Sign in to follow this  
maldo

trackir 5

I like to know if anyone is using trackir 5 to flight the md 11.

Fernando A. Maldonado

Sure, wouldn't want to fly without it!Markus

Markus Burkhard

Same here, sometimes get a bit of a stiff neck, but then I take a break and freeze the TrackIR and use the old fashioned hat switch. But overall its the best addition to flightsimming I have ever bought.

@MarkusMarkus, my memory isn't too reliable these days, but I seem to recall a post a while ago in which you said you might share your MD-11 EZCA camera settings once you had them to your satisfaction. Am I mistaken? (And if not, have I missed your post?) :( Cheers,Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

I was a little skeptical at first about how the IR would perform in the game.......wow am I glad that I bought it, now I don't fly without it. It enhances the 3D cockpit like you wouldn't believe. Think about a turning approach, you can line yourself up much easier when you can move the view back and forth very quick and precise vs. using the hat switch which can get annoying and no where near precise enough to the view you want your eyes focused on.

Hi Maldo,I bought TrackIR5 at the beginning of this year 2011, and i wouldn't be without it now. I'm flying PMDG MD11 most of the time, and although i'm still playing around with the TrackIR software to improve the way the cam moves in the sim. Thing is, it works, and well. If i had to comment on anything, it's the fact that you occasionally lose contact with the detector on the monitor when looking up or down in the MD11 as some of the switches and controls are high up in the cockpit or low down. If your using the supplied hat clip, the detector can be affected by reflections in the room, which can cause unwanted flickering of the view. The alternative Pro clip is supposed to be alot better in bright environments as it contains IR lights in the clip, although you will need some headphones to mount the Pro clip on the side of. I haven't had chance to try the Pro clip yet myself, as the hat clip so far has been ok.Hope this helps someDave Phillips.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

@MarkusMarkus, my memory isn't too reliable these days, but I seem to recall a post a while ago in which you said you might share your MD-11 EZCA camera settings once you had them to your satisfaction. Am I mistaken? (And if not, have I missed your post?) :(
Brian,you're right! And I DID buy the software and try to set it up. However, I had to realise that this software is a major pain to set up, it really is. I'm by no way new to desktop flight simulation, but this thing is horrible to use if you don't have pre-defined settings for an aircraft (I guess this is the reason you are still looking forward to my settings after all those months?). At some point it ruined my MD-11 installation in a way that whenever I loaded the plane, I got the mouse pointer all flickering and blocking the system. And then I went looking for people who have set up the tool for other aircraft, and could find just one such file. I figured I would need one month vacation to have the tool ready for my fleet of planes I fly on FSX. So I gave up and deleted the thing before finishing my MD-11 setup. Sorry...The basic idea for this software is amazing, it really is! But for me to use it again it has to be MUCH more user-friendly and less buggy, and way better documentation for all those head movement sliders. So who knows one day I'll use it again, but for now I just don't have the time to use a software which is as complicated as EZDok... Too bad really... would love to use it, the basic idea is amazing!Cheers,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi Markus!Many thanks for your reply! :(

I guess this is the reason you are still looking forward to my settings after all those months?
<grin> Absolutely right!To be fair, I have had more success than you, seemingly, although I have also noticed some unexpected interactions here and there.But then I bought EZCA and opened up a much bigger can of worms: at that point I suddenly realised that TrackIR wasn't as bad as I had thought.... :( And like you also, I continually find that I'd rather be flying when I have a few hours to spare (and not fiddling around with the software), hence I am still looking forward to the possibility of a quiet day or two at some point to get my TrackIR/EZCA troubles sorted out.Reading many posts on the various fora about this it seems to me that the world is divided into two camps — those who get TrackIR and/or EZCA sorted out within an hour, and those of us who experience inexplicable and long-running problems. My hypothesis is that it depends on what hardware is in use, but who knows? :( All the best,Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg