Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

GNS-530 Problem/Question

I purchased the GNS-530 ( GPS ) program from Reality XP and then installed it intosome FSX aircrafts.Now I notice that the NAV section only contains 5 pages instead of 7 as in theGNS Trainer from Garmin.Basic info and vertical navigation are missing.Anybody having an idea why ? What are your experiences with this program ?ThanksHerbert Werni

Herbert Werni

I purchased the GNS-530 ( GPS ) program from Reality XP and then installed it intosome FSX aircrafts.Now I notice that the NAV section only contains 5 pages instead of 7 as in theGNS Trainer from Garmin.Basic info and vertical navigation are missing.Anybody having an idea why ? What are your experiences with this program ?ThanksHerbert Werni
You may get a quicker response posting your question here:http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum12.html

The Reality XP 530 is not quite what you might expect in terms of controls. This is saying nothing of comparison to the actual unit as I have no experience with it. However, my understanding of how the Reality XP unit works is that it is an interface between the trainer software from Garmin and FSX. With that said, according to the Garmin documentation, the NAV group should include 5 pages, Default NAV, Map, Terrain, NAV/COM, and Satellite status. There are additional options to the NAV group if TCAS or Weather Radar are installed. Meanwhile the 430W according to garmin contains one less map page replaced by a page with more navigation information such as ETA and GSPD, I think this is what you are calling Basic Navigation.VNAV is a button along the bottom of the unit. Its functions are not terrible useful in my opinion. You can put in target altitudes at a given waypoint and desired descent rate and it will let you know when to begin descent.

The Reality XP 530 is not quite what you might expect in terms of controls. This is saying nothing of comparison to the actual unit as I have no experience with it. However, my understanding of how the Reality XP unit works is that it is an interface between the trainer software from Garmin and FSX. With that said, according to the Garmin documentation, the NAV group should include 5 pages, Default NAV, Map, Terrain, NAV/COM, and Satellite status. There are additional options to the NAV group if TCAS or Weather Radar are installed. Meanwhile the 430W according to garmin contains one less map page replaced by a page with more navigation information such as ETA and GSPD, I think this is what you are calling Basic Navigation.VNAV is a button along the bottom of the unit. Its functions are not terrible useful in my opinion. You can put in target altitudes at a given waypoint and desired descent rate and it will let you know when to begin descent.
When I purchased the program it claimed to be like the real thing ( GNS-530 ),otherwise I would not buy it.What also bothers me if the difference between the Garmin Trainer and the unit I got.

Herbert Werni

When I purchased the program it claimed to be like the real thing ( GNS-530 ),otherwise I would not buy it.What also bothers me if the difference between the Garmin Trainer and the unit I got.
First off all this is the wrong forum. Second, if you're not happy, flight1 offers 100% refunds for 30 days.Third, read the god damn manual, if you can't figure you're at the wrong place for theses questions I bet you haven't even opened the manual.Fourth, VNAV works 100%, both on the RXP 430 and the 530. And it works exactly like a real deal GNS 530W. If you haven't figured out how it works, READ THE MANUAL.Eric Blais

Just to clarify, when I said it wasn't what you expect in terms of controls, that is because most developers don't even try to make it work like the real thing. So the Reality XP simulation, being more accurate, takes some getting used to. Reality XP uses the trainer to work, so I do not know why you feel it is different.

Eric I have to say your tone is unnecessary and does not befit the original posters query/criticism.Not everybody has time to read the 'god damn manual' and so a question is a quick alternative. Not only that we can all benefit fro the answer.Would you prefer to have your head bitten off if you ask for help, even if it is not posted in the right place.I don't usually comment on stuff like this but tonight I have Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

I think you are mixing up things - the 530 trainer and the 530 RXP GNS are identical - and very much"like the real thing".The 430 trainer has more NAV pages than the 530 trainer - maybe that is where you are getting confused..

Bert

Eric I have to say your tone is unnecessary and does not befit the original posters query/criticism.Not everybody has time to read the 'god damn manual' and so a question is a quick alternative. Not only that we can all benefit fro the answer.Would you prefer to have your head bitten off if you ask for help, even if it is not posted in the right place.I don't usually comment on stuff like this but tonight I have Tom
While I agree with the comment that there is no reason to have this kind of tone in a post and our responses should be supportive, this does bring up a larger issue. As more complex add on products are developed and released from vendors like Reality XP and PMDG, I have to disagree with the comment that folks don't have time or are not expected to read the documentation. These products are now modeling upwards of 90+% of the real world systems they are based on. In the G530W case, for my real world flying it took me several hours of ground school, many hours of reading and a few hours in the cockpit to feel comfortable using the instrument during a flight. For the NGX, it has been discussed here several times describing the intense training that goes on for weeks to get a type rating. And this is on top of all of the other training the pilots have already completed. I believe our community needs to understand that there is a price for our hunger for products that are "as real as it gets" :( The expectation that we can just load these products and use their sophisticated capabilities without doing any homework is no longer realistic. If you want to use VNAV on the G530W your going to have to understand the concept of VNAV and read the documentation on how to use the 530 to do it. For most, the 530 is not intuitive enough to allow one to just fire it up and figure it out.For me, the homework/learning process is one of the most rewarding aspects of aviation. This stuff is just so cool!!! :( My intent of this post is not to start a fire. I am just suggesting that the more real the products get, the closer to real world training we are going to need to use the products to their fullest capability. Working with PMDG is what finally motivated me to complete my real world training! :(

As more complex add on products are developed and released from vendors like Reality XP and PMDG, I have to disagree with the comment that folks don't have time or are not expected to read the documentation. These products are now modeling upwards of 90+% of the real world systems they are based on........I believe our community needs to understand that there is a price for our hunger for products that are "as real as it gets" :(
Approaching 90% of queries we get are instantly solvable by reading our docs! Thanks for posting this.Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I believe our community needs to understand that there is a price for our hunger for products that are "as real as it gets" :( The expectation that we can just load these products and use their sophisticated capabilities without doing any homework is no longer realistic. If you want to use VNAV on the G530W your going to have to understand the concept of VNAV and read the documentation on how to use the 530 to do it. For most, the 530 is not intuitive enough to allow one to just fire it up and figure it out.
If you really seriously want to read up on GPS WAAS navigation and how to get the most outof your Garmin GPS avionics - G1000 or GNS530/430, order and read this one book:http://www.maxtrescott.com/max_trescott_on_general_a/2009/07/new-max-trescotts-gps-and-waas-instrument-flying-handbook-.html

Bert

First off all this is the wrong forum. Second, if you're not happy, flight1 offers 100% refunds for 30 days.Third, read the god damn manual, if you can't figure you're at the wrong place for theses questions I bet you haven't even opened the manual.Fourth, VNAV works 100%, both on the RXP 430 and the 530. And it works exactly like a real deal GNS 530W. If you haven't figured out how it works, READ THE MANUAL.Eric Blais
Fifth : if according to you everything is in the manuals then why not abolish the Forum.

Herbert Werni