Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Installing FS9 folders to an external drive

I am moving abroad soon and as an interim measure want to install a copy of my FS9 setup onto my laptop (as I won't immediately be taking my main 'high end' FS9 PC with me). The laptop is a Dell XPS M1730 and I know it runs most FS9 stuff well - it is what I used before I bought the new PC for FS9/FSX - it will certainly be far better than no FS9 at all for the first few months.My question is this: given that some of my FS9 folders are now so huge, I am not going to be able to fit everything onto the laptop hard drive, so will have to run one or two of the FS9 folders from an external USB2.0 drive. I am not sure which folders would be the better or worse choices for this - maybe someone has some ideas. Obviously the frequency of read and necessary speed of read would be important. The folders that could be on the external drive would be 1) all my FSGenesis mesh (full FS9 set, 60GBs or so) 2) all my 3rd. party freeware addon airport sceneries from AVSIM etc. 50GBs or so 3) all my other 3rd. party payware airport/terrain software, from Aerosoft, Flight1, JustFlight, UK20000 etc.Probably the choice would be between the freeware sceneries (all contained in a folder called Addon Scenery 2) or the FSGenesis mesh. I have a huge Aircraft folder too, but that can't be moved out of the FS9 folder (as far as I am aware). Would one or another be a better candidate for running from the USB drive, so as not too impact on performance (stuttering!) too much?Martin

Hi,I have my FS9 ( Renamed My FS2004) 60GB and an out of the box Flight Simulator 9, for testing new inputs before transferring to My FS2004 in my my main Drive "C".On my external 2TB hard drive I have 3 interim versions of FS9 plus FSX plus X-Plane 9.All of these are capable of being run from the external drive directly, so I see no problem in copying FS9 or whatever to an external HD.Dave

Further to my last... I also have FS2002 on my external HD. I still have the disc(s) for FS98 so maybe I`ll add that too!Dave