not mean that the GPU will draw 42amps. I'm not going to argue with you, I know you like to start arguments on here and I'm not going to fall for it, so drop it.

Cheers, Andy.

Dazz you are trying to teach me to suck eggs mate, I says 42 amps on the 12volt rail, simple as, I know it does not mean that the GPU will draw 42amps. I'm not going to argue with you, I know you like to start arguments on here and I'm not going to fall for it, so drop it.
I'm not trying to start an argument and I'm sorry if I missunderstood you. I just wanted to address the OP's issue and he has a great PSU, that shouldn't be a problem unless it's faulty, That's allPeople keep recomending ridiculous PSU's and if I can help keeping them from wasting time and money, I'm happy with you or anyone else interpreting that as trying to start arguments cause that's not true and it's plain to see

I'm sure for me its not a PSU issue. I'm waiting for new drivers to come out to see if that may help. I hate to go back since I play other games besides FSX so I like the increase in performance I get from newer drivers.

Christopher Edwards