Sign in to follow this  
Dave Morgan

Wot, no books?

Does anyone have any good suggestions for aviation reading material? I'm looking for anecdotal, biographical or fictional stuff, not text books.In my small youth I borrowed Biggles (don't laugh) from my old man's bookshelf and have just finished David Fiddimore's 'Tuesday's War', which didn't really have enough flying or ground-ops in it. The only other aviation literature I've read is Bob Mason's 'Chickenhawk' documenting his year in Vietnam with the 1st Cav. (Best book I've read in a while).What else is out there, as I'm stuck for a good read? Any walk of life, and any nationality, just as long as it's about flying.D

Dave,Are you looking for any particular period or type of flying? If not, I can recommend a couple:"Fate Is the Hunter" - Ernest K. Gann"Flying Fortress" - Edward JablonskiAlan :(

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I used to work at an aviation bookstore and during the down time I would read all our books we had. Here are a few of my suggestions:Anything written by Ernest Gann. Some were made into movies by John Wayne. Flight of Passage Rinker BuckNorth Star Over My Shoulder Bob BuckWind Sand and Stars Antoine de Saint-ExuperyThe Starship Diaries Dallas Kachan

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet!Yeager
yEAH THAT IS A GOOD ONE AS WELL

..and then there's Paul Brickhill's The Dam Busters. Still in print (Pan Military Classics) despite original publication date of 1951.EDIT: I liked Biggles myself. Especially the WW1 tales, with Biggles on dawn patrol in his Sopwith Camel :(

I always liked Freefall: From 41000 feet to zero about the Gimli Glider, or Air Canada Flight 143 that ran out of fuel at FL410 and landed on a race track. William Hoffer gets into a lot of detail on the 767 systems and what went wrong on this flight:Freefall: From 41,000 feet to zero - a true story, William and Marilyn Hoffer, Simon & Schuster, 1989 ISBN 978-0671696894

Matthew Kane

<< Does anyone have any good suggestions for aviation reading material? I'm looking for anecdotal, biographical or fictional stuff, not text books >>Hi Dave...Ernest Gann's 'Fate is the Hunter' is a must. There's only one snag - you will notbe able to put it down. (..and you will need a hankie after reading a couple ofthe chapters). My family know when I'm reading that one....That is the crown ofaviation books. An excellent biography.Another author of mine - Brian Lecomber. His two books that I have, 'Talk Down'(Where our hero has to talk down a passenger in an Arrow over the UK)and 'Dead Weight' (A Carribean adventure) are brilliant.Down To A Sunless Sea' by David Graham is also one of my favourites - told by a747 pilot in a 'Last 747 flight' searching for a landing strip after a nuclear war.A brilliant tale.'Jetsteam' by Austin Ferguson, although a little dated by now, is a good read.I think that one was the source for the 'Airport' films.That good. original, now very dated, 'Flight into Danger' by John Castle & Arthur Haileyis also a good read. '90 Minutes At Entebbe' by William Stevenson, is a good read, although the aviationcontent is minimal, most of the action takes place on the ground. This was the story ofOperation 'Thunderbolt', the Israeli rescue of hostages.Most of these books have been made into films.Regards0.9nm SW R03 EGOWBill

Wow!Wot a lot of books. I'll be visiting Amazon and the Book Depository later. They should keep me going for a month or two.Cessnaflyer, what a fine place to work- two of the best things life has to offer under the same roof. Raindance, The only title I was unsure about was 'The Camels are Coming' :( .Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll be putting the shelves up this weekend.Kind regards,D

DaveIt might not be to everyone's liking, but Richard Bach's 'Nothing by chance', 'Biplane' and 'Stranger to the ground' are good reads. So is Jonathan Livingston SeagullJohn

DaveIt might not be to everyone's liking, but Richard Bach's 'Nothing by chance', 'Biplane' and 'Stranger to the ground' are good reads. So is Jonathan Livingston SeagullJohn
Thanks for the reminder John. I read JLS and Illusions years ago and had forgotten about Richard Bach entirely. Itinerant ex-service barnstormer must have a few good tales to tell.Regards,D

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet!Yeager
Was thatBunny Yeager's Pin-up Girls of the 1950sorSelene Yeager's Ride Your Way Lean:Tounge: