Sign in to follow this  

Hello guys,I'm trying to push my E8500 as high as possible on my Asus P5QL pro and the only way I can get it to boot past 4Ghz is by setting the PCI frequency to 102. My FSB is at 422 with a 9.5 multi.With those settings I can boot into Windows and run Prime with max temp of 52-53 degrees.Are there any negative effects of running Pcie higher than the "usual" 100 ?My Gfx card is a GTX 460 768MB.I think my MB is probably at it's max, but it's nice to run the chip at about 4ghz untill I upgrade.Thanks

I´ve seen other examples of people clocking the pcie to 102, so I guess it won´t hurt (more than the expected wear and tear of an overclock).Bjorn

That's pretty standard practice for LGA 775 systems. I believe I used to set mine to 101 or 102 when I was still running a Q9550.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

I really believe that E8500 should be able to get higher than that. What voltage are you using? What RAM and RAM settings/timings/voltage?I could easily push my old E8400/780i combination to 4.2GHz on voltages lower than max recommended and great temps with a Cooler Master V8. I never touched PCIe Frequency. I'm not boasting, just suggesting that your E8500 should be able to squeeze out more, easily.You could be right, though. The motherboard may just be at it's max.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

It's largely dependent on the motherboard. My P5Q-EM, which had the G45 chipset, had an absolute FSB limit of 420 regardless of the CPU multiplier. The northbridge just wouldn't handle anything higher.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

Thanks for the replies guys,I think I will try to push it higher with higher voltages. I'm now at 1.31 on the vcore. My RAM is 4GB of transcend TX1066QLU-4GK an it usually crashes if I try to run it at 1066. I'm running it at 844 with 5-5-5-15.I'm really not sure if I should push the PCIE frequency a whole lot more to try to achieve a higher clock. Like CMEEKS said, I'm guessing 422 FSB is the max on my board. My cooler is also a V8 Coolermaster, and keeps the temp decent.At least I'm in the 4Ghz club....barely..

Thanks for the replies guys,I think I will try to push it higher with higher voltages. I'm now at 1.31 on the vcore. My RAM is 4GB of transcend TX1066QLU-4GK an it usually crashes if I try to run it at 1066. I'm running it at 844 with 5-5-5-15.I'm really not sure if I should push the PCIE frequency a whole lot more to try to achieve a higher clock. Like CMEEKS said, I'm guessing 422 FSB is the max on my board. My cooler is also a V8 Coolermaster, and keeps the temp decent.At least I'm in the 4Ghz club....barely..
No wonder! 1.31V is pretty darn low for 4GHz! I'd say you've done a decent overclock! 1.3625V is the max recommended by Intel, and I always used that number as my absolute MAX on the E8400. (A lot of people burst through this recommendation, though :Nail Biting: )Take my word with a grain of salt, as I'm not the one who purchased your system. But personally I ran a Vcore of 1.36V for 2 years before selling the system. Never saw temps over 70C with prime.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Try to increase timings to 6, still pretty fast, next try setting 2T.Bjorn

Thanks again for the replies. I tried upping the voltage but still can't get past 422 FSB. I'll try changing the timings to see if it helps.

You will need more than just raising the core voltage, you will also need to raise the NB and SB voltage to run at 1066MHz atable at 5-5-5-15 1T, how much more?? that you need to find that out by testing for stability.PCI-e frequency is not the solution, higher MHz = overclocking with higher GHz..... I had my old Q9650 at 4.32GHz with memory at 1200MHz 5-4-4-10 1T, took me one week to fine tune it, so be ready to play with the voltage a little.Read this, you'll understand a little more about overclocking, it's not your board but it will help you... scroll down almost to the middle... http://www.evga.com/.../tm.asp?m=61146Always keep an eye on the temp.

None of my voltages are on auto...I tried upping them all. My MB is the culprit here and there's nothing I can do about it. It'll have to do untill Sandy comes my way... :Praying: Thanks for all your replies.

Could also be a psu issue. I once wasted a weeks worth of tweaking until I looked at the 5V line in OCCTs graphs, the voltage was too low, faulty psu.Bjorn

Could also be a psu issue. I once wasted a weeks worth of tweaking until I looked at the 5V line in OCCTs graphs, the voltage was too low, faulty psu.Bjorn
I actually was thinking that too and replaced my old (very noisy) cheap coolermaster 650 with a new Corsair TX 750 a few days ago. Went as far as removing everything from the MB, including CPU cooler, reapplied paste and put everything back together. Still same result. Oh well, it's definately not lack of trying. :smile:

Hawwwww! stupid me, I should have look at that before......:Whistle: Your mobo can't run 1066MHz.....top speed is 800MHz.......:Silly: Look here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131401&cm_re=Asus_P5QL-_-13-131-401-_-Product sigh! :Hug:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YYermRswb7n46yAXThis is actually the MB I have. I think it has something to do with being a P43 chipset. Not really a big deal I guess. As I said, hopefully Sandy is coming my way soon... :rolleyes: But don't tell that to my wife..lolOff topic, I just added 2 2000rpm Coolermaster fans in my case(for a total of 5 fans plus CPU cooler) and it dropped my iddle temp by 4 degrees celsius.The only thing is that it's lot more noisy..wife is going to be annoyed... :blink: