Sign in to follow this  
Johnny19

Huge AI traffic landing lights

Hello!is there any fix for it? is it supposed to like this? it's like you can not even see plane, just hug ball of light! thank you!

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

yeah, mine are like that too, really stupid looking to say the least, really kills the immersion factor.

Ciao!

Look in the file library for a file by Michael J Fox Swannick called fsx_lights.zipThat will make them smaller.Just make sure to backup your original 4 files in case you dont like it and want to go back.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Look in the file library for a file by Michael J Fox Swannick called fsx_lights.zipThat will make them smaller.Just make sure to backup your original 4 files in case you dont like it and want to go back.
Thank you!

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

cmpbellsjcThose files appear to change the approach lights on the runway, not the landing lights on the AI aircraft. Do you have any other suggestions as I have the same problem? CheersJohn Burroughs

cmpbellsjcThose files appear to change the approach lights on the runway, not the landing lights on the AI aircraft. Do you have any other suggestions as I have the same problem? CheersJohn Burroughs
Sorry but not really any other suggestions. I'm not actually using the package by Michael, but when he made those lights there was a post here on Avsim about the oversized AI lights. It was then that Michael made the package that I suggested and I remember a lot of people installed it and it seemed to work for them to tone down the size of the lights. However, since I personally have never use the package I personally cant say either way. I was just recommending it since it seemed to work for a lot of other poeople who tried it and posted back saying that it worked for them. Personally, I just live with the huge light orbs and I guess after looking at them for almost 3 years now in FSX I have gotten used to them. I do wish they were smaller, but I haven't really been that put off by them to try using different light packages to modify them.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Guys,The fix I made a while back should reduce those large landing lights. Keep in mind, they will also make changes to your other lights.AI_Lights1.jpgAI_Lights2.jpgAI_Lights3.jpgAI_Lights4.jpgAI_Lights5.jpgI've also made the following changes to my FSX.CFG file, shown below.[DISPLAY]RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.8RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.9RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.2Keep in mind these changes were made for my triple monitor setup, but they have worked for many others with single monitor setups. You may have to adjust the runway lights in the fsx.cfg file.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

My partial solution to this problem……Go to your main Texture folder and either rename halo.bmp to Halo.bmp -BAK or remove it to a temporary folder for day operations. Make sure you backup your original file. By doing this you will remove the unsightly landing lights on all aircraft during the day. Keep in mind you will want to put it back in place for dusk or night operations as you will also lose runway approach lights and any other night lighting dependent on the halo.bmp, these are not missed during daylight hours.This works very well for me as most of my flying is during daylight hours……… When I return the halo.bmp file to the texture folder for flying at night all the aircraft landing lights looks as you would normally expect them to look…… Only takes a few seconds to do this prior to flying....JayDub

There are quite a few alternative halo.bmp files out there - I seem to have accumulated five over the years, although I'm not sure where they all came from ! One is Mike's, and another is NickN's (from Simforums), and another is named FTXhalo, although I don't think it's anything to do with ORBX.They all improve the situation (with suitable adjustments to the Scalar settings as above), but they all have wrinkles/side effects on my setup (front projection, not TH2GO). So I'm thinking of having a go at creating my own, but I have a question (which is probably for Mike). The halo.bmp file has four separate images. How/when are each of these used ? I initially assumed they corresponded to the four times of day (dawn/day/dusk/night), but I don't think that's actually the case ?

Hi,The HALO.BMP texture file is broken down into 4 quadrants, with each representing a different type of light (nav, strobe, etc). They have nothing to do with the time of day.

There are quite a few alternative halo.bmp files out there - I seem to have accumulated five over the years, although I'm not sure where they all came from ! One is Mike's, and another is NickN's (from Simforums), and another is named FTXhalo, although I don't think it's anything to do with ORBX.They all improve the situation (with suitable adjustments to the Scalar settings as above), but they all have wrinkles/side effects on my setup (front projection, not TH2GO). So I'm thinking of having a go at creating my own, but I have a question (which is probably for Mike). The halo.bmp file has four separate images. How/when are each of these used ? I initially assumed they corresponded to the four times of day (dawn/day/dusk/night), but I don't think that's actually the case ?

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Ah - thanks Mike. Do you know which quadrant sepcifically relates to which ?

Hi,Its been a while since I worked on the halo.bmp texture file; but if I remember correctly, its as follows.1. Upper Left Quadrant: Aircraft Lights (Landing & NAV) other than the FX files called via FX_2.bmp2. Upper Right Quadrant: Runway End Identifier Lights (Flashing Strobes)3. Lower Left Quadrant: Airport Lighting (Taxiway Center-line, Taxiway Edge, Runway Center-line, Runway Edge, VASI, Touchdown Zone Lighting, Approach Lighting Systems (Non-Strobe), Runway End Identifier Lights (Non-Strobe)4. Lower Right Quadrant: Approach Lighting System (Sequenced Flashing Strobes)I'm sure someone will be able to correct me if I'm wrong or missing anything.Hope this helps