Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Flight! will be free?

Sorry when I have to disappiont you, it will never be free. Do you really think that microsoft developes a new sim for lots of money and then they´ll give it away for free? - On what planet are you living? Of course it will cost money. The free means that you can fly free like a bird, noone can stop you.

Sorry when I have to disappiont you, it will never be free. Do you really think that microsoft developes a new sim for lots of money and then they´ll give it away for free? - On what planet are you living? Of course it will cost money. The free means that you can fly free like a bird, noone can stop you.
Microsoft Corporation acquired Caligari then released Caligari's trueSpace7.6 for free. Microsoft has spent over $100 million per year on Internet Explorer and has had over 1000 people working on it. When was the last time you had to pay for Internet Explorer?Regards, Mike Mann

I think they're trying to imply you can "fly" whenever you want without paying... no?

Microsoft Corporation acquired Caligari then released Caligari's trueSpace7.6 for free. Microsoft has spent over $100 million per year on Internet Explorer and has had over 1000 people working on it. When was the last time you had to pay for Internet Explorer?Regards, Mike Mann
With all due respect, IE is not free, it comes as part of ant OS that you pay for, IE is not void of commercial representation either, last time I checked there was lots of non-corporate involvement in the form of marketing.

\Robert Hamlich/

Yep you will be able to fly for free right after you have you purchased Flight and installed it. You won't need to pay for lessons, licencees, insurance, rental time, gas, pilot memberships, storage, etc. See, all that is now free. I am sure you get it now, but if not, I can also explain what: "As Real As It Gets" means also. :( :( :( B)

:( I met a fellow who spoke with a strong Dutch accent and he told me that he worked as a technical manual proof reader…in English.Because English was his second language he was particularly good at picking up ambiguous wording.He listed about a dozen phrases that made perfect sense to me yet were completely incomprehensible.So yeah, literally it’s hard to tell what MS is trying to say in Webisode3.Free is free no?Maybe, since it's not really flying it's not really free either. :(

Guest veeray

Next time somone asks this question we'll just have to cut and paste Jim's response.

Next time somone asks this question we'll just have to cut and paste Jim's response.
It’s still not free then is it? You can have all the free lunch you like once you pay for it. :(

You guys are good! Also note that MS did NOT say own Flight for free, only fly for free. :( :(

With all due respect, IE is not free, it comes as part of ant OS that you pay for, IE is not void of commercial representation either, last time I checked there was lots of non-corporate involvement in the form of marketing.
Not correct. My Windows XP did not come with IE 8, yet I could download it for free (if I wanted to, but I prefer Firefox). For what it's worth, I don't think you will see a freeware flight simulator (sorry, not simulator anymore) from Microsoft soon, if ever. On the other hand if everyone started downloading and using FlightGear flight simulator that would probably change very quickly!Regards, Mike Mann

Guest veeray

Current European Union releases do not contain IE. The rest do I believe.

Current European Union releases do not contain IE. The rest do I believe.
That's because the EU gave into to pressure from other companies (such as Google, Apple, Mozilla and Opera) making competing products in an anti-Microsoft mood. It's as stupid as forcing car manufactuirers not to build-in radios but leave an empty slot so that buyers can fit their own.

Guest veeray
That's because the EU gave into to pressure from other companies (such as Google, Apple, Mozilla and Opera) making competing products in an anti-Microsoft mood. It's as stupid as forcing car manufactuirers not to build-in radios but leave an empty slot so that buyers can fit their own.
If I recall the official ruling was a choice between having all 5 browsers on the disc or not having any at all. What they ended up doing is legally defining what is and isn't acceptable behaviour. Now not only can you get the browser online for free, you get Visual Studio, Office Live, Firewall and Antivirus, SQL Database, Paint, etc etc...

Microsoft IE was about protecting their operating system only. While IE had not even been started yet, Netscape, with their Navigator was going to sell it with it's own operating system. Gates dropped every other project he was working on and quickly developed IE to head off this crisis. He had underestimated the impact of the Internet and how it alone could sell computers. Then when completed, Microsoft included IE with their operating sytsem for free, Netscape filed a lawsuit to block it from being given away like that on anti-trust allegations. They did not win that lawsuit but may have made a private settlement (I don't know). I think they did make certain concessions in Europe.That stand alone operating system fight continues today in cell phones, TV's, and "books". "Windows Live" is another effort to secure the use of Microsoft Windows as the operating system of choice. And "Flight" is an important tool to help bolster "Windows Live". It's all about preserving the cash cow..... Windows.Bob - Las Cruces, NM

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.