Sign in to follow this  
sonaljay7

What is the average FPS I should be getting?

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions. My rig is listed below:Core i7 870 (at stock speed)EVGA GTX 570 SC6GB 1333mhz RAMAntec Kuhler Shelf500 GB HDDa) I downloaded mega airports heathrow but i cant seem to get anything above 20 FPS steadily. Am i missing something or is my rig just unable to handle it?:( how do those guys in youtube get such smootheness in their videos, i am just stumped?Please help

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions. My rig is listed below:Core i7 870 (at stock speed)EVGA GTX 570 SC6GB 1333mhz RAMAntec Kuhler Shelf500 GB HDDa) I downloaded mega airports heathrow but i cant seem to get anything above 20 FPS steadily. Am i missing something or is my rig just unable to handle it?:( how do those guys in youtube get such smootheness in their videos, i am just stumped?Please help
Simple answer is to overclock that i7 to somewhere above 3.85ghz, however the easiest thing to do in the meantime is pare down your settings for that area, plus understand that Aerosofts "Mega" hubs like Heathrow aren't exactly the most optimized FPS friendly airports out there when you compare them to FSDT, FlyTampa, Flightbeam, or UK2000's work.That being said probably the five biggest FPS killers in FSX are: Scenery Complexity, Autogen, Amount of Aircraft/Road/Boat AI, and Water settings, and cloud draw distances, however in this case water settings probably wont make much difference.As a starting point try lowering your settings on the above and put water at Low 2X and cloud draw at 60 miles is a good place to start. If your using stock AI for airliners and GA lower it a lot because its not very FPS friedly compared to aftermarket or freeware AI packs. Load a flight in the area and once you find a level of performance that suits your needs then you can start turning up features a little at a time. Personally I would start at Nornmal levels for Scenery Complexity and Autogen Density and then work up from that setting. You can also consider using REX or FEX which offer some DXT cloud replacement textures that will help to pick up some FPS as well, plus they look a lot better than the stock clouds.Have a look at NickN's setup guide also if you haven't already http://www.simforums.com/Forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.html

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Simple answer is to overclock that i7 to somewhere above 3.85ghz, however the easiest thing to do in the meantime is pare down your settings for that area, plus understand that Aerosofts "Mega" hubs like Heathrow aren't exactly the most optimized FPS friendly airports out there when you compare them to FSDT, FlyTampa, Flightbeam, or UK2000's work.That being said probably the five biggest FPS killers in FSX are: Scenery Complexity, Autogen, Amount of Aircraft/Road/Boat AI, and Water settings, and cloud draw distances, however in this case water settings probably wont make much difference.As a starting point try lowering your settings on the above and put water at Low 2X and cloud draw at 60 miles is a good place to start. If your using stock AI for airliners and GA lower it a lot because its not very FPS friedly compared to aftermarket or freeware AI packs. Load a flight in the area and once you find a level of performance that suits your needs then you can start turning up features a little at a time. Personally I would start at Nornmal levels for Scenery Complexity and Autogen Density and then work up from that setting. You can also consider using REX or FEX which offer some DXT cloud replacement textures that will help to pick up some FPS as well, plus they look a lot better than the stock clouds.Have a look at NickN's setup guide also if you haven't already http://www.simforums...topic29041.html
Hey, thanks a lot for your reply. Yeah i was doing some research and found out out that mega airports isnt that FPS friendly. Download Fly Tampa right now. I ll see how this goes!

If you dont already use it, you can also try switching FS to windows mode and setting your FPS to Unlimited, it works wonders on some machines, but the OC should still be done.

Jay

If you dont already use it, you can also try switching FS to windows mode and setting your FPS to Unlimited, it works wonders on some machines, but the OC should still be done.
Thanks, will try it out. I was a bit reluctant to OC, but i guess ill have to do it. By the way, is it okay to overclock with turbo on>?

Guest wims

Make sure you read up on overclocking before you start tweaking any settings in your bios. You wouldnt just start to trim and tweak the engine of your car without knowing anything about it would you? Same thing with overclocking. Read up on the concepts before changing a setting. The guides should explain turbo.

Make sure you read up on overclocking before you start tweaking any settings in your bios. You wouldnt just start to trim and tweak the engine of your car without knowing anything about it would you? Same thing with overclocking. Read up on the concepts before changing a setting. The guides should explain turbo.
Dear Wims,Would you have any good guides that you know of?

You need to pay attention to the recommended slider settings for the Mega Airports. They vary greatly depending on who actually produced them, not the marketer. I compared Frankfurt and Boston Logan and Frankfurt has the sliders mostly to the left and Fly Tampa Boston has them mostly to the right. Frankfurt also has external controls over traffic, static displays, seasons, train traffic, etc. KBOS has none of that. The old FPS meter reflects that extra attention to details for EDDF.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

SJYou also need to look at your RAM configuration you have 6 GB on board occupying 3 or 4 slots but the best RAM configuration for an i7 870 on a 1156 mobo would be 2 x 2GB modules or 2 x 4 GB modules in the appropriate slots, Your 6GB of RAM is actually using quite a few unproductive resources and the rig would run much better with only two slots filled.RegardsPeterH

SJYou also need to look at your RAM configuration you have 6 GB on board occupying 3 or 4 slots but the best RAM configuration for an i7 870 on a 1156 mobo would be 2 x 2GB modules or 2 x 4 GB modules in the appropriate slots, Your 6GB of RAM is actually using quite a few unproductive resources and the rig would run much better with only two slots filled.RegardsPeterH
Dear Peter,Do you think so? So if i remove one of my RAM's, do you think it will improve my FPS?Hey guys, since all of you seem to think that its probably my processor slowing me down, I have decided to go for change. The current MOBO i have and the i7 870 is quite complicated to overclock, for me at least :D.So i ve decided to buy a sandy bridge processor. In your opinion is the i7 2600k, worth the extra $100, or should i just go for the i5 2500K which seems a sweet deal. Just remember my main purpose is FSX and some other games!thanks

How would you set the FPS to unlimited? the best I can ever get on my system is a mere 10 FPS D:

How would you set the FPS to unlimited? the best I can ever get on my system is a mere 10 FPS D:
Settings>Hardware tab. Put the FPS Lock slider to the very right. Or was the question humor? :(

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Dear Peter,Do you think so? So if i remove one of my RAM's, do you think it will improve my FPS?Hey guys, since all of you seem to think that its probably my processor slowing me down, I have decided to go for change. The current MOBO i have and the i7 870 is quite complicated to overclock, for me at least :D.So i ve decided to buy a sandy bridge processor. In your opinion is the i7 2600k, worth the extra $100, or should i just go for the i5 2500K which seems a sweet deal. Just remember my main purpose is FSX and some other games!thanks
You realize you need a new motheerboard with the sandy?K

Use the autogen tweak in the FSX.cfg to reduce the amount of trees and buildings displayed.Use the external limiter and set frame rates in FSX to unlimited.Use REX2 smaller cloud textures or simply avoid flying in heavy cumulus clouds.Try gamebooster from IObit and see if that gets you a few more frames.Optimise your FSX.cfg with Bjote's website:http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.htmlFinally, avoid flying in big cities with complex aircraft and scenery; these can bring any system to its knees.Do all that and you might get 30 frames/sec.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

I have an I7 875K which is the same processor as yours but with an unlocked multiplier. I saw good gains when after overclocking it above 3.8 GHz and saw even better when I got it up to 4.13 GHz (limit on my air cooling). Even after all of that though there are still times where my FPS suffer, one good example is flying the PMDG 747 into or out of FSDT's KJFK with bad weather. So even after getting a good chip with a stable overclock it's still give or take depending on the third party addons being used.